Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confidence Trickster Gardiner Street

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I got the bus from Dublin down the the country a couple of years ago. A traveller and his missus and child got on. After a while the fella walks down the aisle sitting in beside a couple of people on their own to spin a story and wangle some easy money of which he got none. He then landed in beside me..blah blah blah..going to Waterford but no money to get to Kilmacthomas. I told him he was wasting his time and off he went.

The bus then stopped in Kilcullen and miraculously pulling money out of somewhere he got off to stock up on fizzy drinks, taytos and chocolate bars keeping the whole bus waiting in the process. They then went as far as Carlow when they all got off. Complete cock and bull story from start to finish
    and he clearly couldn’t care less who knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

The worst I’ve seen but probably best from the scammers perspective was T4 in Madrid…a distraught “Argentinian” telling people she had missed her flight and needed cash for another to Buenos Aires. I was with a colleague and
    we both told her no but were left amazed when within no more than 2 minutes she received cash from two different fellas after giving them her sob story.

I saw her again a few months later doing the same and told her to f off and early last year sitting by a window counting cash in a corner more than 3 years on from when I’d seen her first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

I used to often see a woman with an empty buggy on Wicklow Street looking for money for bread for her babies. She's a bit too old to pass herself off as having babies these days and I haven't seen her in a while.

I know who your talking about, she can also be found standing outside Brown Thomas too, has black hair. She has a colleague who can be found up at stephens green sprouting the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭getaroom

There was a guy wandering around Donnybrook at Christmas, crying, snottynose etc., saying that he needed urgent help, apparently he was invited to a party in Wanderers and was short a euro for a bottle of Dom Pérignon.

I think he was a chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

LynnGrace wrote: »
    The guy I encountered at Heuston, was very plausible, probably in his thirties, or thereabouts. I think it was a bus to Limerick, he claimed to need the twenty euro for. I just said No. He went on to approach others, but nobody entertained his request. I don't travel to Heuston now, but he could well be still there, trying it on.

Got done on Park Gate street well over ten years ago. Guy was in tears, on the phone, offered to put me onto his sick wife in Beaumont. Had just seen some sad miserable ****e in the IFI and he couldn't have got me at a better time.

A few weeks later he marched over to me with phone in hand and realised at the last second he'd tapped me up already and did a 180 turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

There's a lady that walks around the streets off Grafton St pitifully crying from doorways, "please help me". She's been around as long as I've been in Dublin (15 years+). Sometimes she has children with her (which sickens me). I'm know this is habitual scamming, but I've often wondered what sort of home she comes in from each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

If someone comes up to you like this, just interrupt whatever they're saying with "sorry, no spare change" or such, and keep walking. If they act aggressive, just laugh and say something like "sorry, not going to work..." - they'll realize pretty quickly they're wasting their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

Wonder if anyone else has encountered this young chap on Gardiner Street.

Around a month or so ago etc....

The exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks before Christmas, up on Berkley Street, near the Mater Hospital. It was definitely the same guy, your description is spot on. He spun me some story about his sister dying the day before, and he couldn't access his bank account through the ATM so he needed someone to get him cash, blah blah blah.

Like yourself I listened and said I couldn't help. And then he got p!ssed off, muttering something as he walked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I hate that, if I'm ever in real trouble and need help it's going to be more difficult because of people like him scamming.

I have had the "I've no money for a bus ticket home" guy once or twice. Well dressed, well spoken. Knowing full well it was a scam I offered to walk him to Busarus and buy home one, but apparently he needs to buy it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

"I just need €2 for a hostel" is the usual one I hear.

I once got some convoluted story from a man and a woman about how her father had thrown them both out of his house and she was pregnant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

hmmm wrote: »
    I hate that, if I'm ever in real trouble and need help it's going to be more difficult because of people like him scamming

This.

My mother was in town before Christmas and got separated from the people she was with. No mobile. Took an hour to get someone who would make a call for her.
    At that stage she was so distressed she couldn't remember any numbers.
    The guy who stopped for her googled my name & place of work so could call me & I called her friends

But I agree, far too many scanners out there.

Someone in genuine need will usually be asking for help, and not money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Someone in genuine need will usually be asking for help, and not money.

As my mother was, not looking for money just assistance. And she was also well dressed and polite.

Took an hour for someone to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

hardCopy wrote: »

I once got some convoluted story from a man and a woman about how her father had thrown them both out of his house and she was pregnant.

I was a euro short for my bus there just before christmas. So I walked. I couldnt imagine myself saying out loud to strangers "Can I have a euro or any change you have?".

Its a sad state of affairs, because if people werent bombarded with being asked for change all the time, Im sure someone would have been happy to help me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Was the guy a non national ?

Yes, he has no nationality... of any country in the world. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Wonder if anyone else has encountered this young chap on Gardiner Street.

