Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment over phone

Options
  • 06-01-2016 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

I'm selling a few items online and using paypal to process the payments. Yesterday I had a fella from the UK call me wanting to order. I sent him a link to the online store but he doesn't do that and when normally buying similar items he gives his details over the phone.

Have I many options? I don't think paypal Virtual Terminal works here, not that I can see anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I use stripe for that. It's very straight forward you enter payment details on the dashboard prices just went down too so it's cheaper than PayPal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

I somehow had it in my head that that had a monthly charge, but it per transaction? That looks like the solution alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you have his details, could you enter them into the online store and transaction will be handled normally.

I somehow had it in my head that that had a monthly charge, but it per transaction? That looks like the solution alright.

Yeh just per transaction. Should be exactly what your after.

biko wrote: »
    If you have his details, could you enter them into the online store and transaction will be handled normally.

If I could find no other option, that is probably what I would have done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Wasn't there a thread about SumUp floating around somewhere? Seems a good option

Isn't that a card reader? There is no card present

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This is what I do.. I don't like it and encourage them to make an online order but surprisingly some people insist on doing it over the phone..

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Are there not data protection issues related to doing this?
    I also operate an eCommerce business but orders must be placed online as card details go via PayPal and we never see them.
    For this reason I have never accepted customers card details over the phone and entered the order myself, I thought this would be out of compliance with regulations??

JMR wrote: »
    I also operate an eCommerce business but orders must be placed online as card details go via PayPal and we never see them.
    For this reason I have never accepted customers card details over the phone and entered the order myself, I thought this would be out of compliance with regulations??

Maybe, but how is it all that different from taking someones card details over the phone and then entering them into the card terminal. I do this at work and also don't like doing it but its the way some people prefer, especially non tech people.

• Advertisement

Maybe, but how is it all that different from taking someones card details over the phone and then entering them into the card terminal. I do this at work and also don't like doing it but its the way some people prefer, especially non tech people.

To accept card details directly, over the phone or otherwise you must be compliant with the PCIDSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard)
    We don't, our customers pay via PayPal so we never see their details.
    If you are compliant and have a merchant ID then you can accept payments by phone

See this link for further details PCIDSS

As long as the details aren't being written down or recorded then it should be ok it is something that needs to be considered from a PCI compliance pov though. When you do the PCI stuff it specifically mentions the over the phone scenario.

jimmii wrote: »
    As long as the details aren't being written down or recorded then it should be ok it is something that needs to be considered from a PCI compliance pov though. When you do the PCI stuff it specifically mentions the over the phone scenario.

Lifted from the PCI-DSS FAQ page linked to earlier.....

"Q: If I only accept credit cards over the phone, does PCI still apply to me?
    A: Yes. All business that store, process or transmit payment cardholder data must be PCI Compliant."

Lifted from the PCI-DSS FAQ page linked to earlier.....

"Q: If I only accept credit cards over the phone, does PCI still apply to me?
    A: Yes. All business that store, process or transmit payment cardholder data must be PCI Compliant."

I wasn't disagreeing with you? Obviously anyone taking cards needs to be compliant its just that taking details over the phone and staying compliant isn't that hard.

Advertisement