Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave 9-5 job for a job with 80% travel?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Very few employers are willing to subsidise tourism. You arrive in time to start work and you leave on the first available flight after you finish. Sometimes that means arriving late night and dealing with a 4-5 hour time difference when starting work next morning.

At the end it sometimes means hotel checkout after breakfast, work all day and straight to airport for flight home. If its long haul that flight could be at midnight.

Some business trips are nicer than others but at the bottom of the ladder, they tend to be at the ****tier end of the spectrum. It goes with the territory but a starter job with 80% travel is no holiday, no matter how imaginative you are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭I own an applewatch

Nody wrote: »
    He's looking at a low level consultant job; if he gets the above he should be happy but the point is business travel very seldom have any free time even if staying over weekends as those tends to be worked through as well. That's from working for/with people at SAP, IBM, Accenture, Genpact, iNet, JP Morgan and ton of other companies as well.

Maybe the OP is better than you at striking a work/life balance?

I remain firmly in the 'go for it' camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

That's what YOU did, the OP's configuration could differ wildly.

A normal Dublin workday is even more banal.

It's what this chap did because that's what the environment dictates in almost every consultant/technical role.

A business is hardly going to pay for you to go half way around the world to socialize and travel as a tourist and have you do a little bit of work. A lot of these businesses will want you flying out on the Sunday. Into the office on Monday and if Thursday is your last day they will want you flying home that night to save on paying for another nights accommodation. Same goes if it's Friday. You'd be lucky if you got to stay an extra night where you have no work the next day. Of course you could pay yourself to stay longer and just use the flight home that's paid for at a later date.

Your work day is still going to be largely 8 or 9 am in the US. And they tend to work beyond 5 pm in a lot of businesses in the US. You could easily get back to the hotel at 5:30 if you finished at 5 and spend the evening going out exploring the city. But if it's going to be at the detriment of you being prepared a little better the next day. Then you will get bad feedback and you won't last long in the job. It costs a business a lot of money to pay for contracts that support onsite visits. So you can best believe negative feedback will filter it's way back if you were under-prepared due to not following up on some topic because you went off playing tourist.

I backpacked alone for 2 years straight when i was younger. So i've no issue going off alone. I love it. But it's a completely different ball game when traveling for work about 95% of the time.

It's what this chap did because that's what the environment dictates in almost every consultant/technical role.

A business is hardly going to pay for you to go half way around the world to socialize and travel as a tourist and have you do a little bit of work. A lot of these businesses will want you flying out on the Sunday. Into the office on Monday and if Thursday is your last day they will want you flying home that night to save on paying for another nights accommodation. Same goes if it's Friday. You'd be lucky if you got to stay an extra night where you have no work the next day. Of course you could pay yourself to stay longer and just use the flight home that's paid for at a later date.

Your work day is still going to be largely 8 or 9 am in the US. And they tend to work beyond 5 pm in a lot of businesses in the US. You could easily get back to the hotel at 5:30 if you finished at 5 and spend the evening going out exploring the city. But if it's going to be at the detriment of you being prepared a little better the next day. Then you will get bad feedback and you won't last long in the job. It costs a business a lot of money to pay for contracts that support onsite visits. So you can best believe negative feedback will filter it's way back if you were under-prepared due to not following up on some topic because you went off playing tourist.

I backpacked alone for 2 years straight when i was younger. So i've no issue going off alone. I love it. But it's a completely different ball game when traveling for work about 95% of the time.

The OP needs to give it a crack for a year and see for himself.

The Too-scared-to-leave-Dublin brigade should stop trying to hold him back.

In misery there's company...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

My job involves a lot of travel. I enjoy it as I am currently single but will not be doing it forever. Getting a chance to experience other countries and how things work is great. Meeting new people and sampling other cultures is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

If the job requires 80% travel you may as well look for 6-8 month contracts abroad. where you can at least have stability and some sense of a routine. Put it in perspective, that's 10 months a year. Are you close to friends, hobbies or anything that is important and not willing to give up? I've done the travel thing at about 30-40% of the year and it is pretty miserable going from hotel to hotel and missing stuff at home. You put an awful lot on hold, but it depends on your own lifestyle too, you have to weigh it up.

