Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to take a 4.5 year old for a treat???

Options
  • 06-01-2016 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Looking for help from people who have kids!

I have a nephew who is 4.5 years old - I'd like to take him out somewhere on Sat afternoon and take him for a treat - no idea where to take him though! Took him to the cinema before but he didn't seem to follow what was happening!

Any ideas? Basically I have no idea as I don't have kids myself - don't want to ask his Mum(my sister) as I want this to be my surprise!

I am based in Cork!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Fota?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Fota?

Good suggestion but he goes there every week with his Mum and Dad - they live close by and have a yearly pass!

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

for a treat

if he likes activity and climbing you could look at some of the indoor play area's. Carrigtwohill have Go Safari, or near Carrigaline there is Kool Kidz, both are small enough you can keep an eye on him/interact with him unlike Monkey Maze in Glanmire or Supernova in Ballincollig which is probably better for older kids,

if he like's peace and quiet maybe a library, they are free to join now, so you could head to one and read some books together,

if he likes his food why not take him out to eat, some of them love feeling like "grown ups" or "big kids" at that age,

Ice skating is still on at mahon point you could try that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

My son is 5 and sometimes at the weekend we go on an 'outing' to the big library in Dun Laoghaire. We go on the bus (almost all his journeys are by car) and spend a good hour or more reading in the library. We then go to a cafe for lunch or cake/ice cream. He likes being a 'big' boy and choosing what he wants etc.

He might go regularly to the library with his parents but is there a big one in Cork city centre that you could take him to?

Swimming is good also, makes them very tired and hungry afterwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭I own an applewatch

The golden arches will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Literally anything a kid doesn't normally do is a treat for them so try bowling or an indoor playground

Anything that involves sweets will be a winner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My 3 year old loves the library because they have colours (same as at home but change of scene I suppose), followed by a scone and milk in a cafe - loves it :-)

Even the park with a new football or something, a kite (it is windy enough :)). He will just be glad of the one-to-one time that is all kids need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Trabolgan. I took my 4 year old there and we spent hours on that water slide.

Not sure if it's open at this time of year but kids love anything that's outside their norm.

Thanks folks for the replies!!

It is actually kind of tough to think of something original when his parents do pretty much all of the above all the time....He swims every Sat morning, his grandad takes him to the library, his Dad takes him to indoor playgrounds, etc.

I think the bowling could be something new different!

Hopefully he will start playing computer games soon and that could be our thing :)

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

I don't know Cork well, but are there any woods/hills near to you? You could bring him on a bear hunt - wrap up well, wellies on, grab a stick and let the imagination run wild. Or a gruffalo hunt (Look up the gruffalo book or film if you aren't familiar with it!). We go for walks with our girls and they love looking for bears and gruffalos... And the older one loves going for forest walks with one of her aunts, even though we also bring her sometimes - it's the different perspective of things that is the treat, not just the activity.

And of course afterwards, you could warm up with a hot chocolate and scone and replay all the adventures that you have had!

(Bring a spare change of clothes for him, just in case he gets wet and muddy!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'll endorse a gruffalo hunt. We've done that loads of times. Maybe not in a wet, wet January though

I don't know Cork well, but are there any woods/hills near to you? You could bring him on a bear hunt - wrap up well, wellies on, grab a stick and let the imagination run wild. Or a gruffalo hunt (Look up the gruffalo book or film if you aren't familiar with it!). We go for walks with our girls and they love looking for bears and gruffalos... And the older one loves going for forest walks with one of her aunts, even though we also bring her sometimes - it's the different perspective of things that is the treat, not just the activity.

And of course afterwards, you could warm up with a hot chocolate and scone and replay all the adventures that you have had!

(Bring a spare change of clothes for him, just in case he gets wet and muddy!!)

Sound - I'll have to look up what the hell a gruffalo hunt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

A mouse took a walk in the deep dark wood...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

A fox saw the mouse and the mouse looked good..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Where are you going to little brown mouse....

Love those books here!

You could check if he has the gruffalo books, if not get them in advance for his parents to read to him and then you literally go to a forest/ woods and walk searching for a gruffalo :)

Great idea will be doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My 4.5 year old loves the skating rink at Mahon point. Can you skate enough to bring him to that? They have seals and oenguins on the children's rink.

Or into the cite center for a go on the big wheel and a hot chocolate.

Bowling is great fun with that age if you get the inflatable things in the side, but it's more fun with their friends.

Farran woods has loads of deer, and a great playground.

He might like blackrock castle observatory science museum thing. The restaurant there is lovely for that age, colouring pencils provided and they Have a nice children's menu, including an icecream snowman.

If you have room for it, setting up a tent in your living room and pretending to be camping is mad fun too. Include a torch and you are the coolest uncle ever.

Advertisement