Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave 9-5 job for a job with 80% travel?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm probably in the minority when I share my experience but I feel compelled to do so. I travel a lot for work, mostly the US, and I love it. I fly economy and I'm no high flying executive.

You're still young and presumably with no responsibilities tying you down? Some questions to ask yourself.

* Do you like the work itself?
    * What is the company's travel policy? Does it fully ensure you're not out of pocket when travelling?
    * Do you like flying?
    * Do you know anyone in the company who travels that could share their experiences?
    * Can your hobbies and pastimes travel too?

Some locations I go to can seem industrial but I'm ok with that.

I make plans in the evenings no different than I would at home. Some colleagues have become friends. We go out, visit their home etc.

I teach and perform when I travel which leads me to meeting new people.

There are also social websites like meetup.com that have plenty of social/outdoor opportunities to be part of.

Regarding hotels, I try avoid crap ones by doing searches with my budget. In California I stay in a suite for a cheaper price than the more popular preferred hotel. It has a kitchenette which tbh, I rarely use!

Yes there can be early mornings and travel woes. I've spent the past 2 Paddy's Days and the last 2 birthdays in the US. I made the most of it.

You learn to become a master of travel, knowing how late you can leave it before getting to the airport etc.

Travelling is what you make it. It's as lonely as you want it to be.

From another angle too, its wonderful experience to have and looks great on a cv. When I interview people it certain stands out when we talk experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You don't have to take it - there are lots of better opportunities out there that will not isolate & alienate you & not deliver a thankless crucifying work environment. I wonder who has worked so hard to convince you that you have to be away from ' home' 80% of the time to have a relationship based role. There is a definate irony there. Plenty of coaching & client facing roles for a smart woman like you without all this proposed hardship. Counting each poster once only see what the voices of experience are saying & what the percentages of strangers advising you are. We have no agenda.
    Don't act out of hopelessness or desperation. Best of Luck. Over & Out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭I own an applewatch

Look, even if the new job turned out to be a nightmare, you could just quit after 6 months and find a new job. The key point is you're not happy now and this is likely to get worse not better.

The Stethnos of this world are urging you to stay put -- probably until you're 67 and get your golden clock -- but you're clearly not that type.

You could use the much maligned time waiting for planes to study social work materials and aim to do a masters in the future, while pocketing a nice bundle of cash.

The people against this are older fogies with kids and the like, so it's understandable that they don't like living on the road.

You haven't fallen into that pitfall yet so you can still have some freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Apologies if you have already mentioned this but what kind of software is it, financial?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭vicky7833

tony1980 wrote: »
    Apologies if you have already mentioned this but what kind of software is it, financial?

Yes it is a financial software, do you work or have worked in this area?

• Advertisement

vicky7833 wrote: »
    Yes it is a financial software, do you work or have worked in this area?

Yes, have been for awhile. Do you have any experience with SQL, Oracle, Crystal Reports, etc? If not and you are thinking of going for the position, I would suggest learning the basics as a start as you more than likely will be using these on a daily basis but if its a Junior position, dont panic as they will know this will take you time.
    The first year can be tough learning a new software so hopefully there will be plenty of opportunity for shadowing more experienced consultants. My experience though is you will be thrown into the deep end because of billable time, etc. Dont be afraid to ask questions as you will really be exposed out on site when on your own.

Best of luck if you do decide on taking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Because, like you, they are scared of the unknown and unfamiliar.

Yep, the 06.10 Ryanair to Bristol is not for the fainthearted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭I own an applewatch

First Up wrote: »
    Yep, the 06.10 Ryanair to Bristol is not for the fainthearted.

The best part of Dublin is the departure lounge at Dublin airport...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Hi OP,

From your replies sounds like you want to go for it, so therefore I think you should go for it. Sounds like you need a change from your current role as you sound a bit bored and unsatisfied, regardless of what that change ends up being.

I've been in a job involving some travel for the past few years, never anything like 80%, but i'm regularly back and forth to the UK, sometimes more than once a week, with a few trips further a field throughout the year.