It may further your career or it may not and just burn you out, depends on the company. A 4k pay rise is no where near enough to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

It's nothing to do with trying to hold someone back. It's making somebody aware of what they are getting into. Most of my friends thought i lived a great life. From the outside it looks brilliant that somebody is getting paid to go to far flung cities around the world. But the reality on the inside is a little different. So i'd always make anyone considering going into a role with a lot of travel aware of the most likely circumstances.

As i said earlier, I've done both types of travel. 2 years straight backpacking is probably longer than most people ever experience and i'd do it all again in a heartbeat. I'd encourage anyone to go travel. I'd even encourage someone to jack in their job and go traveling to experience it. I'd also advise people to stop listening to the scaremongering of "dangerous" countries and just go for it. But traveling with work is completely different and you need to temper the expectations to something more in line with the reality of it. If they are all taken on board and it still seems like something they want to try. Then i'd say go for it. But you can't just come out with comments like "Maybe the OP is better than you at striking a work/life balance?". Usually increasing one affects the other when traveling with work. That's just the unfortunate reality for most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭littlevillage

OP, I think you might be mistaking travelling for work with travelling on holiday. They are NOT the same at all.

I travelled for work a lot in years gone by.... and as other people have already stated.

Early mornings, late nights, stressed out, dirty taxi's, sleeping on chairs, take-away food, home sickness, missed births/birthdays/weddings/funerals/parties etc.

As regards places and people you meet. Are you joking ?? I nearly always stayed in cheapo hotels next to dreary industrial estates. People you meet in work situations abroad are not your friends, they are customers or colleagues and you are there to 'deliver' .... if you deliver, all is well and happy you might even get taken out to dinner once in a blue moon ... don't deliver, and be prepared to be the main course (eaten alive). Even when you find yourself staying in some pretty cool place over a weekend... you are soo exhausted from work, all you want to do is stay in bed and order room service.

Incidently I quit that job in the end, I was completely burnt-out after a couple of years at it.

For balance the only good things that I remember were that I was well paid and was able to squirrel away most all my wages every month as I was able to live on per diems and expenses etc. I also accumulated heaps of loyalty points on Airlines and Hotels so after quitting, I had a few free holidays out of it.

In Summary .

Travelling on Holiday = happy happy
    Travelling for work = miserable existence.

If you are soo unfulfilled in your current job, take a holiday. (maybe even a take a long holiday or a sabbatical)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mjavi

Hi I am working as a consultant that requires a lot of travel to foreign to clients, with travel schedules ranging from 2 weeks away, 1 week home, 1 full month away 1 weekend home to full 6 mos in China. Traveled alone, in groups and brought my wife with me.

I'd say each configuration had its best and worst moments, like when my wife & I were able to go to the Vatican during a weekend (best) and hearing your dad passed way while onsite with a client during a critical stage in the project.

You'd definitely be at the mercy of airline food, long queues, lonely sleepless nights, watching downloaded movies, pressure, crazy travel itineraries and be able to meet new people, learn other culture, see interesting stuff, quiet alone times, etc.

It entails more sacrifices but the few perks might even things out. Probably weigh things out if you can bear with worst then business travel might not seem to be very bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

The OP is female (Vicky), stop referring to her as he lads :o

• Advertisement

When "weighing" things up also consider that eating in restaurants and hotels alot is extremely tough when trying to be healthy. You got be seriously disciplined to squeeze in some exercise when you can, in the gym if you have one in the hotel, or whether thats a few pressups and situps in the room or a short run around the city.

My last company had a running joke about putting on the "<insert company name here> stone " in the first year, due to the amount of travel.

All of these points aside, make sure the company is worth this commitment and lifestyle change. Is there an aggressive development path (with the monetary and responsibility to go along) or are they looking for a young energetic person to slog it out and then churn in the next person when you give it up.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    The OP is female (Vicky), stop referring to her as he lads :o

tut tut for all being so stereotypical. Not all women still work in the sewing factory! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just because you lacked the imagination to combine the two doesn't mean he won't.
    That's what YOU did, the OP's configuration could differ wildly.
    Maybe the OP is better than you at striking a work/life balance?

