Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting deposit back when lease ends when another tenant is still staying in the hous

Options
  • 06-01-2016 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I have being renting for a few months in clondalkin and the lease is up in June.

I moved in with 2 friends from college that were in a relationship but during the first few months they broke up but as per an agreement they made she is still paying rent up until the lease ends.

My problem is that my housemate wants to move his new girlfriend into the house but we don't get along well and I'm looking to move back closer to my friends and family and move somewhere with my girlfriend.

The 3 of us signed the lease and it ends in June so I'm just wondering will I get my deposit back when it ends in June or will I not because my housemate is going to stay living there with his girlfriend?

The house is in perfect condition and we have never had any trouble with the landlord so I'm hoping I get it back so I can use it as a deposit in my new place.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I have being renting for a few months in clondalkin and the lease is up in June.

I moved in with 2 friends
    The 3 of us signed the lease and it ends in June so I'm just wondering will I get my deposit back when it ends in June or will I not because my housemate is going to stay living there with his girlfriend?

The lease isnt ending in June so. Your friend and his girlfriend are continuing the lease, you're just moving out.
    Typically if one person is leaving the lease early, they would try replace themselves, and get their portion of the deposit off the replacement housemate.

Do your friend and his girlfriend plan on letting the other room, or do they want to rent the entire house to themselves?
    • If they want it to themselves then they're buying you out of the lease and should pay you your deposit.
    • If they want you to find a replacement, then that's your responsibility (your name is on the lease). Unfortunate, because who wants to live with a couple?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

The lease isnt ending in June so. Your friend and his girlfriend are continuing the lease, you're just moving out.
    Typically if one person is leaving the lease early, they would try replace themselves, and get their portion of the deposit off the replacement housemate.

Do your friend and his girlfriend plan on letting the other room, or do they want to rent the entire house to themselves?
    • If they want it to themselves then they're buying you out of the lease and should pay you your deposit.
    • If they want you to find a replacement, then that's your responsibility (your name is on the lease). Unfortunate, because who wants to live with a couple?

Thanks for the reply mate.

Ended up getting it sorted after a good talk with my housemate. It's just us 2 living there at the moment and our girlfriends stay 2 or 3 nights a week.

Basically he didn't really want his girlfriend to move in as it's way too soon he was just doing it so we could afford to stay in the apartment. We are going to try and see if the landlord will lower the rent (unlikely) or if they will let us stay in the house until we get a new place while still paying them rent obviously. Rent is 1250 we would be looking at getting somewhere for around 1000 so it's looking like we might have to move down the country as their doesn't seem to be many options for a 2 bedroom for 1000.

Advertisement