Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

different property tax models depending on the type of use

Options
  • 06-01-2016 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

We are away from Ireland for 13+ years now & return to Ireland 4/5 times per year & rent a holiday home. We are thinking about buying outright for our own use only. Appreciate thoughts on the this & advice on taxes/costs payable for such a model.

I'm trying to understand if there are different tax models depending on the type of use.For example:
    -Hoiday Home model.
    -Rental property model (essentially vacant & loss making).
    -Principal residence model (not really applicable as our principal residence is overseas).
    -Other model.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

No difference anymore.
    You pay LPT and TV license if you've a tv there for an hour or a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

Thanks for that Carawaystick.
    Let's say we pursue the rental property model for arguments sake. Can I offset my LPT, insurance and water charges against any losses made due to the property being vacant?

As an aside:
    This makes a luxury mobile home a real runner for me now in the context of coming home to Ireland 4/5 times a year. I know this is apples and teaspoons however:
    -No planning permission.:)
    -No LPT.:)
    -Mobility :)
    -Lower insurance.:)
    -Water charges?:confused:
    -What other positives? :confused:

-Not bricks & Mortar, high depriciation?:(
    -Cold in winter?:(
    -Paying site rental.:(
    -Paying site services costs:(
    -Security risk when vacant :(
    -What other negatives? :confused: