Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems installing Windows 10

Options
  • 06-01-2016 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi All

My son has build himself a PC and all has gone well until he tried to install OS Windows 10.

Spec: CPU Pentium G3258; Motherboard H81M-H; 9 GB RAM; WD 1 TB harddrive; 600W power supply.

He has checked and double checked the build to date and all appears to be in order.

When he starts to install, he first gets the option of 64 or 32 bit. Selects 64bit.
    Then "Loading Files" bar appears. It almost fills up and then the system reboots, taking him back to the start.

He has tinkered about with the BIOS to no avail. He did have a graphics card and DVD drive installed but uninstalled these, again, to no avail.

I've spoken to a local PC service company who said they would have a look at it for him, but he is trying to keep costs down and of course would really like to get the whole thing up and running himself.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

9 GB RAM ? Typo?

No expert, but if he has mixed RAM types might cause an issue. DDR2/3 etc although shouldn't get past post if that was case?

CPU is 64 Bit ?

IS he using USB to install if DVD drive unplugged? Could be a corrupt windows 10 image copied to USB?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Overdahill

thanks for reply. Forgive me i am not at all IT literate, and am just being fed info here!!:rolleyes:

RAM: 8GB Ballistix and 1GB unbranded. He has tried it with this 1GB removed but it doesnt make a difference

CPU is 64Bit; he has also tried installing the 32Bit version but no joy

New Windows 10 bought as a flashdrive, being installed through USB drive. Not corrupt

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I remember having difficulty installing W10 on an oldish desktop & laptop and finding that temporarily resetting the Language and Region settings (incl. keyboard layout, etc.) from Irish to US solved the problem (you'll have to reboot afterwards for the changes to take effect).

Sounds a bit like an old wives' tale, I know, but worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Obvious but did you try removing the install media and letting it boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

ED E wrote:
    Obvious but did you try removing the install media and letting it boot?

This.

A lot of people forget this part, when it installs and as it reboots you need to take the USB drive out to let the installation Continue or it will keep booting from the USB and you'll keep going back to the start.

• Advertisement

thanks peckerhead, ED E and Superg...have tried all of these suggestions, no joy at all.

Hes so fed up; but i guess this troubleshooting is the learning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Androidable

Don't know if you managed to install the windows 10 yet.

But anyway I had an issue where if I plugged the usb stick/flashdrive into a USB 3.0 port (The Blue One) it would install at all.
    So I plugged it in USB 2.0 port (The black one) and was able to install with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

superg wrote: »
    This.

A lot of people forget this part, when it installs and as it reboots you need to take the USB drive out to let the installation Continue or it will keep booting from the USB and you'll keep going back to the start.

Actually, it should continue as normal with the USB inserted, it's designed that way. From dozens of builds, I've never had to remove the install media - not saying that it may not be an issue once in a blue moon, but broadly speaking, you don't need to remove the media.

I would first look to validate the install files - maybe recreate the media, be it DVD or USB. As above, sometimes using a USB3 port can cause issues, make sure it's a USB2 port on the back of the motherboard.

Also, 9GB is bizarre, he should stick with the even 8GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

My last solution for you overdahill is to try install with just 1 stick of RAM installed in the first RAM Bank slot either 0 or 1 however they are marked. I vaguely remember reading this years ago when i had built my own machine. After installation you may install more RAM. Hope this helps!

*Edit as TerrorFirmer above suggests he should probably stick to 8GB, different RAM acts funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

If you want to see if the problem is with the hardware or install media, put ubuntu onto a different usb stick and see will that go into live mode or install. If that works then its a problem with the install media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

As an aside - I'd get rid of that unmatched stick. It's likely to cause problems down the road, and generally be more trouble than it's worth.

As for the install, make sure the OS drive and boot media are the only (storage) things attached. Windows likes to bitch about extra drives, even now. Also, sometimes boards can have problems if the OS drive isn't in SATA_0 (the first SATA slot, as the system sees it).

I'd also try recreating the boot drive (if he's using USB). I've had it happen that for whatever reason, it was just a bad copy, and re-doing it worked. I also find using the official MS tool seems to be more reliable than pointing a third-party tool to a self-downloaded disk image. (They should be identical, but hey, it's MS).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Don't know if you managed to install the windows 10 yet.

But anyway I had an issue where if I plugged the usb stick/flashdrive into a USB 3.0 port (The Blue One) it would install at all.
    So I plugged it in USB 2.0 port (The black one) and was able to install with no problems.

This. Exact same thing happened to me before.

Oh and for the love of god, take that unbranded 1gb stick of ram and throw it away :pac:

Might I suggest you say it to your son to read up a bit more on the subject of PC building. The fact that he attempted to mix and match two completely different sticks of ram suggests he isn't too well informed.

Actually, it should continue as normal with the USB inserted, it's designed that way. From dozens of builds, I've never had to remove the install media - not saying that it may not be an issue once in a blue moon, but broadly speaking, you don't need to remove the media.

I would first look to validate the install files - maybe recreate the media, be it DVD or USB. As above, sometimes using a USB3 port can cause issues, make sure it's a USB2 port on the back of the motherboard.

Also, 9GB is bizarre, he should stick with the even 8GB.

Must be a quirk with my mobo then cos I've had to do it everytime I've installed windows on it.

Hi all

thanks so much for all the advice.

He had tried most suggestions, and tried all, but no joy.

Luckily a friend who is quite techy agreed to call over and give him a hand. Brought a disc copy of Windows 10 which installed first try!! My son was then able to use his code from the copy he bought to register/validate...whatever it is you do. So he is up and running.

And he is taking on the advice to rid himself of the 1GB of RAM, and stick with the 8 unit.

TBH hes only 15 so i reckon hes done quite well really overall!! Learning a lot as he goes...might get him to build something for me when hes had a bit more experience with this!!

thanks again to all for the replies and suggestions. Great to be able to tap into a supportive community like this!

Advertisement