I remain firmly in the 'go for it' camp.

:pac:

Striking a work/life balance when you travel 80% of your year with WORK. hmmmm ;) I guess if you want work to be 80% of your life then all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

If I was you I would check out the travel policy too.

When you travel for business you need to make sure it is as stress free as possible.

See if they cover parking at the airport or maybe a taxi from airport to home. Maybe check that you can travel business class on routes with it. I would also make sure they have a 4* hotel or above policy too. Then sign up to as many company loyalty clubs as you can to gain points which you can use for personal travel.

If your single for the first while its ok but once in a while you will be in a hotel room on your own with nothing on TV and cant get the wifi to work when all you want to do is Skype home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I do a good bit of travel with my job also, some of it is enjoyable but in my role like many have said the vast majority of it is monotonous, even though you might be in exotic sounding places the reality is you are stuck in an office somewhere or waiting around the airport or in a hotel room with no english channels and often no wifi.

An important consideration also is that your expenditure will almost certainly increase. Im sure your company will cover your travel, accomodation, food and drink expenses but you will inevitably spend more money travelling out of sheer boredom, be that sitting in the hotel lobby or in a bar having a few drinks to unwind, or hanging around the duty free at the airport or taking a tour if you have some spare time etc . All these little things add up.

But having said all that, if you are not happy in your current position and looking to change, then go for it what have you got to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

vicky7833 wrote: »
    I am 26 years old and in what sounds like a good job as team lead for a well known company. Nice people, good hours and I guess comfortable. and maybe a bit bored as I feel it doesn't fully utilize my communication skills.

I have never travelled even though I have always wanted to but never wanted to leave my job to do so as cant afford to so I happened to find a job as a consultant where I would have to travel to US and around the country and it sounds very exciting, scary as I have a lot to learn but an opportunity. I am afraid of leaving the other job. The other job has a reasonably good salary, and benefits (pension etc) the job i am considering has at least 4000k better salary but not as many benefits)

What would you do or have any advice? I dont have kids, I have a boyfriend but he has worked away before too and supports my decision and I feel it could be a good time in my life to do this but I am afraid.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vicky7833

I would say go for it. If the same opportunity presented itself in 5-10 years time you may not want it or circumstances could mean it wouldn't suit you then.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

rougegal wrote: »
    I would say go for it. If the same opportunity presented itself in 5-10 years time you may not want it or circumstances could mean it wouldn't suit you then.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I'd say run a mile - from it.

I spent a lot of time travelling for different roles - both bluechip & other less traditional 'sounds amazing " roles. ( they wern't). The places I remember, enjoyed, got to explore & enjoy & had craic in were ALL places I'd visited in my own time & money and had the freedom to visit and explore. Sure, you can pass hhrough a city in the dark en route to a meeting but thats not proper travel - nor is travel stress, lonliness, social exclusion & work schudules - unless of course you are working : which you will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

OP the vast majority of people I have ever met who travel a lot with work hate it. The exception would be higher executives who can go business class and stay in swish hotels and bring their partners for a weekend's shopping and go with them for a night at the theatre.

The vast majority of work travel involves a lot of early mornings, bad nights sleep in unfamiliar hotels, unhealthy meals at unpleasant times and waiting waiting waiting and more for delayed planes, trains, busses, customers, meetings.

You'll go from your house to the airport to the hotel to the customers business in a gammy industrial estate and back to the hotel and back to the airport. You could literally be anywhere for all you'll see.

I have done a bit of it and it sucks bag and all. I wouldn't recommend it. And I am someone who loves to travel and see new places in my spare time. The only time I did enjoy it was visiting a potential supplier and I was wined and dined. That was nice. But it was still a 4 hour drive to the airport with a lunatic Italian at the wheel and a delayed Ryanair flight home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

OP - Try to park the travel issue and assess the job itself in terms of both career advancement and personal development.

