Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland XI

• 06-01-2016 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

It's not going to happen obviously, due to one association needing to call it a day resulting in some suits losing power, the political tensions and differences of views between southern and northern football fans. It's worked in other sports notably Boxing and Rugby.

However, if you were given the job to bring a single squad (comprising of north and south) to the Euros this summer what would be your strongest XI?

Rather than turning it into a soundboard for fighting over territory, let's just stick to football. Personally I don't think we would be pulling up many trees but here's my XI

Kieron Westwood

Seamus Coleman
    Johnny Evans
    Gareth McAuley
    Chris Brunt

Wes Holohan
    James MCarthy
    Steven Davis
    Robbie Brady

Shane Long
    Jonathan Walters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

price690 wrote: »
    It's not going to happen obviously, due to one association needing to call it a day resulting in some suits losing power, the political tensions and differences of views between southern and northern football fans. It's worked in other sports notably Boxing and Rugby.

However, if you were given the job to bring a single squad (comprising of north and south) to the Euros this summer what would be your strongest XI?

Rather than turning it into a soundboard for fighting over territory, let's just stick to football. Personally I don't think we would be pulling up many trees but here's my XI

Kieron Westwood

Seamus Coleman
    Johnny Evans
    Gareth McAuley
    Chris Brunt

Wes Holohan
    James MCarthy
    Steven Davis
    Robbie Brady

Shane Long
    Jonathan Walters
    You had me till Johnny Evans. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Quazzie wrote: »

we are not exactly over flowing with defenders at the moment, let alone turn away a man with almost 200 PL appears and was good enough to play in a team that won it 3 times with him playing over 50 games in those 3 campaigns.

Evans would improve the Ireland team immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ironic that he'd be the only NI player 100% guaranteed to get in our team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not this again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Liam O wrote: »
    Ironic that he'd be the only NI player 100% guaranteed to get in our team...

Steven Davis would be guaranteed a spot in our midfield I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Not this again.

Cracking contribution

Suspend reality for 5 minutes and pick your XI ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I hate the North and they showed their true colours that night in 1993.Monkey chants were the lowest. I wish Macgrath or Phelan had got the winner that night.

As for a combination, I'd rather eat my own sick, sorry continue away there....:)

Steven Davis would be guaranteed a spot in our midfield I reckon

Unsure really, McCarthy is the obvious starter and Whelan is still playing every week for Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Cracking contribution

Suspend reality for 5 minutes and pick your XI ffs
    It's a waste of time doing this, a certain segment up North despise us, and with NI actually qualifying for a tournament, a joint team will certainly never happen now.

Might as well do an Ireland/Central African Republic XI, at least that would be original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I actually was going to pick my XI but I did it and realised it was all Irish players - not one from the north who hasn't already declared for us would I pick. Northern Ireland got VERY VERY lucky in their group. Particularly compared to us. We got the second highest top seeds in Germany. They got Greece who might as well not have bothered showing up. Scotland are far trickier 4th seeds than Finland. Georgia are tough 5th seeds. We did very well to take 6 points off them. They took 3 points off Scotland and only lost to them in Ibrox to an own-goal. They levelled against Germany in Leipzig too.

It's some achievement for a team from pot 5 to qualify, let alone to top their group, so absolutely fair play to them for that but I think we'd have walked their group with ease, if we played like we did post-Scotland.

As a group and as individuals our XI > Their XI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I'd have Lafferty, Evans, Davies but they'd have to fight for their place. Not sure they'd improve us a massive amount.
    I don't think any of them would be a show in but it would be certainly nice to have a former Man U player to replace our current first choice former man utd center half!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Quazzie wrote:
    BOHtox wrote: »
    I actually was going to pick my XI but I did it and realised it was all Irish players - not one from the north who hasn't already declared for us would I pick.

I'd love to know who you both would put in ahead of Evans. I think it's pretty clear he is the best defender from this island by some distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd pick Aaron Hughes ahead of Evans, most underrated defender ever imo, and still doing the business for Man City Kangaroos.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

That's funny.....my thought when I saw the thread title was simply 10 Ireland players plus jonny evans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Westwood ?!
    He probably won't even make the squad for euro 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I was looking at Fb about the reception for ROI/NI teams and some of the NI fans were saying that the ROI sneaked in through the playoffs.

Loving the bants :D

I'd love to know who you both would put in ahead of Evans. I think it's pretty clear he is the best defender from this island by some distance.

Well O'Shea as captain would be ahead of him. As would Clark and Wilson. Keogh has been very solid for us too to be fair. NI conceded one more goal than us in a considerably weaker group.

Evans would be in the squad, no doubt, but only a handful of NI players would be. Offhand I'm guessing no more than half a dozen that don't already declare for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

BOHtox wrote: »
    Well O'Shea as captain would be ahead of him. As would Clark and Wilson. Keogh has been very solid for us too to be fair. NI conceded one more goal than us in a considerably weaker group.

