Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglary watch Dublin

Options
  • 06-01-2016 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Thought this be a good idea for the Dublin forum, just a place to keep track of robberies around Dublin.

I had previously heard around the area that houses are been broken into, IMO I think they do an area then move out for a while. Some little ****s broke into my house this morning, while we where all asleep. Stole my bike gear and not much else, I think they got spooked.

I had heard of other houses around the Dublin 9/Donnycarney end been broken into, Dublin 3 area around Marino. Mainly these break ins are happening at night and while people are asleep, so this is also a warning in that sense.

If you hear of any activity in your area, might be worth posting up here to let others know, so we can all keep a look out, maybe even for odd cars lying up in your area that may be stolen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

TallGlass wrote: »
    Thought this be a good idea for the Dublin forum, just a place to keep track of robberies around Dublin.

I had previously heard around the area that houses are been broken into, IMO I think they do an area then move out for a while. Some little ****s broke into my house this morning, while we where all asleep. Stole my bike gear and not much else, I think they got spooked.

I had heard of other houses around the Dublin 9/Donnycarney end been broken into, Dublin 3 area around Marino. Mainly these break ins are happening at night and while people are asleep, so this is also a warning in that sense.

If you hear of any activity in your area, might be worth posting up here to let others know, so we can all keep a look out, maybe even for odd cars lying up in your area that may be stolen.

We live in Marino and have heard of many such burglaries around here. They're mainly after peoples' cars and break in to get the keys. They go for PVC doors which they can somehow open quite easily and get the keys from handbags or hanging in the hallway. Keep your handbag by your bed. Double locking your door from the inside prevents them getting in also.

A couple of dogs running loose inside may also deter the ****ers! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Mainly these break ins are happening at night and while people are asleep, so this is also a warning in that sense.

Do most people not have alarms which would go off or are alarms not that much of a worry for burglars anymore?
    They go for PVC doors which they can somehow open quite easily...

Is there not something about the locks in the PVC doors just snap and you can just open the door, it takes them 30 seconds with the right tool. It is recommended to get a anti-snap locks fitted, with these the lock will snap in the middle which will still leave your door locked. Am open to correction on this!

At this stage if we are all in the sitting room watching a film or whatever we set the house alarm, even if it is 2pm on a Saturday afternoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well to be honest. I have a PVC door and theres no damage and no mark on it. They are extremely easy to pick from looking at the videos on YouTube. You could be in within 50 seconds.

Guys my honest option, they are after cars and mind you not valuable cars either. There was an 00 Skoda worth 800€ a 01 Corolla worth 1200€ and 07 Fiesta worth say 3500€. These are not high value cars at all, so don't think if you don't have a valaubale car you won't be a target.

They'd no interest in electronics, took my motorcycle gear worth 550€ and the folks cigarettes.

Also what ever you do make sure your spare key to the car isnt down stairs. They went into the kitchen presses looking for spare keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

A mate of mine put up on Facebook that there's a crew of 3 lads (25-30, dark hair, wearing high vis and snickers work gear) going around Walkinstown with a van and ladder. One was at her bedroom window on a ladder and she went down to confront them, they initially said they're from Virgin Media but after ringing Virgin Media they advised they had no technicians in the area. Seems it happened to her mate in Walkinstown on Tuesday afternoon also, same guys.

A mate of mine put up on Facebook that there's a crew of 3 lads (25-30, dark hair, wearing high vis and snickers work gear) going around Walkinstown with a van and ladder. One was at her bedroom window on a ladder and she went down to confront them, they initially said they're from Virgin Media but after ringing Virgin Media they advised they had no technicians in the area. Seems it happened to her mate in Walkinstown on Tuesday afternoon also, same guys.

Any idea on what way that one plays out? I assume looking in the windows to see if anyone's in or something.

I'd safely assume the guys that robbed my house where in the same age group, I can't imagine many people knowing what an Alpine Stars jacket is.

Another bit of advise I can give is block cars into the drive, don't make it easy for them, park them oddly, maybe even get a wheel lock for them. The longer the cars takes to rob the more they will be put off.

I would go as far as getting fake keys made and leaving them around in the open so they will think they are leaving with the big jewels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Also what ever you do make sure your spare key to the car isnt down stairs. They went into the kitchen presses looking for spare keys.

Sorry but that advice is just dangerous. My keys are on the hall table, well away from the door. If someone wants to break in to steal my car then they're welcome to the car. They won't stop at kitchen presses looking for keys, they will go to bedrooms as well. I'd rather they just took the car thanks!

