Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I <3 you guys and gals - now ruin my life.

• 06-01-2016 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

I can't believe after a few short weeks in this forum I've now 2 dungeon keeper type games I love and a Syndicate type game which I'm getting into. Really I just wasn't keeping up.

Now I need an MMO. I've Elite:Dangerous and Star Citizen already. I was a massive EQII head and ESO was actually, IMHO not bad! A Fallout MMO would have probably been my nirvana but alas :(

So what should I be keeping an eye on? Pretty much needs to be shiny and new and have a bit of depth, 2015 was pretty crap for MMOs, is 2016 looking better?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

More towards the RPG side or the arcadey side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

RPG definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

I'd get yourself over here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057205514

Always great bargains coming up and alot of freebies as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

WoW - it's cheap and highly addictive - though not as good as it was years ago it's a decent timesink and better with friends as are all mmo's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Warcraft, the old Republic and guild wars 2 are all mmos that I've enjoyed. There's also elder scrolls online i haven't played a lot of it, it feels a lot like skyrim online so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

LoTRO is probably a safe bet; plenty of lore you would recognize etc.

Thanks guys, really looking for something new though, maybe upcoming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

For once I've no suggestions! :eek:

i just lost interest in mmo's after 8 or so years in wow - the exceptions would be warthunder and world of tanks - but yeah, pay 2 win and a steep learning curve too - plus they arent rpg's at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Thanks guys, really looking for something new though, maybe upcoming?
    There are no real major MMOs coming though; the current way to do games is Free To Play with micro transactions (from skins to buy to win).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah free to pay games are on the rise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Have you played The Old Republic? Can't recommend a better RPG MMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Yeah, there's nothing major coming out or recently that I can think of. Maybe there's something in the free to play section on steam you might be interested in. All the major MMOs have been out awhile.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Have you played The Old Republic? Can't recommend a better RPG MMO

Briefly at launch, just couldn't get into it :(

actually i just thought of one - it's in alpha atm i think
    Warhammer: Eternal Crusade

Full launch is due sometime this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Guild Wars 2. Base game is free and probably the easiest MMO to get into in recent memory that you can do in short bursts without heavily investing into it time wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'll put down WoW as an insane timesink. Played it solidly for a good 7-8 years and if you want to waste your life it's the game to play.

I've personally gotten bored of it, but do stick my head in now and then. If you can find a good guild and doing the harder raiding with them it can be a lot of fun, but since they've made content considerably easier to access then even a new player can see all the main content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Guild Wars 2. No sub fee, buy once, play when you want with no need to fulfill a sub fee. Take time off if you want - you don't feel like you're wasting money.

It's also great fun - the combat is the best of any MMO I've played - most fluid and with a good learning curve, looks and sounds great - and has recently had it's first full expansion released. Getting Heart of Thorns gets you the base game with it - so it's insanely good value. It's recently introduced raids, previously had 5 man Fractals and Dungeons as well as World Events as end-game content.

The base game is free-to-play these days so I heartily recommend picking it up and giving it a try - you lose nothing if you don't like it - and my guess is you would like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Eve Online. There's no other game like it. Everything is player-driven.

You can be a footsoldier in the wars against other player groups, fighting battles involving anything from a handful of people to thousands.

You can be a trading mogul in the economy and never need to undock, playing the markets to amass a fortune.

You can be a freighter pilot, moving other people's assets to other parts of the universe for a fee, or a pirate hunting those freighters.

You could be an industrialist, manufacturing and selling ships and items for other people, or the miner who sells raw materials to the industrialist.

Or you can just be a ganker, killing defenseless miners for nothing more than a laugh. Or the guy who joins a corporation, rises in the ranks to position of power only to embezzle the corporation assets at the first opportunity.

Tbh it's the best game I've ever played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

friends dont let friends play mmo's

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm playing The Old Republic at the moment, and really enjoying it. It's barely an MMO the way i play it, and i just stick to playing through class and planet quests, and you easily stay ahead of the levelling curve. It's not difficult at all, as your companions are super powered, but from a story point of view, it's pretty much Knights of the Old Republic 3 (though a lite version).

Advertisement