Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need a helmet and safety gear for balance bike?

Options
  • 06-01-2016 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Our little fella is turning 2 in Feb and we have got him a balance bike. Only just occurred to me now that we probably should get him a helmet and knee guards etc. Will he need them? I can't imagine him zooming around fast enough to cause any damage to himself but better safe than sorry I suppose. Where is the best place to buy them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

Our little fella is turning 2 in Feb and we have got him a balance bike. Only just occurred to me now that we probably should get him a helmet and knee guards etc. Will he need them? I can't imagine him zooming around fast enough to cause any damage to himself but better safe than sorry I suppose. Where is the best place to buy them?

I got a Strider balance bike for my little girl for Christmas. I bought the helmet and elbow/knees pads too as part of a set. I want to drill safely into her from an early age, especially at this age when they're so delicate. My neighbour died after going over his handlebars without a helmet on and I will never forget that. If you look at Halfords, Smyths or any of the sites that so strider bikes, they will do safety equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My boy is 2 in feb also and he got the strider for xmas. They def need helmets! Even if they don't go fast, a car could reverse out of a driveway or they could not a bump in the footpath funny.

And they go really fast! My boy is still only walking with his as we've gotten outside a total of 3 times since xmas with the bad weather. Also I think the bulky clothing and gloves etc needed this time of year slow them down a bit!

I might get mine knee pads etc when the weather is better but I honestly don't think he'd be able to move if he had them on him at the mo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yes they definitely need helmets. My 2.5 year old has started using her brothers balance bike and she's a proper dare devil on it. Also it's good to introduce the habit of a helmet from a young age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Thanks girls :) Don't know how I didn't think of it before now. The bike we got him is a roller r2 balance bike to scooter. We got it a few months ago and I would have liked to get something that looks more like a proper bike but argos was out of stock of them at the time and the 3 for 2 offer was running out so we got it in a hurry. The reviews for it are ok but I was looking at pictures online and the saddle seems quite low and the handlebars are high. We're going to assemble it at the weekend and if it looks unsuitable then we'll return it and get something nicer. I was looking at the red Chicco one, I think it looks way nicer than the one we got.

Ha I thought it would be a nice little thing that my boy would push along slowly on but it sounds like I could be getting more than I bargained for :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think that even if they didn't necessarily need them, that I'd use one anyway to get them into the habit of putting one on all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Thanks girls :) <snip>
    is there a gender check here before posting ? Are kids an exclusively female responsibility ? Can I post as a man ?

anyhow, our 2 wee ones didnt have any knee pads and didnt need them.
    The helmet was used, but straps so loose that you may as well have not bothered, but still, wearing a helmet is as much to get them in the habit as anything.

The positive is that after using a balance bike for over a year, our daughter learnt to cycle properly within maybe an hour of trying the proper bike.
    Stabilisers were used initially, but proved as much a hinderance as anything, but at least the pedalling concept can be tried out before going to balance+pedalling at the same time.

The one "issue" was that our balance bike had no brake so the shoes suffered as a consequence.

is there a gender check here before posting ? Are kids an exclusively female responsibility ? Can I post as a man ?

She thanked the posters who had already responded to her post. They are female. Not really a big deal and no need to feel offended. Plenty of men post here and are always welcome. No reason for them not to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Yep, as whoopsie said, there's no need to feel offended. It's just that I recognise all of the previous posters (bar yourself of course) from the parenting forum and am aware that they are all female :)

I went to smyths today and the smallest helmet I could find was a 49-51cm one. It felt a bit big on my little boy but I bought it anyway. Will keep an eye out for a smaller one in the meantime.

Advertisement