Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Mad Stuff] The Spine Race

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Disappointed for Eoin, wise move if he's injured though. Such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Will be interesting finish, Pavel and Eugeni still neck and neck. was trying to see how much sleep they've had but cant be more than 6-7hrs? I think Eugeni has had a little more than Pavel as Pavel had a lead yday morning but Eugeni caught up, so we have Pavel with less sleep but maybe more steady pace and Eugeni with more sleep but chased down Pavel..

Course record must be on given the comparatively not so bad conditions this . the record set by Eoin is 95hrs last year and he finished Wed morning after a Saturday morning start, just under 4 days. think weather was worse last year aswell.

the two lads currently at 70hrs with 72 miles left, should know the winner this time tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Fecks sake! Internet coverage has been like those trackers up the Spout so I've missed all the last updates.

Gutted for Eoin. No doubt he'll be back more determined than ever. Hope it's nothing serious. Pavel seems to be on an absolute minimum amount of sleep, wonder if this will catch him out?

seems Eoin had fractured rib from fall on the first night..

"Eoin Keith (IRL) in good spirits despite DNF at Alston. Confirmed fractured rib from a fall on the first night. He continued on anyway. "I wasn't going to retire in a podium spot," he said. But once Tom Hollins (GBR) passed him he decided to drop"

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

The two lads are just about to arrive into CP5. Still neck and neck. Will be very interesting to see who makes a break for it. Just 52 miles left out of 268!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Interesting to see Carol Morgan firmly inside the top ten as well. Well ahead of second placed female.

Pavel and Eugeni still moving together but while they took a nap at Bellingham, Tom Hollins was creeping up behind them. He's less than a mile behind them now. How exciting is this.

Looks like Eoins record is still intact though :)

yep, they had 2 hours rest at cp5 but he trucked on through and nearly up with them now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

looks like they are all together now

They're together now ..... so what kind of tactics come into play in a race like this? Does one of them decide to bolt and hope they have enough in the tank to sustain it? A bit like the Keirin in track cycling.

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    They're together now ..... so what kind of tactics come into play in a race like this? Does one of them decide to bolt and hope they have enough in the tank to sustain it? A bit like the Keirin in track cycling.

And that is exactly what Tom seems to be doing.....

Feck the mens race. Look at Carol Morgan - 52 miles ahead of her nearest female competitor!

Now I don't know how impressive this actually is, the rest of the women against her could be like me racing against Daniela Ryf, but on paper it looks pretty freakin impressive.

Feck the mens race. Look at Carol Morgan - 52 miles ahead of her nearest female competitor!

Now I don't know how impressive this actually is, the rest of the women against her could be like me racing against Daniela Ryf, but on paper it looks pretty freakin impressive.

She's doing unbelievably well, top 7 is phenomenal regardless of whether she's male or female - the saturation rate in this race shows just how tough it is. She seems to have done very well in the ultra scene in Ireland

wow, Tom has a lead of 6 miles on Eugenie and Pavel, 23 miles remaining and he's 88hrs on the go.

there was an update at 2am saying there was 0.5miles between the 3 of them so Tom must have put the foot down.

Carol up to joint 5th..great going, she's only 20 miles behind Pavel and Eugeni, 62 miles ahead of 2nd place female

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Looks like Tom will be due a penalty for missing out a dog leg at the Roman Camps at 3:30 this morning. The other 2 took the correct route. No more than 1km extra distance.

At this point even a 30min time penalty applied at the finish shouldn't impact on his winning lead. About 10 miles left to go.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Looks like Tom will be due a penalty for missing out a dog leg at the Roman Camps at 3:30 this morning. The other 2 took the correct route. No more than 1km extra distance.

At this point even a 30min time penalty applied at the finish shouldn't impact on his winning lead. About 10 miles left to go.

I know nothing about this type of racing but surely not completing the course would result in a DQ? Otherwise where do you draw the line - i.e. if you skip half the course do you just get a bigger penalty?

The 2 currenty behind have already been penalised for a similar offence. The officals determined they gained 20 mins by doing so and add a 50% extra time to it and gave them a 30 min standing penalty at one of the checkpoints.

EC1000 wrote: »
    I know nothing about this type of racing but surely not completing the course would result in a DQ? Otherwise where do you draw the line - i.e. if you skip half the course do you just get a bigger penalty?

I suppose in a race where you are navigating your own way around the course allowances need to be different.

EC1000 wrote: »
    Keeks wrote: »
    The 2 currenty behind have already been penalised for a similar offence. The officals determined they gained 20 mins by doing so and add a 50% extra time to it and gave them a 30 min standing penalty at one of the checkpoints.

The length of the race, the difficult self navigation and the sleep deprivation, especially at the pointy end of things, lend themselves to mistakes being made on the course. I've no doubt that Toms mistake and Pavel and Euginis mistake were unintentional so the best way the organisers have to deal with it is to implement a time penalty, as per Keeks above. Eugini and Pavel served their time penalty at one of the checkpoints two days ago so the rankings are correct at the moment.

Fascinating finish. I did not think Tom would be able to catch the two lads let alone open up a 7 mile gap as of ~10am.
    Carol surely has this won unless she is unlucky enough to pick up an injury. Mammoth running from her!
    Pity about Eoin's injury, you cant help but think it could have been an Irish 1 - 2 in the standings!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Nav errors are allowed in the race. You just get punished for them.

No need to draw a line as everyone who enters the race understands the rules. You're not going to get someone cutting half the course etc. It would mean they would be heading in wrong direction for days.

Some performance by hollins. I do wonder if the two lads spent too much time racing each other.

Looks like Pavel has made a break for it. He is .5 miles ahead of Eugini

406802.jpg
    I think Eugini has taken a wrong turn!?

TOm was supported from what i understand as they said on a few updates he was sleeping / taking breaks in a camper van at the various CPs, but does doing it supported give him advantage over non supported people?

i guess given the outcome it's not viewed that way but just wondering how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Bulmers wrote: »
    TOm was supported from what i understand as they said on a few updates he was sleeping / taking breaks in a camper van at the various CPs, but does doing it supported give him advantage over non supported people?

i guess given the outcome it's not viewed that way but just wondering how it works

They all have the option to be supported... I am sure they all have some support team, maybe not to the same extent but I would guess they have somebody at each CP with food, supplies etc..

Looks like Carol Morgan finished in joint 6th place with a new women's course record!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Looks like Carol Morgan finished in joint 6th place with a new women's course record!

107:26:01 tbc she did not want cameras at the finish apparently but what a fantastic achievement. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Smashed it by 43 hours or something mad!!

Advertisement