Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing item on credit card that exceeds your credit limit

Options
  • 06-01-2016 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to credit my credit card, by paying off more money than I owe on it.

For example, lets say I have a current balance of zero and my credit limit is 1000. But I'd like to buy something worth 1500. Is it possible for me to pay off another 500 on the card and then I'll be able to purchase the item worth 1500.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Morning krazymuthafuka,

Thanks for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie

As draiochtanois correctly mentioned, the answer is Yes. You can certainly 'top up' your credit card account by transferring more money than is owed. This will place your account in credit and thus increase the spending power on the card.

If you're registered for online banking, you can make this transfer online using the Mobile App, Tablet App or 365Online. Just to mention, this transfer will take one full working day once made before the cut off time of 3.30pm. You can also lodge cash in any Bank of Ireland LATM with your Credit card and pin number and this will credit immediately during working hours.

We hope this helps and if you need anything further please don't hesitate to post again.

Thanks,
    Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭krazymuthafuka

Thanks for your help guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

This is also handy when going on holidays.. Stick all your spending cash on the card.. Saves lot of messing with local currency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

Hi krazymuthafuka & Into The Blue,

Thanks for adding this Into The Blue, but just to mention, outside the Euro zone a cross border handling fee of 2.25% applies to the transaction value on all transactions regardless of whether your credit card account is in credit or not. When withdrawing cash, a cash withdrawal fee of €2.54 or 1.5%, whichever is greater, applies unless your credit card account is in credit when the transaction hits the account and has a zero or credit balance after the transaction is completed.

For more tips on using your credit card abroad, please see here https://personalbankin...s/travelling-abroad/

Thanks,

Evie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 irishuser11

Thanks for adding this Into The Blue, but just to mention, outside the Euro zone a cross border handling fee of 2.25% applies to the transaction value on all transactions
    Hi, I transferred money to my card on Fri evening and it still hasn't shown up - I can see the debit from my current account (listed as today for some reason) - I'm going to miss out on a flight if this doesn't happen soon?  Computers work weekends, what's the hold up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Thanks for adding this Into The Blue, but just to mention, outside the Euro zone a cross border handling fee of 2.25% applies to the transaction value on all transactions
    Hi, I transferred money to my card on Fri evening and it still hasn't shown up - I can see the debit from my current account (listed as today for some reason) - I'm going to miss out on a flight if this doesn't happen soon?  Computers work weekends, what's the hold up ?
    Hi irishuser11, thanks for getting in touch.

If the transfer was made after the cut off time on Friday then it would be processed the next working day (Monday) and the amount will show on your credit card balance today. The normal cut off time for accounts in Republic of Ireland would be 3.30pm.

If you need more info, details of payment cut off times can be found here. I hope this helps, please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks
    Nicola

Maybe you could you suggest to your developers that they do a quick date check, then inform the customer about the process.

This is a service I pay for, BOI should start thinking about customer needs. One of these is that I don't need or want to be familiar with whatever Neolithic process ye abide by.

Maybe you could you suggest to your developers that they do a quick date check, then inform the customer about the process.

This is a service I pay for, BOI should start thinking about customer needs. One of these is that I don't need or want to be familiar with whatever Neolithic process ye abide by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi irishuser11, thanks for your post.

While it’s possible to request a transfer online at any time, payments that are requested on a weekend or Bank Holiday are processed on the next working day (this is also the date on your bank statement that the transfer will show as being deducted).

A transfer request after the cut-off time will be treated as being received by us on the next banking day. When you're making a payment online you will get a message advising this along with a link to view the full details of payment cut off times before you confirm the transfer.

I'll certainly pass on your comments to our online team and please get in touch if you need help with anything else.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Advertisement

Hi irishuser11, thanks for your post.

While it’s possible to request a transfer online at any time, payments that are requested on a weekend or Bank Holiday are processed on the next working day (this is also the date on your bank statement that the transfer will show as being deducted).

A transfer request after the cut-off time will be treated as being received by us on the next banking day. When you're making a payment online you will get a message advising this along with a link to view the full details of payment cut off times before you confirm the transfer.

I'll certainly pass on your comments to our online team and please get in touch if you need help with anything else.

Thanks
    Nicola
    Hi Nicola,
    Thanks for that info - all the same, I was transferring my money between my accounts - the fact it took 3 days - thus far has cost me 400EUR in increased flight prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I though putting your credit card in credit was a red flag for money laundering.

Advertisement