Operation Thor seems to be targeting thieves in a big way, lots of arrests and seizures in Dublin in the past month. Glad to see the Gardai not just targeting return of stolen property but also burglary tools and gangs.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Sorry but that advice is just dangerous. My keys are on the hall table, well away from the door. If someone wants to break in to steal my car then they're welcome to the car. They won't stop at kitchen presses looking for keys, they will go to bedrooms as well. I'd rather they just took the car thanks!

Operation Thor seems to be targeting thieves in a big way, lots of arrests and seizures in Dublin in the past month. Glad to see the Gardai not just targeting return of stolen property but also burglary tools and gangs.

That's your option and I do agree, but leaving your keys there is an invite to these guys and sure whats to stop them coming up anyway?

I really don't think these guys will risk going up stairs for a car. For all they know, there could be a bigger physo up stairs in the house, it will create a scene, maybe ID some people doing so with witnesses. These guys are looking for an easy opportunity, not to get caught up on a murder charge, I know if they came up stairs in my house and woke someone it would have been a domino effect, world war would have broken out.

But I do understand, it's only a car, why not go with my second suggestion then? Leave a fake key for them, same cut opens the car etc.. Just ain't got the chip in the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

That's your option and I do agree, but leaving your keys there is an invite to these guys and sure whats to stop them coming up anyway?

I really don't think these guys will risk going up stairs for a car. For all they know, there could be a bigger physo up stairs in the house, it will create a scene, maybe ID some people doing so with witnesses. These guys are looking for an easy opportunity, not to get caught up on a murder charge, I know if they came up stairs in my house and woke someone it would have been a domino effect, world war would have broken out.

But I do understand, it's only a car, why not go with my second suggestion then? Leave a fake key for them, same cut opens the car etc.. Just ain't got the chip in the key.

Would you not rather that if someone broke into your house they just take your keys, instead of wandering upstairs and potentially harming the residents in bed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Too bad you can't just shoot them. Why have to think, "oh please criminal, here's my keys-I pray you only take my car and don't hurt me".

What a way to live.

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Too bad you can't just shoot them. Why have to think, "oh please criminal, here's my keys-I pray you only take my car and don't hurt me".

What a way to live.

That's a very interesting thing to say, have you been broken into? I am asking because not out of my suggestions, but as out of habit all keys where up stairs. I drive my Dads car and he drives mine so we have each others spare key. So should I beg the masked gun man in my house that he goes into my Dads room for the key to move our cars in the case that I don't have mine?

Honestly, these guys will come up if they need to, just cause you leave your stuff down stairs doesn't mean they won't. They have broken into your home, they don't play by rules and you don't know what they want.

• Advertisement

Would you not rather that if someone broke into your house they just take your keys, instead of wandering upstairs and potentially harming the residents in bed ?

Yes of course, but as I posted above. What if like me you don't leave your keys down stairs out of habit?

And again, what's to say these guys won't come up stairs? They are in your home, upstairs, downstairs, it is all the same. I think it's very bad advise to think you are safe because you leave your keys downstairs.

Anyway, this whole thing is going off topic, I started this as a watch thread to advise people on around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's best for all concerned that we just let criminals have their way. To improve upon this idea : simply leave your keys outside and there will be no need for them to come into your home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Would be interested to know if any of the burglary victims had a dog - of any size.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any idea on what way that one plays out? I assume looking in the windows to see if anyone's in or something.

Yup that was basically it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Leave your keys downstairs at night lads. I was broken into a few years ago and they took the car (keys on the hall table)....They also opened every kitchen press and drawers. We were asleep in bed.
    Garda advised to leave the keys downstairs. You can be an Internet warrior but I bet if they hit you a belt in the bed at 3 in the morning and maybe had your child with a knife to them you'd be better off letting them take your motor.
    Terrible to give in to them but your well being and safety must come first.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

spurious wrote:
    Would be interested to know if any of the burglary victims had a dog - of any size.

mates of mine gaf was broken into when he was on Christmas party. they ripped the small dog open with knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

spurious wrote: »

We were broken into a while ago and have a dog, didn't seem to be a deterrent. Granted he's harmless but does have a nasty bark. Would have gone past him and all to get in to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

mfceiling wrote: »
    Leave your keys downstairs at night lads. I was broken into a few years ago and they took the car (keys on the hall table)....They also opened every kitchen press and drawers. We were asleep in bed.
    Garda advised to leave the keys downstairs. You can be an Internet warrior but I bet if they hit you a belt in the bed at 3 in the morning and maybe had your child with a knife to them you'd be better off letting them take your motor.
    Terrible to give in to them but your well being and safety must come first.

