Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REfund of SEPA DD for 24 months

Options
  • 06-01-2016 4:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have been going through my online statements and notice that Vodafone have been taking money out of my accountvia SEPA DD for about two years now. I never signed a new contract with them and also cancelled the last contract correctly.

They have acknowleged that the issue was one their side and they should not have been debiting my account at all.

On the SEPA DD mandate form it says (refund only possible within 8 weeks of the direct debit being paid)

Does this mean I will not be refunded all of the monies taken and just the monies from the previous 8 weeks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Afternoon Dev84,

Thank you for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie.

A request to refund a Direct Debit is only possible within an eight week period of the Direct Debit being paid. As the retailer has advised the issue was on their side, it would be necessary to seek a refund for previous debits with them directly.

In the meantime we would suggest that you complete the Cancel Direct Debit mandate form and also add the creditor to your Black List for Direct debits. This will ensure that no further debits are made to this company. For more information on this please see this link to our website https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/sepa/direct-debit-change-requests/

We hope this is resolved for you soon and apologies that we could not have helped more in this situation.

Thanks,
    Elaine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Hi Elaine,

Vodafone has advised that I can go through BOI for any refund owed from 8 weeks to 13 months.

How would I go about doing this? Any help would be great.

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi Dev84,

Thanks for your post.

As Elaine has mentioned, it's possible to request a refund going back an eight week period. For refunds later than this period, please request these directly with Vodafone.

If you need it, you can find the form to request a refund for a SEPA Direct Debit at the following link:
    https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/css075960-mss130675-sepa-dd-refund-form-edits-v2.pdf

Please fill in the details required and post it to the address that's included on the bottom of the form.

Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

This is incorrect information from the BOI Reps.  You can get a no questions asked refund from a bank within the 8 weeks limit.
    You can get 13 months refunded from a bank if the transaction is unauthorised.

Here is BOIs form for the refund: https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/b22340-mss130675-sepa-dd-refund-form.pdf

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Helen

Hi Tow,

We’re glad you noticed this and thanks for bringing this to our attention. Apologies for the incorrect information above. Just to confirm the link provided by Sarah is the most up to date form available to request a refund.

There are two options to request a refund of a Sepa Direct Debit.
    A. A refund of an authorised debit processed within the last 8 weeks.

B. A refund of an un-authorised transaction debited between 8 weeks and 13 months, these require investigation.

@Dev84 Option B refunds can take 30 days so in this case it may be quicker to contact Vodafone and see if they would consider transferring the funds directly back into your account rather than you having to wait the 30 days.

Thanks again for contacting us on Boards and if there is anything else we can help you with please don’t hesitate in contacting us again.

Helen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭garyskeepers

Hi.. 

Sorry for jumping in on this.. 

Does this mean you can only get the refund from the last 13 months if the payments were UN-AUTHORISED?

If I signed a mandate in 2011, and renewed a contract verbally since, does this mean that i have no signed mandate with a company under the SEPA agreement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Does this mean you can only get the refund from the last 13 months if the payments were UN-AUTHORISED?
    Correct (outside of the no-questions-asked 8 week period)
    If I signed a mandate in 2011, and renewed a contract verbally since, does this mean that i have no signed mandate with a company under the SEPA agreement ?
    No. Once a recurring mandate is signed, it is active until it is cancelled. And your contract is not bound by SEPA laws, a verbal extension of a contract can be perfectly legal

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Correct (outside of the no-questions-asked 8 week period)
    No. Once a recurring mandate is signed, it is active until it is cancelled. And your contract is not bound by SEPA laws, a verbal extension of a contract can be perfectly legal
    Thank you for the reply... 

What year did the SEPA laws begin ?

February 1st, 2014. However, legacy mandates (i.e. enacted before that deadline) do not operate under the same rules

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    February 1st, 2014. However, legacy mandates (i.e. enacted before that deadline) do not operate under the same rules
    ok,, im sory, im not very technical. 

So does that mean if the mandate was signed PHYSICALLY before feb 1st 2014 and only renewed verbally AFTER the law began, then the mandate doesnt stand ? and In fact i have no signed mandate?  thank you in advance

• Advertisement

So does that mean if the mandate was signed PHYSICALLY before feb 1st 2014 and only renewed verbally AFTER the law began, then the mandate doesnt stand ? and In fact i have no signed mandate?  thank you in advance
    No. Mandates are not "renewed". The mandate that you originally agreed upon is still in effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi garyskeepers,

Thanks for your posts here.

You can request a refund for a direct debit that has been processed within the last eight weeks (an authorised direct debit) and you can request a refund for an unauthorised direct debit that was processed within the last eight weeks to 13 months period as Helen has mentioned above.
    As 28064212 mentions, when a mandate is signed this means that a recurring payment will occur. In order to stop the payments, you will need to cancel the mandate.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Hi BOI,

Can you tell me the address to post the sepa dd refund froms to?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Dev84 wrote: »
    Hi BOI,

Can you tell me the address to post the sepa dd refund froms to?
    Thanks
    Good afternoon Dev,

Thank you for your post here on Boards.ie.

The address is:  SEPA DEBTOR SERVICES, P.O. BOX 365, DUBLIN 18, IRELAND. This can also be found at the bottom of the refund form.

If you have any other queries please let us know,

Thanks,

Tara C

Advertisement