You will have seen enough comment here to know that a heavy travel schedule probably has many negative elements, so you need to decide if the job is attractive enough to compensate for that.

On the other hand, if you were thinking that the travel element was a plus to compensate for other negatives, then maybe you should think again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭vicky7833

Thanks for all the replies, wasnt expecting such a response.

The main pros of the role vs my current:

- New challenge vs being happy with routine
    - Utilise my communication skills vs administration/manual work where I feel I have learnt what I can from the position
    - Smaller company vs large corporate company
    -A lot of work travel to clients (which could be a huge regret) vs being able to go home to my boyfriend and comfort of home every evening
    -Take this opportunity for a year to build up experience vs staying in a role that I could possibly get a similar role again

As far as I am aware, the client has already bought the product, I would be there coaching and analysing the requirements for it being implemented.

It's a big decision, appreciate all the in put :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As far as I am aware, the client has already bought the product, I would be there coaching and analysing the requirements for it being implemented.

Run, as fast as you can. As junior consultant, if/when it all goes wrong, you will be villified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Why do you feel the way to progress is to take a job like this?

Why do you feel the way to progress is to take a job like this?

I'm not sure how I can progress otherwise with the experience I have. Unless I was to study again which I do plan on doing eventually but I need to save. I would like to be working with people on a more personal level a bit more, to improve presentation skills and and take on more responsibility. I've said it would be a challenge and it scares me which is why I created this thread, I don't know what is out there for that doesn't give me a challenge career wise

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm not sure how I can progress otherwise with the experience I have. Unless I was to study again which I do plan on doing eventually but I need to save. I would like to be working with people on a more personal level a bit more, to improve presentation skills and and take on more responsibility. I've said it would be a challenge and it scares me which is why I created this thread, I don't know what is out there for that doesn't give me a challenge career wise

What area do you currently work in?

Stheno wrote: »
    Run, as fast as you can. As junior consultant, if/when it all goes wrong, you will be villified.

I know if I was to take on a role such as this I can be criticised by clients if something goes wrong. I believe in what it has to offer and how I could coach how to use it and i don't think the client would be buying it otherwise. If i didnt feel I would understand the objectives and the bigger picture problems that could come up I wouldnt even consider this position. I have said if I was to go for a job like this, it would be a challenge but it would be an area that can give me room to learn to work with many personalities, I do in my current role but the goal I would have is to build up trust and respect so in the case there would be an issue then they would allow me the time and trust that I will have the correct contacts in order to find a solution.

My main concern is the travel. I have never done it before and I can already see factors of it that would bother me, as in not getting home to see my loved ones especially at weekends but I am very independant and have moved to places where I have known nobody for work and managed to build up a network. I could just stay where i am and find another 9 to 5 job but be in the same situation this time next year and bored

What area do you currently work in?

It's Software / IT but very much administration work. Ideally I would like to go into Social Work which is what I had started working towards but ended up working in corporate IT and banking companies and 7 years later I am still here. I don't see results in my current role.. the role I am considering I was hoping based on learning enough about it and building up relationships I can see progress. Eg coaching the client on he software and hopefully going away with both parties satisfied (wishful thinking)

It's Software / IT but very much administration work. Ideally I would like to go into Social Work which is what I had started working towards but ended up working in corporate IT and banking companies and 7 years later I am still here. I don't see results in my current role.. the role I am considering I was hoping based on learning enough about it and building up relationships I can see progress. Eg coaching the client on he software and hopefully going away with both parties satisfied (wishful thinking)

Ask yourself this: do you want to end up like Stheno et al? Everyday the same -- same old routine, same old people, same old work.

You need to go for this, even if it's just for a year.

Ask yourself this: do you want to end up like Stheno et al? Everyday the same -- same old routine, same old people, same old work.

You need to go for this, even if it's just for a year.

Ask why do many people said no to travel,?

• Advertisement

Ask why do many people said no to travel,?

Because, like you, they are scared of the unknown and unfamiliar.

As I said before, in misery there's company.

Advertisement