Evans would be in the squad, no doubt, but only a handful of NI players would be. Offhand I'm guessing no more than half a dozen that don't already declare for us

O'Shea I'll concede could be a name on the sheet ahead of him (though I'd put Evans ahead of him personally as did Ferguson whenever he had to formulate his centre-back pairings) but Clark? Really? Wilson? Keogh? Come on, I don't think for one second Tony Pulis would have any of them ahead of Evans. He's better than all of them.

O'Shea I'll concede could be a name on the sheet ahead of him (though I'd put Evans ahead of him personally as did Ferguson whenever he had to formulate his centre-back pairings) but Clark? Really? Wilson? Keogh? Come on, I don't think for one second Tony Pulis would have any of them ahead of Evans. He's better than all of them.
    I'd have Clark and Evans as the CB pairing tbh. JOS had a decent few games in qualifying bit is realistically in his last 4 or 5 games for Ireland. Clark is a decent player imo.

Clark has been a rock for Ireland, whatever about Villa. Same with Keogh. Let's put it this way, if this was club football you wouldn't be running out to sign a centre half who, at best, marginally improves what we have.

Evans, Davis and Brunt would make the 23. Maybe McAuley but we seem to be okay for centre halves as it is. I'd say Brunt would most likely be the one to start as we only really have McLean, if Brady plays LB, and MO'N seems to prefer him off the bench. Good set piece option too

There are some good young players though. McNair, Lavery, Ferguson

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

It is often stated how northern and southern soccer fans have different opinions regarding politics but if you look at things closer they actually don't, Northern Ireland fans wish to be a part of the UK and I would imagine around 70% of Republic of Ireland fans wish the border to be there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It is often stated how northern and southern soccer fans have different opinions regarding politics but if you look at things closer they actually don't, Northern Ireland fans wish to be a part of the UK and I would imagine around 70% of Republic of Ireland fans wish the border to be there too.

Yep, you literally just imagined that figure. I'd safely say you're wrong, I'd be 99% certain of it actually, unless "around" means give or take 30% or or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Some people just don't bother reading the op it seems. Nobody is saying that it will ever happen but we have numerous posts already saying it is stupid and it'll never happen etc.

Why can't you either do what the op asks or refrain from posting? This is just the same as picking a Premier league all time XI or other stuff that will never happen.
    It's not going to happen obviously..........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Westwood ?!
    He probably won't even make the squad for euro 2016

The best players and the players who MON will bring are not the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Cluxton
    Duxy Walsh Tommy Walsh Sean cavanagh rob Kearney
    Simon zebo Katie Walsh jonjo Nevin dick spring
    Big Jim Larkin luggs brannigan.

I've gone with safety at the back
    Flair on the wings , workhorse and scarapper on the middle
    And a top top striker complimented by a bruiser up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Pro. F wrote: »
    The best players and the players who MON will bring are not the same.

Any other gems out there, who MON might leave behind ?

Why do you ask? What relevance does that question have to the point I made?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cluxton
    Duxy Walsh Tommy Walsh Sean cavanagh rob Kearney
    Simon zebo Katie Walsh jonjo Nevin dick spring
    Big Jim Larkin luggs brannigan.

I've gone with safety at the back
    Flair on the wings , workhorse and scarapper on the middle
    And a top top striker complimented by a bruiser up front

I thought Jim Larkin played on the left wing

*grabs coat.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Why do you ask? What relevance does that question have to the point I made?

You made a point?:pac:

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    You made a point?:pac:

Edit: nevermind

Edit: nevermind

So you didn't make a point to speak of, you were merely bumping your gums

TheCitizen wrote: »
    So you didn't make a point to speak of, you were merely bumping your gums

The fact that you are pretending to be - or are genuinely - unable to grasp the very simple point I made is not something that I am going to bother engaging with.

The fact that you are pretending to be - or are genuinely - unable to grasp the very simple point I made is not something that I am going to bother engaging with.

You're a rather strange individual

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

Having heard the guys on the NT soccer podcast recently talking about their XI, this tweaked my interest. I'm not sure of right midfield though with Ronnie Whelan.

My All-Ireland XI:

Pat Jennings (Goalkeeper)
    Stephen Carr (Right-back)
    Paul McGrath (Center-back)
    Richard Dunne (Center-back)
    Denis Irwin (Left-back)
    Roy Keane (Midfield)
    Liam Brady (Playmaker)
    Ronnie Whelan (Right midfield)
    Damien Duff (Left winger)
    George Best (Attacking midfield)
    Robbie Keane (Striker)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Having heard the guys on the NT soccer podcast recently talking about their XI, this tweaked my interest. I'm not sure of right midfield though with Ronnie Whelan.

My All-Ireland XI:

Denis Irwin (Left-back)
    Roy Keane (Midfield)
    Liam Brady (Playmaker)
    Robbie Keane (Striker)

Um...Danny Blanchflower? John Giles? Johnny Carey?

