Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Coast

Options
  • 06-01-2016 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to move from the West Coast to the East Coast. Unfortunatly I can't afford Dublin or nearby but looking for somewhere a bit lively with good transport to Dublin (an hour or two to Dublin on the train would be fine) any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Wexford?
    When you say 'somewhere a bit lively'- what have you in mind?

Naas if you don't actually want somewhere coastal.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

I live in Greystones. Commute is a bit of bummer - especially coming home. If you get very near the dart station that would be ideal but there is also the 84x serving town too at commuting times (but traffic has got horrific the last few months).
    As for somewhere to live though, it's the business. Great community and full of life and things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I am hoping to move from the West Coast to the East Coast. Unfortunatly I can't afford Dublin or nearby but looking for somewhere a bit lively with good transport to Dublin (an hour or two to Dublin on the train would be fine) any thoughts would be appreciated.

Balbriggan
    Dundalk
    Drogeda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Gravestones would be way way out of my budget (approx 140k but only want something small as there is only 2 of us)

Not keen on Balbriggan but Drogheda sounds interesting as I know it has a train service and bus service to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you retired? Or is getting a job in the place first a good idea?

My husband is retired, I would like to do something part time but if not possible that's o.k. We just have state pension so not very well off but can manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

There are a few houses available in arklow in your price range, travelling a bit further down to Gorey and your money will go slightly further

Is Arklow a nice place to live or would somewhere like Drogheda be more lively?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 bald_painter

drogheda isnt within walking distance of a beach , you cant even see the beach from anywhere in the town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I've only been to Arklow a couple of times but one of the times the main street was full of scobes in their souped up Micras and Civics revving the engines and racing up and down for several hours.

Just the impression I got while I was there, no idea what it's like to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've only been to Arklow a couple of times but one of the times the main street was full of scobes in their souped up Micras and Civics revving the engines and racing up and down for several hours.

Just the impression I got while I was there, no idea what it's like to live there.

I've visited Drogheda several times, and came away with an impression that is different, but equally damning.

However visitors impressions and the reality of living in a place can be vastly different.

OP, depending on what kind of lively you want, try googling "active retirement" and various towns that you're looking at, and see what's on offer. That may give you some idea of what places would be like.

Also, are you looking to buy or rent? If to buy, then I would seriously recommend renting in a town for six months first to see what it's like.

And remember, the east coast doesn't get as much rain, but is noticeably colder in winter. You may be swapping the pot for kettle.

A beach is not important, we would just like someone with a bit of life in the town.

I've visited Drogheda several times, and came away with an impression that is different, but equally damning.

However visitors impressions and the reality of living in a place can be vastly different.

OP, depending on what kind of lively you want, try googling "active retirement" and various towns that you're looking at, and see what's on offer. That may give you some idea of what places would be like.

Also, are you looking to buy or rent? If to buy, then I would seriously recommend renting in a town for six months first to see what it's like.

And remember, the east coast doesn't get as much rain, but is noticeably colder in winter. You may be swapping the pot for kettle.

Looking to buy....I know about the weather I lived in Dublin for 35 years, I much prefer the weather on the East Coast... despite the cold its better than raining ever day and fierce winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Arklow is ok, not so many boy racers around now, like all spots there are bad areas but I like the town.

5 minutes down the road their is a lovely secluded beach, you would drive by in without noticing. There's a large shopping centre and the main street, which took quite a hit during the recession is beginning to pick back up.

As I said there are a few dodgy spots and a few dodgy pubs but there are also quite a few nice places to go for a bite to eat and a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

A beach is not important, we would just like someone with a bit of life in the town.

I would say that over the past 15 years or so Gorey has significantly surpassed Arklow in terms of convenience, activities and facilities esp as these are more closely grouped on the (now extended) Main Street and side streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Augeo wrote: »
    Naas if you don't actually want somewhere coastal.

Naas is about as expensive as dublin at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Gorey would be nicer than Arklow but about 10 - 15 minutes further away from Dublin. Better library, good theatre, nicer pubs. Reasonably frequent coaches into Dublin (the train is less frequent). I'm not from there but I have been living there for about 6 years now and I like it.

Gorey might be worth investigating then, thanks for that.... any thoughts about Waterford City?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Gorey might be worth investigating then, thanks for that.... any thoughts about Waterford City?

As they would say in Gorey, Waterford do be on the south coast!

• Advertisement
Advertisement