Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6-pin to 8 pin power?

Options
  • 06-01-2016 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭

I ordered a new Sapphire R9 390 which should be arriving tomorrow. Afaik It requires 2 x 8 pin PCI-E power leads.

My current PSU (OCZ600MXSP-UK) has 2 x 6 pin PCI-E with 1 of them doubling as an 8 pin one, so effectively I have 1 x 8 pin, 1 x 6 pin.

I know there's adapters to make a 6 pin fit an 8 pin but the wattage may be lower. What are my options?

Realistically I'd like to be able to use it tomorrow without having to buy a brand new PSU, would a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter work? I'd be looking to pick up in maybe pc world Waterford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A quick google says maybe. If theyre both on separate rails I think we're ok but on a shared rail it'd be pushing it.

+3.3V@25A, +5V@25A,
    +12V1@25A, +12V2@25A, -12V@0.3A,
    +5VSB@2.5A

That works out at 300W per 12V rail. No way its actually doing that, but even if you can get 150W out of each side thats the card covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Does this tell you anything new?

4-Nameplate.jpg

Do you think I'd get away with just using the 8 pin & 6 pin or would you recommend getting a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter?

As far as I can see the adapters 2 extra slots are just blank anyway...

Ok, that says you should be good as they're stating the 12v rail can support 504W by itself, plenty for a 390 that in testing pulls 258w.

Thanks for your help ED E. I'll report back tomorrow to confirm it works.

Not having any joy :/

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    MongoNet here in true Boards fashion PM'ed me to tell me he had a spare adapter & I could have it it if I wanted it.

Thanks again man, it works perfectly, can now enjoy my 390 woo :D Really appreciate it, cheers! :cool:

Just to conclude the thread, looks like it worked?

ED E wrote: »
    Just to conclude the thread, looks like it worked?

It did yeah. Just needed the right 6 pin to 8 pin adapter like mentioned.

Thanks for your help :)

Advertisement