Stephen Carr? Ah come on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

My All-Ireland XI:

Denis Irwin (Left-back)
    Roy Keane (Midfield)
    Liam Brady (Playmaker)
    Robbie Keane (Striker)

Jaysus you have left out some absolute brilliant players from both teams there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

sugarman wrote: »
    Carr? REAALLY?

Over Steve Finnan and Gary Kelly???

Id have had Irwin RB and Staunton LB.

Carr was absolutely brilliant before he got a knee injury in 2001.He was never the same player after that.

Agreed, never reached his full potential because of injuries and it restricted his appearances for us over the years.

A superb player but we were blessed in that position for years with himself, Finnan, Kelly and Irwin. All of which youd have to have a head of him due to their ever presence and consistent performances.

He'd walk into our team now if he was at his peak, even with Coleman in the side.

Kelly had a similar issue.He was brilliant up until he got shin splints when he was about 24 or 25 and he never turned out to be quite as brilliant as it looked like he was going to be.Still a solid player but he could have been a lot better if it hadn't been for injuries.

Finnan and Irwin were genuine top class alright, they never seemed to have a bad game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Irwin was an outstanding player,it's difficult to remember him having a bad game.

Um...Danny Blanchflower? John Giles? Johnny Carey?

Stephen Carr? Ah come on...

There are only 11 slots. Carr was an excellent player. Feel free to make your own list.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Jaysus you have left out some absolute brilliant players from both teams there

Like I said to Conor - there are only 11 slots. All the brilliant players can't all make the team.

Carr? REAALLY?

Over Steve Finnan and Gary Kelly???

Id have had Irwin RB and Staunton LB.

Carr was excellent. Feel free to post your own XI.

Carr was excellent. Feel free to post your own XII.

Well if I'm allowed 12, I'd axe Carr, Dunne and Duff and put in Carey, Blanchflower, Lawrenson and Giles. Other than that Id keep the rest!

Well if I'm allowed 12, I'd axe Carr, Dunne and Duff and put in Carey, Blanchflower, Lawrenson and Giles. Other than that Id keep the rest!

Clearly a typo but nice try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I hate the North and they showed their true colours that night in 1993.Monkey chants were the lowest. I wish Macgrath or Phelan had got the winner that night.

As for a combination, I'd rather eat my own sick, sorry continue away there....:)

That was 23 years ago. It's particularly unusual to hold a grudge for that long given that racism was equally rampant in RoI in the early 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Agreed, never reached his full potential because of injuries and it restricted his appearances for us over the years.

A superb player but we were blessed in that position for years with himself, Finnan, Kelly and Irwin. All of which youd have to have a head of him due to their ever presence and consistent performances.

He'd walk into our team now if he was at his peak, even with Coleman in the side.

Kelly had a similar issue.He was brilliant up until he got shin splints when he was about 24 or 25 and he never turned out to be quite as brilliant as it looked like he was going to be.Still a solid player but he could have been a lot better if it hadn't been for injuries.

Finnan and Irwin were genuine top class alright, they never seemed to have a bad game.
    Thing about Kelly is that he was superb from day one of his career and had eight great years before the shin splints. I'm not siding with him just pointing out the fact that he was a long time around before the injuries struck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

v3ttel wrote: »
    That was 23 years ago. It's particularly unusual to hold a grudge for that long given that racism was equally rampant in RoI in the early 90s.

can you give these examples? I may have bad memory

v3ttel wrote: »

It certainly was prevalent in football, and not just at the Rangers and Chelseas, one thinks of the reception WBA players got at Old Trafford 15 years before that night when even the commentator expressed disgust.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Thing about Kelly is that he was superb from day one of his career and had eight great years before the shin splints. I'm not siding with him just pointing out the fact that he was a long time around before the injuries struck.

Yeah he was brilliant from the start up until his injury problems but he was past his best very early (although he was very young when he started) because of the shin splints injury. Danny Mills was being picked in front of him for Leeds in the early 2000's at right back and with justification.Mills overall wasn't as good as him but Kelly declined from the late 90's onwards because of the injury.

Yeah he was brilliant from the start up until his injury problems but he was past his best very early (although he was very young when he started) because of the shin splints injury. Danny Mills was being picked in front of him for Leeds in the early 2000's at right back and with justification.Mills overall wasn't as good as him but Kelly declined from the late 90's onwards because of the injury.

Mills was a grafter, never had Kelly's elegance. A lot of snarling and energy, little class, he was the type who'd always try to walk through / shoulder the opponent handing him the ball for a throw in. The shin splints set Kelly back, maybe it was his slightness that meant it affected him more, but he was still a decent fullback after it, 500+ appearances for Leeds made for a good cv though towards the end things soured a bit when Leeds fans perceived him as one of the players sitting on his old contract with high wages and unwilling to take a cut. Which was a pity for a one club player who was a great servant, but a victim of the Ridsdale fallout and wage tightening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement