Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Economics jobs?

Options
  • 06-01-2016 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I have an MA in Economics and a BA in Economics and Maths from UCC. I have been working for two years in accountancy, but to be honest it doesn't seem like it's working for me. I would love to lecture or teach but my understanding is that I would need further education. I have already so many years done studying that I couldn't beare anymore. I'm situated in Kerry and unfortunately stuck here too. Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Is there any possibility of you travelling at all, and living in Dublin or London? There are economic consultancies which employ Economics grads there (as well as consultancy firms and banks of course) but I can't think of anything in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

I can't travel, my Mrs is due in July so fairly tied down here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I can't travel, my Mrs is due in July so fairly tied down here

To teach in an IT, would you need further education? As far as I know lecturers in IT's don't need Phd's anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

I asked that question in another thread, I have no idea! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

andrew wrote: »
    Is there any possibility of you travelling at all, and living in Dublin or London? There are economic consultancies which employ Economics grads there (as well as consultancy firms and banks of course) but I can't think of anything in Kerry.

Any consultancies in particular that you have in mind? I'm in a similar situation to OP

• Advertisement

Flipper22 wrote: »
    Any consultancies in particular that you have in mind? I'm in a similar situation to OP

In Ireland, I know a few people who work for Indecon. According to a quick google, DKM Economic consultants are also an economic consultancy firm but I know nothing about them; there may be a few more.

In London/the UK, I've a friend who works for Frontier economics (they have a Dublin office too), and another who works for Oxford economics; there are probably lots more if you google around.

These companies tend to do microeconomic stuff, mainly work for companies or governments in relation competition or setting prices.

You've also got the Irish Government Economics service, and the UK GES too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I asked that question in another thread, I have no idea! thanks

Uni = must have PhD, these days

IoT = desirable, but not essential.

Advertisement