Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving for a house

• 06-01-2016 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi I am just looking for some general advise. Myself and my partner are starting to save for our first house, we are a few years away from having the mortgage deposit but am wondering where is the best place to start saving? At the mo we are doing a direct debit to a CU. Also for 1st time buyers is it 10% of the house price you need saved. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Put your details into bonkers.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

It makes no difference where you save as you will need to provide a 6 month savings statement with your mortgage application. Currently you need 10% deposit plus stamp duty of 1% of the purchase price and legal fees of approx. 2k.
    Pecker31 wrote: »
    Hi I am just looking for some general advise. Myself and my partner are starting to save for our first house, we are a few years away from having the mortgage deposit but am wondering where is the best place to start saving? At the mo we are doing a direct debit to a CU. Also for 1st time buyers is it 10% of the house price you need saved. Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

10% on the first 220k, 20% on anything after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Check put the best buys on askaboutmoney for the best savings accounts / interest rates. From my own experience saving for a mortgage putting the money somewhere where it's hard to access is good - i used KBC for some of my savings as i had to write to them if i wanted to make a withdrawal...it stops the temptation of dipping into it.

Advertisement