A tiny minority would go upstairs. They're not stupid. Theyll get a slap on the wrist for burglary. Once it becomes aggravated it's a different story. They'd rather go find a house with handy keys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

dsmythy wrote: »
    A tiny minority would go upstairs. They're not stupid. Theyll get a slap on the wrist for burglary. Once it becomes aggravated it's a different story. They'd rather go find a house with handy keys.

Agreed. The post you quoted is just scare mongering. If I was a burgular I would be delighted reading this thread. No wonder they do it when people make it so easy for them.

Seems to be quite a situation around Dublin 9, talking to a friend and another house around my way was broken into week or two before mine. It's about the 10th I have heard now.

Dont know the details.

I guess its personal choice, keys up or downstairs, but I wouldn't go leaving them in plain sight, if you look in a window or letterbox, the difference could be them seeing the keys robbing your house or passing over for somewhere easier.

I think judges need to come down heavier on these guys if caught, it was only 550€ worth of stuff, but its not even the point. The lack of respect for people and there privacy, I mean you wouldn't get a slap on the wrist if you decided to break into Leinster House.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I was broken into a few months ago.

They came into my room and took the keys without waking me up as they were in plain sight.

My neighbour had hidden his keys. They boiled the kettle and held it over his face while he was in bed until he gave them the car keys. So yeh. I always leave my keys downstairs but not in plain sight of the front door from now on.

They got 6 cars that night from our area. All the same brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Agreed. The post you quoted is just scare mongering. If I was a burgular I would be delighted reading this thread. No wonder they do it when people make it so easy for them.

If a burger could read, he wouldn't be a burgular.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

endacl wrote: »
    If a burger could read, he wouldn't be a burgular.

Mmmmmmmmm burgers ;)

Speaking with a friend yesterday, regards one of the houses that was burgled. Seemingly they took the car, then also applied for a new log book.

No sure of the ins and outs of how it works, but that seems to be the idea behind wanting the cars. Although not a new weird to see them try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 c1ans7even

I live in Marino and heard of so many late night robberies around lately and before christmas.
    Luckily haven't been but I do fear it will happen any day now.

One thing that did happen recently though is there was a loud knock at the door at around 8pm I was watching Tv with the wife and I went to answer it. I usually wouldn't bother answering it cus I'd assume it's someone selling something or whatever but as soon as I answered the guy was nearly out the gate backing away and just said sorry mate wrong house. So thought nothing of it but the next day I heard from the neighbours just six doors up same had happened and they didn't answer the door and the window pane got smashed in and were nearly in the door when they came out and then they just legged it.

So now I have to answer my door every time in fear of them thinking nobody's home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

c1ans7even wrote: »
    I live in Marino and heard of so many late night robberies around lately and before christmas.
    Luckily haven't been but I do fear it will happen any day now.

One thing that did happen recently though is there was a loud knock at the door at around 8pm I was watching Tv with the wife and I went to answer it. I usually wouldn't bother answering it cus I'd assume it's someone selling something or whatever but as soon as I answered the guy was nearly out the gate backing away and just said sorry mate wrong house. So thought nothing of it but the next day I heard from the neighbours just six doors up same had happened and they didn't answer the door and the window pane got smashed in and were nearly in the door when they came out and then they just legged it.

So now I have to answer my door every time in fear of them thinking nobody's home.

Did you get a look at the scumbag? Give his description to the Gardai. You never know, it might help

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Taboola wrote: »
    I was broken into a few months ago.

They came into my room and took the keys without waking me up as they were in plain sight.

My neighbour had hidden his keys. They boiled the kettle and held it over his face while he was in bed until he gave them the car keys. So yeh. I always leave my keys downstairs but not in plain sight of the front door from now on.

They got 6 cars that night from our area. All the same brand.

I've heard this story a few times and from what i can gather it's an urban myth. I's just bizarre, a kitchen full of knives and other sharp implements and they boil a kettle?? Where did this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I've heard this story a few times and from what i can gather it's an urban myth. I's just bizarre, a kitchen full of knives and other sharp implements and they boil a kettle?? Where did this happen?

I'll PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Fair enough if you think it's scare mongering but with 3 small kids in my house I'm not taking a risk on them coming looking for car keys.
    These lads are not just opportunist thieves looking for a few bits and pieces...if you have a car worth 20 or 30 grand and they come into your house in the middle of the night, they won't be leaving without it.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »

Sure would that not be classed as kidnap? Your essientally been held as a hostage.

So list of what to bring to bed, car keys, kettle, kitchen cutlery !

What did this guy look like? Was he young, Dub etc..

Advertisement