Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Brake Pads to EBC....

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Update.. They're grand :)

Back to one finger braking, they're quiet. They fit into the caliper perfect, which is not always the case with budget pads (in my experience).

With the winter weather I'm not pushing the bike too hard so I can't comment on brake fade.

But so far for that prices they're the dogs bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I ordered a 500g tub of red rubber grease from eBay for about €20 following recommendations from here.

I also ordered a front set of goldfren pads which worked out at €17.23 using parcel motel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I ordered a 500g tub of red rubber grease from eBay for about €20 following recommendations from here.

I also ordered a front set of goldfren pads which worked out at €17.23 using parcel motel.
    You can't go wrong with a tub of that stuff.
    Its great for any rubber stuff, keeps it all fresh and good.
    500g tub will last you for many moons, car calipers as well..

Can it be applied on the back of the pads and on the retaining pins?

Can it be applied on the back of the pads and on the retaining pins?
    No. Rubber grease is for the slider pins inside the rubber boot and internal seals in the caliper, plus the master cylinder seals and boots.
    Use it on the piston to lube it as it goes back in to the caliper.

For the Pads and caliper use Mintex Ceratec or Copper grease. Personally after using both the Ceratec is less messy and seems to be less harmful to rubber but I'd still be careful.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    No. Rubber grease is for the slider pins inside the rubber boot and internal seals in the caliper, plus the master cylinder seals and boots.
    Use it on the piston to lube it as it goes back in to the caliper.

For the Pads and caliper use Mintex Ceratec or Copper grease. Personally after using both the Ceratec is less messy and seems to be less harmful to rubber but I'd still be careful.

Good stuff. I have copper grease but it comes in spray can form. Absolutely no good for getting a neat job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Only need to put a smidge of the copper grease where the pads actually meet the prongs of the calipers (depending on bike) not a ton of it all over the pads....

Ceratec comes in a small tube, you can use a small paintbrush to paint it on for neatness.
    maybe 10mm wide and stiff bristled.
    Kids paintbrushes work well and you can cut the brush down to fit in a toolbox and use a small plastic bag around the end that is greasy.

Thanks cj. Halfords do a 500g tub of copper grease for about €11. I'll probably just get that if they don't stock ceratec.

Thanks cj. Halfords do a 500g tub of copper grease for about €11. I'll probably just get that if they don't stock ceratec.
    Most Motorfactors will have Ceratec. Small red tube.
    500g of Coppergrease will last longer than the Rubber grease!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

CJhaughey wrote: »
    you can cut the brush down to fit in a toolbox and use a small plastic bag around the end that is greasy.

O_o

Scrap the cap!

Just changed my front brake pads. They were Goldfren as suggested. I got 15,500km out of them. Not bad considering my bike has practically no engine braking. I have installed a set of Saito sinter now so ill see how they preform.

Advertisement