The novelty has definitely worn off for me, most of my trips are pretty boring, client visits often at industrial locations. I don't view this as traveling as I can't see it broadening my horizons much. That said I did get to take a client to Wimbledon last summer so that was a good one, and our annual staff conference in Barcelona is usually fun, and an opportunity to make a weekend break out of it.

The other thing about a lot of travel is having to submit a lot of expense reports - this is nearly as bad as getting up at 4am in my eyes because my companies expenses process is quite onerous :(

My only concern is that in your origional post you said you'd never gone traveling and this could be your way of doing it. As someone who has done a bit of both, business travel bares precious little resemblance to traveling for pleasure so maybe ask more about free time that would be allotted to you (can't imagine much unless you're going to be staying in places for a good number of days and get the weekend off) and the nature of the destinations. Are trips likely to be in smart city center locations or could you be holed up in an industrail estate in the suburbs the whole time.

Anyhow, as other have said, you can always quit after a while if you don't like it! Perhaps target to do it for 2 years as an experience and then reassess?

The best part of Dublin is the departure lounge at Dublin airport...

They will sell you a one way ticket, if that's how you feel about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

If i were you,
    Id go for it.

You may have children in the next few years and wont be able to take an opportunity like this on board..

I recently left my permanent, well paid job, as i was utterly miserable.
    I also have no children, commitments, bar two dogs!!

Do the things while you can, because you may not be able to take opportunities in a few years for whatever reasons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Unlike what Applewatch seems to think, we're not conservative, miserable old fogeys who are afraid of the unknown and want to drag you down. We're people who have travelled in our jobs, some more than others, and have our own experiences of it. As you can see, it has been a positive experience for some people but you need to be aware of the downsides. It's not going to make any difference to any of our lives if you take the job but it would be irresponsible of us not to tell you what we learned from doing it ourselves.

That you need to leave your job and do something that fulfills you more is a no-brainer. Is the solution to inflict a lifestyle like this on yourself? If it was a job that had an element of travel in it, it wouldn't be so bad. But 80%? The one thing that travel in my job taught me was to appreciate my normal life. I like being able to go home to my own house, eat my own food, meet friends, see my family, do anything I want to do in the evenings and at weekends. When I leave the office I'm happy to forget about work until the next day. Work doesn't own me and my free time is precious to me.

In your shoes I'd be slow to take this job. Instead I'd be looking at upskilling and looking for other jobs that don't have such a punishing schedule. You'll be sacrificing an awful lot personally for this job. Do you really want that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I've done a lot of travel in my time, and I don't anymore. (I'm too old, am married and have kids..)
    Sure, you can try to get a balance between travel and taking personal time to experience and experience the joys of sightseeing, however the reality is that you are often too tired or too bust to do it.
    However there are people I know that live this lifestyle and do it wonderfully. They are the exception and they are very motivated people generally. They will be in a gym at 6am regardless of where they are in the world and they will find and make time to live the lives their way, including "embracing the world". However it comes at a cost. As time goes on they are less connected to home and their friends,they have a transient lifestyle and live it well.
    For the majority of people life on the road is much more mundane. Early alarms, driving to / from airports at ungodly hours, generic hotels, delayed flights and the horrible monotonous life of business travel.
    Other things to consider....what type of business travel is it. If you are talking about short term consultancy gigs (1 - 5 days) then these are the worst as the frequency of travel is higher as are the expectations put on you (work through lunch, mandatory dinner and drinks etc)
    However it's it's longer term engagements eg (2 weeks to a few months) then it gives you more opportunity to get more settled and go a little bit native, (eg business apartments, weekends on location etc)
    Ultimately it's up to you. If you are not happy in your current job then that is a factor.
    It ultimately depends on what kind of person you are and what you want out of life. Are you happy to loosen ties with your family, friends, boyfriend etc for travel ops? Will you be disciplined enough to derive the benefits from travel that you hope?
    Another thing to look at is the potential experience you could gain. You grow up pretty quickly and learn to be very self reliant when you are facing a client, on their site, when things have gone arseways and its you companies fault.
    Also you will learn a lot about communication, building relationships, crisis management, presenting etc.
    If you don't do it now, it's less likely that you will do it in the future...
    I know that when I was traveling and working remotely it put a lot of strain on my health and family, however I'm almost 20 years your senior. Personally I knew that my time has come when the receptionist in the Hilton I was staying long term in cried when I told them I'd be checking out permanently. "Oh Mr. "Smith", everything is changing, everyone is leaving".... (she was young and upset that one of the other receptionists had just quit....she obviously was not good with change...)
    So if I was you I would strongly consider it, but do it with your eyes wide open, and realistic expectations.
    However I don't agree with Mr very angry apple watch who seems to be rather disagreeable towards everyone who is speaking from their own personal experience....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Impossible to know what another couples relationship is like, but it could be that he is simply trying to be supportive and telling the OP that he will be ok with whatever she chooses. It doesn't necessarily mean that he will be happy about it at all, because who would be, but he also sees her unhappy in her current job and doesn't want to pressure her to stay there.

The problem is that it could cause trouble down the line. Its one thing to be supportive now, quite another to go months only seeing your partner once a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mjavi

vicky7833 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, wasnt expecting such a response.

The main pros of the role vs my current:

- New challenge vs being happy with routine
    - Utilise my communication skills vs administration/manual work where I feel I have learnt what I can from the position
    - Smaller company vs large corporate company
    -A lot of work travel to clients (which could be a huge regret) vs being able to go home to my boyfriend and comfort of home every evening
    -Take this opportunity for a year to build up experience vs staying in a role that I could possibly get a similar role again

As far as I am aware, the client has already bought the product, I would be there coaching and analysing the requirements for it being implemented.

It's a big decision, appreciate all the in put :)

If you've hit your glass ceiling in your current job the only way for you to grow is to get out of that comfort zone (where everything is familiar) and go to unfamiliar territory.

As a consultant of course your clients would look at you like the Software Demigod so it will have its ups and downs. But you'll definitely gain confidence, communication skills, cultural etiquette that you'd be able to win them back each time something goes wrong.

I was once in that same position, and if I got scared of the 'Travel' then I wouldn't have been here working as a Software Consultant.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭vicky7833

Issues or trust??

I don't feel like we need to be at each others sides 100% of the time. We have done long distance before and have very good communication at all times. We now live together and if anything, he is being supportive as would never want to feel like he would stop me from doing anything especially when I am a few years younger and wouldnt want to hold me back.

Appreciate your point but definitely wouldn't also say... you also have relationship issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that your boyfriend can always visit you and stay with you for free, fly on the cheap with your miles too. At least you'll have fun in the evening then.

I've travelled for work in the past, about 40%, and I would never do a job with anything >50%. Too much time away, too many missed occasions at home which no amount of seeing sights on the company dime would make up for it. I don't have kids, was in a relationship at the time and it didn't have a negative impact.

You'll be gone 9 months of the year (accounting for 1 month annual leave). if there's someone traveling with you that might be alright, if on you're own then I'd definitely just look for another job with less travel if I was you.

jive wrote:
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that your boyfriend can always visit you and stay with you for free, fly on the cheap with your miles too. At least you'll have fun in the evening then.

Assuming he doesn't have a job of his own to detain him.

• Advertisement

Or he has annual leave...!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

And assuming op gets air miles!

jive wrote:
    Or he has annual leave...!

Maybe the odd time if she is going somewhere worth visiting as a tourist but how often would you want to use precious holidays to hang around some budget hotel all day waiting for her to get back?

In a previous position I was in, if I were due back onsite on the Monday and it was a flight to Europe for example, I was given the choice to stay instead of travelling back on the Friday and back over on the Sunday or Monday and because of this, my wife could avail of a free flight over there for the weekend if we wanted (we had no kids at the time).
    This was handy when we wanted to do it as I didn't really have much work to do over the weekend so we could see some sites, etc. This mightn't be the case with the position you are going for but you never know, you could be lucky as it was nice when we were able to do that on occasion!

Maybe the odd time if she is going somewhere worth visiting as a tourist but how often would you want to use precious holidays to hang around some budget hotel all day waiting for her to get back?

Depends on the company really. I booked my own hotels, people often would stay in hotels for €400 odd depending on the location.

