Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

texts sent abroad dont arrive

Options
  • 06-01-2016 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hello, i am with meteor ten years(moving tomorrow) i sent texts to three friends in belgium, all on Base (provider) no texts arrive., i can ring all three.

texts to a Mobistar friend do arrive.

texts to an Ortel(piggybacked on Base ) arrived for two years, now dont.

lady in Meteor ,having asked technicians , said they had no agreement with Base

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

rugbyman wrote: »
    Hello, i am with meteor ten years(moving tomorrow) i sent texts to three friends in belgium, all on Base (provider) no texts arrive., i can ring all three.

lady in Meteor ,having asked technicians , said they had no agreement with Base

Is there a question? You have your answer. They have no agreement, so text may or may not be delivered. SMS is more commonly based on agreements, where calls generally get through via national and international switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

there is also, on 3 at least, the wrinkle that "free top up" credit can't be used for international texts

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

thank you both for your info,, Paul, texts to an Ortel(piggybacked on Base ) arrived for two years, now dont.

Regards

Paul, texts to an Ortel(piggybacked on Base ) arrived for two years, now dont.

Operators, from time to time, tidy up their config, and contracts start/end, so connections for SMS come and go. They can work and then stop. Unknown to you, it may be due to a business reason or technical reason.

Also, many operators used to have fairly open SMS gateways that would accept incoming SMS from almost anywhere. Now, due to security, etc, they close down a lot of that, and then set it to only allow incoming SMS from operators they have contracts and agreements with.

It's not a fault, it's just business.

Paul

in January you answered as above. it seemed a plausible answer , though you used the words can and may.

i got fed up ringing Metoer about it. I find it astounding that 24% of belgian mobile phone users cannot receive texts from Meteor. i perhaps could understand countries far away;

Now i have another problem and am resurecting this thread to air it.

I bought an LG phone in Belgium , inserted my meteor sim and used it merrily for six weeks ,voice ,texts(to non Base) and Data

two weeks ago, a day before returning home to Ireland. I could not get Data.
    I rang Meteor, nice woman suggested I click into roamingalerts.com to ok the service.( i was aware of this need ,as it popped up daily for years)

Apparently though I cannot click into , say RTE.ie without data, i can ,or should be able to click into roamingalerts.com, as it sort of can get in there without data.

This did not work, nor did the suggestion that i turn it off for ten mins.

Next morning ,back in Ireland , all was well and i though nothing more untill I came back to Belgium today.

By the way Paul, I was able today ,and a few weeks ago to log my phone into BASE and talk /receive calls all day.

So for todays no data problem, any ideas?

• Advertisement

i feel the problem is with my phone.

there are two ways to switch off data, neither is switched off

i googled this prob. but the answers were from all over the world

Todays lady in Meteor suggested i put my sim in another phone. i shall do this shortly, . this should indicate ,if it works t,that the prob is with my LG. But thats what i suspect anyway

There is a little R on top of the signal bars. google tells me that that shows i am not on my usual service provider

Regards,

i have received a message that the problem is that i have left my home country without.......,cannot read any further... clicking on this messsage gets me to settings..

There is a little R on top of the signal bars. google tells me that that shows i am not on my usual service provider

R usually means that you are roaming, so not on your home provider. This can mean limited service, or no service, depending on your home contract.

You will need to ask Meteor if you have roaming data permitted, and what your data allowance is. You may have run out of your data allowance. Some providers only allow roaming clients to use 3G instead of 4G, so it may be that your phone is insisting on 4G, even though the local network won't give you 4G service.

You would need someone in Meteor to check. Maybe try the Talk To ... service on Boards.

Thank you Paul,

meteor say all is well at their end, so no limit on data
    i feel its a quick of this LG phone. bought it in belgium, though the LG UK site does not recognise the model no.
    the lady at LG UK says its from the Unitd arab emirates!!!

Kyle on the Meteor website is on the case now

Thanks again

a young lad in belgium,not in a mobile shop ,sorted it in 15 seconds.

its a twin sim phone and there are three different ways of switching off data, i was aware of two

• Advertisement
Advertisement