Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scattering ashes at sea

• 06-01-2016 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭

Hope someone can help, my dad requested that his ashes be scattered at sea, has anyone done this, is it a matter of renting a boat or are permits needed.

We are waiting on the RNLI to get back to us but I'm just covering all eventualities in case they can't.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭lilydonoghue

we just scattered our mother's from the pier. You can get a biodegradable container if you want to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

What a lovely thing to do for him & I'm very sorry for your loss.

I happen to have experience in this - the official line for ashes is that scattering ashes from piers/harbours you should have the permission of the local harbourmaster - however in reality nobody knows or pays attention to people on piers or what they are doing & you would be exceptionally unlucky to ever meet an official from the government on a pier.

I wouldn't bother ringing the department of Marine/ Fisheries etc for scattering ashes as they are an upsetting nightmare to deal with - their official line is that for scattering of ashes at sea there is no requirement to inform them, and for the coast of Ireland (the 28 counties ONLY) there are no permits or reatrictions at sea in place.

Unless your Dad had connections with the RNLI you would be very fortunate to get their help in beinging you out to sea to do this - They're great people but they are leaving their work for emergencies & I doubt that a crew would be rallied & the launch costs incurred for at an sea private ceremony, if there was no connection.

There are other nautical options such as a local beach or a place where your Dad had a special connection with - a lough, a lake or river or somewhere like Howth Head or Galway Bay - again there are no restrictions or regulations for scattering ashes there.

At the Moment the weather is horrendous but if date didn't matter you might be able to get the assistance or services of a private company or someone in club during the ( summer) sailing season when boats are back on the water again - but bear in mind wind direction, weather unpredictability for small sailing boats, suitability of vessel ( motor might be less unpredictable & you can plot and get to your destination without minding the wind speed or direction) & the emotional aspect - it might be easier to do a dignified departure with time for prayer and reflection from a shore or headland, rather than having people being scared or seasick or having to duck under sails with too many people on a small open back deck.

I would warn against fancy sealed urns and plastic sealed containers which can float. Most ashes which come from the crematoria in Dublin have the ashes secured within the urn in a polyeurathine protective unit - a good undertaker who helped you at the time should be able to resolve any questions you have free of charge - If in Dublin PM me and I can advise you if you want. Naturally you should bear in mind that you might find it very difficult and distressing when it comes to the final physical distribution & final departure. It is such a lovely way to go - your father must have had a great love for the sea and outdoors, I am sure he really appreciates what you are doing for him. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Thanks all,

My father was a naval seaman and from the small contact i had with the RNLI it was looking promising but yeah I understand that they have priorities/jobs and that has to come first.

I have been in touch with one of the ferry companies, this is looking like a more feasible option, we are just waiting to hear back from one of their captains to see if he will agree to it.

Quite a few years ago, I was on a ferry to Holyhead and I saw it being done, was very nice, captain said a few words and it was all over in a few minutes (and slightly of topic but my daughter would love to go on a ferry)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sorry for your loss. if your stuck I have a small boat that will seat 6 and I could bring you out off Skerries if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Hi all,

Just a follow up and hopefully I will be able to help someone if they ever search for this.

We got in contact with Stena, they arranged everything really well, the captain came out, said a short prayer, they even had a special box that they use to lower the ashes into the sea.

And what we found was a really nice touch was the captain came to us after is was all done with a cert to show the coordinates. They really made what could have been quite a difficult day, very special.

• Advertisement
Advertisement