Around a month or so ago I was walking home after work up Gardiner Street and a young lad, I'd say around 25ish, quite skinny, scruffy trainers and trackie bottoms, curly light brown/ginger hair, comes up behind me whimpering "Excuse me... excuse me".

So I turn around and this guy has got tears streaming down his eyes, snot coming out of his nose, seemingly distraught.
    He says his sister is about to die and he needs to get up to some hospital (can't remember which) and he needs some money to get up there. He tells me his name (which I've forgotten) and whips out his passport and insists he is genuine.

Unfortunately for him I had nothing on me at the time and couldn't give him anything, and when I explained I couldn't help him right now and that I sympathised and thought he was genuine, his attitude became extremely aggressive and began shouting obscenities about him "of course being f*****g genuine" and "he wouldn't effing make this up" etc etc.

So being the calm individual I am nowadays I told him to stop speaking to me in such a manner, and anyway eventually I walked away feeling a little wounded that I couldn't help him. I was almost going to bring him to my house to calm him down and give him a tenner but after his verbal assault I decided against.

Anyway fast forward to today and I'm working a late shift today so my 'lunch' hour ended at 5pm and I'm walking back down Gardiner Street after having a bite to eat at home. I notice a woman in a hurry trying to get into her brand new Mercedes with some young lad bent over tapping on the passenger side window, crying and trying to open the passenger side door, which the lady had managed to lock by getting inside and seated before he could.

Thinking not much of it except that it reminded me of that guy who stopped me recently, I carries on walking down Gardiner Street when I hear a whimpering "Excuse me... excuse me..." coming up behind me and I thought you have got to be kidding me...

So I turns around and there's the same guy, same tears rolling down his cheeks, same nasal mucus, and he begins with, "I really need some help...", and then when he realises we've met before, he says, "Oh do you remember me from another time?" - still in his whimpering traumatised voice.
    When I said you're damn right I remember you alright, he started saying his sister had died and before he could go on I interrupted him and instead of threatening to call the Gards I just told him I couldn't help him once again, and once again he became very aggressive.

I've just phoned Pearse Street and reported him and they're sending a car up now. Hope they catch the ****e and I wish I'd have memorised his name from last time!!

Word of warning to Dubliners!

I saw this piece of filth last night. Similar to the OP, I was approached previously by this guy who was sniffling and crying, saying "excuse me, excuse me..." and then going on about how his sister had passed away and he needed to get back to Cavan. He proceeded to show me a passport and actually offered me his phone in exchange for cash. Luckily, I hadn't been to an atm yet and had nothing on me to give him. Similar to the OP, he became quite frustrated and I actually began feeling quite guilty for not being able to help, I ended up walking off and he was throwing obscenities at me.

Yesterday I was browsing Boards and stumbled upon this thread. Immediately, I knew the guy the OP was talking about. Coincidentally, last night, my father, sister and I were visiting a sick relative in the Mater hospital. We were going in through the Eccles Street entrance, when I hear "excuse me, excuse me..." in a sniffling voice. I told my family to keep moving, he was nothing but a fake and scumbag. My father told me he'd seen the guy a few times before hassling people at their cars, he actually told me upon the second time of being approached by the guy, my father told him "f@ck you and your sister" which made me laugh. Again, as we walked on, he began shouting obscenities.

It was quite dark, so I couldn't see him completely clearly, but he was tall, lean, wearing one of those hunting hats with two floppy bits, which cover both ears, a black jacket and it looked like his eyes were pointing in different directions.

I was unable to call the Gardai at the time, as we needed to get into the Mater quickly, but make people aware of this guy if you can. He seems to be around the Gardiner Street, Dorset Street, Bolton Street, Mater Hospital area.

It's quite deplorable, doing this near a hospital where people who are emotionally vulnerable can be found. Most likely, if you've visited someone in there, who's quite ill or terminal, then there's a good chance you'll hand over money to this shyster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

It's easy to ignore people in the bustling city centre but when you're a little out of the way and someone is literally following you, intent on invading your personal space and won't stop until you acknowledge them, then it's a little more difficult.
    An aggressively toned FUCK OFF works for me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Clone

I encountered the same bloke as the OP in Smithfield. Yesterday, I was just out of work and in a rush.

He was looking for Taxi fare to get to Drogheda Our Lady of Lourdes hospital.
    Same thing he was offering all his worldly possesions to get there for is dying/dead sister.

As I was going to Connolly I offered to buy him a train ticket or bus ticket.
    He seemed to hesitate at this point but then produced some cash saying he got some money from other people and was just short and really wanted to get there quickly in a Taxi.

Unfortuantely for me I handed over a fiver :mad: . I had more on me but was still mulling things over in my head while he continually put pressure on me, more snivelling and cries for help.

If you encounter this guy, take his phone and passport!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭gerarda

'Excuse me, excuse me...! 'Your excused! /keeps walking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

boombang wrote: »
    There's a lady that walks around the streets off Grafton St pitifully crying from doorways, "please help me". She's been around as long as I've been in Dublin (15 years+). Sometimes she has children with her (which sickens me). I'm know this is habitual scamming, but I've often wondered what sort of home she comes in from each day.

I can't stand that woman. She's a traveller. She's been knocking around this area for ages (I work on those streets). I've been on the bus with her before, the 140 to Finglas, she counted out about 120 euro in coins, she was with her daughter. They got out at LIDL and were collected by more travellers in a van.
    I can't believe the Garda let her go in day in day out and scam people. If she's known to us surely the bloody authorities know who she is.
    She came up to me a while ago and I said "You live in Finglas don't you" and she got all defensive saying "I've kids to feed" etc. Her kids must be in their 20s by now!
    The robbing cow should be arrested any time she sets foot in the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

What is wrong with this country that drives people to behave like this?

armaghlad wrote: »
    What is wrong with this country that drives people to behave like this?

In fairness you get scammers everywhere. The thing that annoys me is that I have worked around Grafton st for years. I took 4 years off to go abroad and came back last year, and it's the same people begging/scamming. Professional begging seems to be a solid career choice here, tax free and no interventions from authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Speedsie wrote: »
    This.

My mother was in town before Christmas and got separated from the people she was with. No mobile. Took an hour to get someone who would make a call for her.
    The guy who stopped for her googled my name & place of work so could call me & I called her friends

Your mother should have gone into a Garda station. They'd let her use the phone no bother.
    hardCopy wrote: »

There was some **** who used to beg around O'Connel St bridge/Abbey St/Henry St a couple of years ago. Used to wear grunge clothing. Well spoken, about 30 years of age. Needed money for a hostel and food as he'd been mugged and his brother was coming to Dublin in the morning to take him home.

I hated the cnut, he used to know me to see as I worked on a contract in the city centre for 4 months and I'd bump into him twice a week. I pointed him out to a couple of mates once or twice. A woman I used to work with was conned by him once for €20, but even after she saw him a few more times and copped what he was up to she never had the courage to ask him for the cash back.

About 6 months later she saw him at an engagement party in Cork, nice suit, expensive shoes etc. So she approached him and asked him how work was, he attempted to move on, but she followed him around the house tyring to "chat" to him, eventually he fecked off. He knew a fair few people at the party, he told people he was "an artist in London" but seemed to disappear off the face of the earth after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

In fairness you get scammers everywhere. The thing that annoys me is that I have worked around Grafton st for years. I took 4 years off to go abroad and came back last year, and it's the same people begging/scamming. Professional begging seems to be a solid career choice here, tax free and no interventions from authorities.
    I get that but begging is different to scamming.

Most beggars I've come across literally sit there and ask for change. They're clearly homeless and aren't trying to deceive anyone.

Most beggars I've come across literally sit there and ask for change. They're clearly homeless and aren't trying to deceive anyone.

The traveller women mentioned a few times in this thread are getting right up in people's faces and aren't homeless or starving! Scamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

Speedsie wrote: »
    This.

Was in Dublin one time on Henry Street and phone went dead after getting split up from the other half.

Looked around and went into GameStop as thought they'd be the alright in there and quickest way to get a phone.

Asked the manager could I use the phone just to let someone know where I was, he looked for a second and then said 'Can't, it's against company policy'.

Was walking away when one of the other lads working there came out and let me use his iPhone to make the call.

Can understand ignoring the scammers on the street as I do it myself but not a quick call in the shop. Unless someone needs a new house phone, and knows what model it is and has the exact cradle for it at home:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The traveller women mentioned a few times in this thread are getting right up in people's faces and aren't homeless or starving! Scamming.

I know the lady you speak of. I work around the area. While I don't agree with what she does, I don't see how it's scamming. She's not pretending to be homeless or giving you any sort of story about how one of her family is in hospital etc....... she's asking you for change. This is not a scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Ah don't be so naive, if they were all clearly homeless, we'd have about 250,000 homeless in Dublin alone. Don't get me wrong some are but a tiny percentage only

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Reminds me of the guy working for some charity who was selling "2 euro scratchcards" on Grafton Street.

They were out in pairs and worked the same tactics as these scammers, invading your personal space and won't leave you alone untill you acknowledge them. Rather than a sob story these guys employed some fantastic spiel and a story about why you should buy the scratchcard. I was only 16 at the time and I'm not from Dublin so people approaching you in the street was a fairly alien thing for me so I gave him the 2 euro to make him piss off.

Was walking the same way the next day and he launched right back into his super enthusiastic story again untill he recognised me and said "Oh, I got you yesterday" Yeah, you did you absolute ****!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

I'm not from Dublin but it is a real eye opener when you see the amount of homeless on the streets all day and night on the bridges and at the doorsteps.

Not a great advertisement for Ireland when tourists see it around O'Connell street.

BTW there is so many chancers around with 'sob stories' and also the charity chuggers trying to get you to subscribe to their charity.

Advertisement