Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to clear vegetable beds

Options
  • 06-01-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi,

moved into a new house last year and the previous owners had created vegetable beds at some stage but had neglected them for a few years and thet have become overgrown with mainly grass and some weeds. I'm a complete novice when it comes to vegetable growing but want to have a go at it this year. What is the simplest way to clear the existing grass from the beds and how else should I prep it for planting in a couple of months??

As a side question what vegetables should I start off trying to grow, i.e. what will take the least care and attention?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Your main problem is going to be the condition of the soil - how wet it is etc. If you attempt to do anything while its wet you will just end up compacting it. You could try to cover it with black plastic, cardboard (well weighted down) or old carpets etc - anything that will block out the light and kill the weeds. It will also help to dry it out. By March or so peel back the plastic and dig over the beds. There's going to be a bit of work involved, but its worth it. Decide too what you want to grow - there's no point in growing radishes or onions if no one in the house actually likes them! Do a bit of research - draw up a rotation plan if you plan on growing potatoes etc.
    Is there going to be any permanent planting e.g. rhubarb etc? Hasten slowly, maybe just dig, manure and grow a few lettuces etc for this year. Gardening teaches us to think in the long term :)
    You may need to think about installing tanks to store rain water. Vegetables need regular watering and, depending on where you live, July and August can be pretty dry some years.
    Have you a composter? Or a compost heap?
    There's a lot to consider - maybe there's a local gardening group? Neighbouring gardeners tend to be a friendly lot and will have valuable information on local conditions, what grows well etc.
    Any plans for fruit trees? or bushes?
    It's not difficult, but it does take a bit of time.
    Stick with it though - and get back when you have questions. There's nothing nicer than eating something that you grew and then picked yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

lottpaul wrote: »
    Your main problem is going to be the condition of the soil - how wet it is etc. If you attempt to do anything while its wet you will just end up compacting it. You could try to cover it with black plastic, cardboard (well weighted down) or old carpets etc - anything that will block out the light and kill the weeds. It will also help to dry it out. By March or so peel back the plastic and dig over the beds. There's going to be a bit of work involved, but its worth it. Decide too what you want to grow - there's no point in growing radishes or onions if no one in the house actually likes them! Do a bit of research - draw up a rotation plan if you plan on growing potatoes etc.
    Is there going to be any permanent planting e.g. rhubarb etc? Hasten slowly, maybe just dig, manure and grow a few lettuces etc for this year. Gardening teaches us to think in the long term :)
    You may need to think about installing tanks to store rain water. Vegetables need regular watering and, depending on where you live, July and August can be pretty dry some years.
    Have you a composter? Or a compost heap?
    There's a lot to consider - maybe there's a local gardening group? Neighbouring gardeners tend to be a friendly lot and will have valuable information on local conditions, what grows well etc.
    Any plans for fruit trees? or bushes?
    It's not difficult, but it does take a bit of time.
    Stick with it though - and get back when you have questions. There's nothing nicer than eating something that you grew and then picked yourself!

For someone unused to gardening I would suggest the priorities are:

1/Remove weeds by eliminating light as you jave suggested.
    2/Dig the soil over so it is broken up amd dig in manure (get a couple of bags from Woodies)
    3/Choose things you will eat.
    4/ Plant seeds/(onion or garlic) sets-If you look at the back of veg packets in Woodies etc it tells you when to plant
    5/ Make sure the soil doesn't get dry. If it does then water it.

I wouldn't worry about rotation, composting, collecting rainwater or thinking longterm yet. Best to have success in the first year by not making it too complicated.
    You can always move a rhubarb in year 2 if you decide it's in the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

I have had reliable success with onions, garlic, rhubarb, carrots and these guys don't seem too fussy about watering etc

Advertisement