He wouldn't have to wait in a hotel anyway, he can do his own thing during the day. I had friends and my gf visit me on business travel, plenty of people do.

Another advantage is simply extending your trip and he can visit then. Your flights would be covered. Not much but still advantageous depending on the location could be worth upwards of €600.

Edit: also see post directly above! Totally depends on the policy as to what you can and can not do.

jive wrote:
    Edit: also see post directly above! Totally depends on the policy as to what you can and can not do.

Someone in an entry level position won't have that much flexibility.

Of course make the most of any travel opportunities but business trips rarely offer much scope. Centres of commerce are not holiday destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Someone in an entry level position won't have that much flexibility.

Of course make the most of any travel opportunities but business trips rarely offer much scope. Centres of commerce are not holiday destinations.

Probably not. I did the international warrior for 2 years, spending 50% of my time mostly in Europe, but some uk/USA. As others have pointed out, 90% of the time it's rubbish - 4am starts, budget airlines flights, someone else's office, hotel and eat alone later to catch up on emails. Repeat. About 10% of travel was better or something interesting to meet/see/ do.

80% travel is horrible and I left my role when that was asked of me. I was afraid of the greater impact on my life.

If you do go ahead I've two tips - never let anyone else book your flights or hotels

Borzoi wrote:
    If you do go ahead I've two tips - never let anyone else book your flights or hotels

You can let someone else book them - as long as you choose them!

Not always possible to get what you want within the company travel policy but at least look at the options - especially routings and connection times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Just my two cents.

Travel can be good fun, it depend on the line of work you are in.

I have done travel before, it was all business development and t be fair it was good fun mostly. It was done about 30-40% of my working time. It did mean you worked a lot more hours for the company as you had to be there for early flights to maximize your working day.
    The actual work itself just depend on your industry and what will be expected. While I traveled it was all about making the most sales calls possible, so it meant my days were very full and dinner was usually with clients so not sitting alone in a bar.
    The positives are also you do get out and about, but mostly it is seeing the world from an airport or hotel room. I did get to see a frozen Fjord before!!

The downsides are if you have commitments at home the travel does wear very quick, I never saw my children from weeks at a time, and it is time you never get back. I would ask the company what is their policy on travel for work and use of hotel rooms, I was lucky in my last place that along as I bought the flight I COULD bring my other half if wanted, but the workload itself prevented that.

Ultimatley does depend on what you wish to do. If you could ask your current company for a sabbatical to try it out, then do this. You might love it or hate it. I know people who travel and love it, and those who despise it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I've done the travel thing.

For the first 3 years with the company all of my clients were in Dublin. This I enjoyed, I got to make a fresh start on a new site every 3 - 10 months and picked up a broad range of experience in different industries.

Then I got sent to the UK. I spent three months in a tiny village outside Leicester, one month in Milton Keynes and another three in Liverpool. I was up early Monday to catch a flight and had to to work late every Monday evening to make up time because we arrived in late. Friday evenings were always a mad panic because somebody wanted something done before we could leave or scheduled an afternoon meeting. I'd get back to Dublin and head straight to my girlfriend who I hadn't seen all week. Weekends left just enough time to catch up on laundry and socialising.

Midweek I had no cooking facilities. In Leicestershire I could eat in the hotel, one local chipper or bring a sandwich back from the office canteen. At least in MK and Liverpool I had a choice of chain restaurants to pick from. Hotel WiFi was £15 a night and the company would only let me claim for it once a fortnight to submit my timesheets. They eventually got me a Vodafone dongle so I wouldn't go insane with boredom at night could work in the hotel.

All the shops were closed by the time I left the office so if I ever wanted to pick anything up I had to take a taxi to a shopping centre at lunchtime.

The company agreed once to let me bring my girlfriend over for a weekend instead of me flying home.

Overall it was a pretty shiite experience. I ended up leaving the company because I couldn't get an assignment back in Dublin. I left about 1.5 stones heavier after those months but with a lot of Per Diem payments in my back pocket.

The good kind of business travel is when you get taken to a nice hotel by your suppliers for a jolly. Sadly these don't come up often enough.

Advertisement