Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland XI

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

yabadabado wrote: »
    Irwin was an outstanding player,it's difficult to remember him having a bad game.

Staunton was the same, he was an integral part of our team in the 90s (and still in early 00s) whether he played LB or LM. I'd say he hit his peak around 93/94 and was fantastic.

Would have Irwin RB and Staunton LB. I think Staunton's ill fated stint as manager may cloud people's judgement but my God he had some left foot on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

yabadabado wrote: »
    Irwin was an outstanding player,it's difficult to remember him having a bad game.

Heard a thing on WF phone in about Irwin. How while wasn't the most gifted he had the temperament and enough skill so he always took the right option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

kfallon wrote: »
    Staunton was the same, he was an integral part of our team in the 90s (and still in early 00s) whether he played LB or LM. I'd say he hit his peak around 93/94 and was fantastic.

Would have Irwin RB and Staunton LB. I think Staunton's ill fated stint as manager may cloud people's judgement but my God he had some left foot on him.
    Those would be my starting full backs as well, in their prime both players were brilliant. Without doubt Stans legacy was tarnished from his managerial stint.

Those two at full back with McGrath/Lawrenson playing CB makes an outstanding back four.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Worztron wrote: »
    Carr was excellent. Feel free to post your own XI.
    Carr wouldn't make it into an all time Republic first 11, nevermind an All Ireland 11

Mal Donaghy was a good full back

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Mal Donaghy was a good full back

Compared to Irwin or Staunton he was rubbish! Very, very average player! Like putting Alan Maybury forward as a contender!

Compared to Irwin or Staunton he was rubbish! Very, very average player! Like putting Alan Maybury forward as a contender!
    Don't think he'd get in an all time first 11 but he was better than Alan Maybury. Played in the top flight in England for many years with Luton, Man Yoo and Chelsea. 91 caps for Norn Iron played in two World Cups. You're one for exaggerating obviously.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Don't think he'd get in an all time first 11 but he was better than Alan Maybury. Played in the top flight in England for many years with Luton, Man Yoo and Chelsea. 91 caps for Norn Iron played in two World Cups. You're one for exaggerating obviously.

Phil Babb played for Coventry, Liverpool and Sporting Lisbon and played in that WC game v Italy....doesn't mean he should even be considered in a combined XI.

He prob was better than Maybury (only just) but no way should his name be mentioned as a possible for the best Irish team ever (just like Maybury). I'd say a lot of people would have Donaghy in their worst Utd XI, he wouldn't even get in the first 50 players for a combined Ireland team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Phil Babb played for Coventry, Liverpool and Sporting Lisbon and played in that WC game v Italy....doesn't mean he should even be considered in a combined XI.

He prob was better than Maybury (only just) but no way should his name be mentioned as a possible for the best Irish team ever (just like Maybury). I'd say a lot of people would have Donaghy in their worst Utd XI, he wouldn't even get in the first 50 players for a combined Ireland team.
    I'm sorry but this is rubbish. Mal Donaghy was outstanding for Northern Ireland everytime I seen him play. He would definitely be in contention for a spot on an all-Ireland XI along with Staunton and Hughton. I think I'd pick Hughton ahead of the other two but they were all outstanding and only behind Irwin who would play on the other side because of the depth at left-back.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this is rubbish. Mal Donaghy was outstanding for Northern Ireland everytime I seen him play. He would definitely be in contention for a spot on an all-Ireland XI along with Staunton and Hughton. I think I'd pick Hughton ahead of the other two but they were all outstanding and only behind Irwin who would play on the other side because of the depth at left-back.
    Don't be sorry at all, that poster is talking rubbish.

I remember when Mal Donaghy signed for ManU and it was pretty underwhelming, he had one season there where he played a lot and they finished midtable, and then Lee Sharpe, Lee Martin and Clayton Blackmore kinda revolved in and out. He wasn't a bad player, was very solid at Luton...but wouldn't have him next or near a list of the greatest.

Advertisement