Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer repair and upgrading programmes??

Options
  • 06-01-2016 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to do a course that qualifies me to be able to fix and upgrade computers. I need an add-on course to my degree... might help with the job hunt/ I'd like to be able to fix a computer myself too.

I was looking into the COMPTIA+ course, but the content seemed very dated. Floppy disks were mentioned in one of the MCQ's. I have already completed my E.C.D.L.... about 10 years ago. Is there any other course I could do that might be a bit more advanced than this?

Could I just take the exam? Where do I take the exam?

What are the Pittman Institute like. There is a course in my local area offering a computer repair course but I feel I'm past a lot of the content, but at least I'd have the certificate.

*I'm not based in Dublin, but may be able to do an intense week/two week course depending on course dates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Do you want basic repairs or actual electronic skills, repairing individual components.

For just replacing stuff to get a PC/Laptop going again, or upgrading them, or building to sell, you don't need a course, follow the forum and have a look at the stuff we recommend, and try to figure what you'd do with the budget or situation, and see how close you are to one of our marks.

Getting a PC and building or tearing it down is the best way to get experience, and will give you all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

foxylaydee wrote: »
    I need an add-on course to my degree...

Whats your degree?

For a graduate the stuff at A+ level is kinda below your pay grade, you'd want an A+ plus 6-12 months experience in a job that will only pay 9-10€/hr for you to be useful in a repairs environment for a more serious job. Depending on what you're studying something like an N+ or CCNA might stand to you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭foxylaydee

My degree is not computer related at all. We use computers a lot at work so it might help job prospects if I could fix my own and colleagues computers. I don't know... but it could be worth a shot! Plus, an extra certificate might get some employee interested in me...

Digital solitude- I think I would be more interested in basic repairs for the moment anyway...

I'm not sure if I can afford to take up unpaid work experience for that length of time!

Advertisement