Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Ooops the particular one I was looking for seems to have been deleted, was he a mod here for a while :p
    Anyhow, sometimes they were hilarious
    But I'll always remember my co mod who worked for Met Eireann at the time saying he saw great promise in him and there you go years later he went on to study meteorology
    Awww shucks

Anyway with regards to matt's tweet,just goes to show doesn't it that stage two isnt a pipe dream yet

Weathercheck was how I ended up joining boards back in 2004 - my daughter was only a few months old at the time and I had to drive a few miles around Christmas to visit my mother but was concerned about the cold & snow in terms of driving conditions, a google search pointed me to a Weathercheck thread on boards and I joined to ask opinions on driving... still here just over 11 years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

km79 wrote: »
    BBC news graphic just showed a fair whack of snow over cork/ Kerry possibly limerick tonight !

Wet n windy here in West Limerick tonight.

There was frost earlier under clear skies but that isn't the case now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Could we add the word 'IN' to the post title and place it right before 'Significant'? While we certainly have lost the mild weather, what is upcoming is really fairly typical January weather. I do think patience still required for snow and ice lovers until February. At least the days will be longer to enjoy it when it arrives...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Watching for the dawn up here South Kerry mountains 400 asl. There were heavy falls of something in the night and earlier and here and on met ie there has been mention of show atop mountains... which is why I went out for supplies and sheer pleasure yesterday and gained both..knew from here it wa safe and " may" not be later in the week.. a big bag of coal in the car is worth three in the shop....added photos to the winter weather thread. It is bitterly cold this morning and I expect to be surrounded by snowy tops when light comes. The cats are going berserk which is a "good" sign!

Could we add the word 'IN' to the post title and place it right before 'Significant'? While we certainly have lost the mild weather, what is upcoming is really fairly typical January weather. I do think patience still required for snow and ice lovers until February. At least the days will be longer to enjoy it when it arrives...

It is very SIGNIFICANTLY cold. My feet and hands witness to that ;) And there has been snow atop the mountains and folk here love the speculation anyways.. Need something after the lat month.. I drove Beara etc in bright sun yesterday and the car was the only warm place..shivers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Graces7 wrote: »
    It is very SIGNIFICANTLY cold. My feet and hands witness to that ;) And there has been snow atop the mountains and folk here love the speculation anyways.. Need something after the lat month.. I drove Beara etc in bright sun yesterday and the car was the only warm place..shivers!

You will have snow mid to late next week or before too as will places like Donegal,Sligo,mayo,Roscommon Leitrim and NI some of which could be significant in places
    The rest of us further east and South east might be looking on in Envy

You will have snow mid to late next week or before too as will places like Donegal,Sligo,mayo,Roscommon Leitrim and NI some of which could be significant in places

Ah! I will sit on my mountain watching with my wee camera for you! My formerly feral cats are wrecking the house so something is in the air.....and I am sure that folk will come and dig us out is need be!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Met Eireann mention snow for monday

But snows really a nowcast thing

Id say well see snow one of the days next week surely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

For those of us in such places, these threads are very valuable. Even if what is hoped for by snow lovers does not arrive, still some of us above 200 - 300 feet will probably get some sort of wintry conditions and I am grateful that I now have extra fuel in and an big bad of spuds in case we get stuck. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Rtavn2521.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wow. They're just all over the place aren't they. Will be interesting to see what materialises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well that didn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very decent EC Ensemble mean this morning.

Reem1681.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Very decent EC Ensemble mean this morning.

Reem1681.gif

Could you elaborate a little perhaps?

teddybones wrote: »
    Could you elaborate a little perhaps?

Each time that ecm is run,several lines of results are done with slightly different start data
    If most of them give a similar result, it means the outcome is more certain
    The mean of the run,is obviously the average of all those lines(known as ensemble members) and can also be a good indication

The mean for the date above leaves the door open for all things east and north east and north
    Ie cold

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Thanks a million. So it is very much still game on then and anything could happen. Excellent stuff. Appreciate all the knowledge and expertise and experience on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Each time that ecm is run,several lines of results are done with slightly different start data
    If most of them give a similar result, it means the outcome is more certain
    The mean of the run,is obviously the average of all those lines(known as ensemble members) and can also be a good indication

The mean for the date above leaves the door open for all things east and north east and north
    Ie cold
    cheers for that,blooming clueless with these charts I am,just want bloody snow as I have 2 little maniacs going on about it constantly the past few weeks :D but yourself and a few others have helped explain quite a lot of late

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    I have 2 little maniacs going on about it constantly the past few weeks :D

So that makes 3 maniacs in your house :p

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

So that makes 3 maniacs in your house :p
    :D add the wife in we have a full house of nutters ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Alot of snow on Kippure and around the Dublin Wicklow mountains today.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

It seems even mt is struggling with the setup after the next few days of typical January weather. :confused:

FURTHER OUTLOOK ... Guidance also suggests that the main portion of the distant Azores low will then head north and try to find a milder route to Ireland but higher pressure wedged in between the two portions will stick around for much of Friday and Saturday before relenting a bit on Sunday. This would lead to a cold, dry spell at the end of the week with a gradual milder trend although quite gradual so that sharp frosts of -6 to -3 C might persist to Sunday with highs gaining a degree or two each day through the 5-9 C range. There could be a fair amount of sunshine but some cloud is likely in western regions from the distant lows well off to the west. This rather bland outcome would likely be followed by about a week of milder weather with occasional light rain and gusty south to southwest winds, it may sound like a return to December weather but it doesn't look that extreme -- and a second cold spell might then follow but not right away, probably after the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Alot of snow on Kippure and around the Dublin Wicklow mountains today.:D

Any chance of a photo?

Any chance of a photo?

Picture is crap cause i got a crap phone sorry

:)

DSC_0022cc.jpg
    free upload

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Working on it
    :)

DSC_0022cc.jpg
    free upload

Great photo thx. And great to know it's so close eeeeeeee

h850t850eulplpd.png
    how do you print screen

If that low is going in that direction it may pull down all that cold from the scandi countrys. See how it goes.:confused:

Don't ya just love the ECM,its 12z keeps the wintryness on track for the Northwest and west,so some of you over there are still on track next week for some snow especially inland and on high but not exclusively, its also telling shortwaves and lows that the Gfs wants to use to restore mild,to go get stuffed,
    I'm on my phone so cant post charts but if the Ecm has got it right,would you believe, the path we'd be on would be firmly on track for lots of wintry potential including the East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Don't ya just love the ECM,its 12z keeps the wintryness on track for the Northwest and west,so some of you over there are still on track next week for some snow especially inland and on high but not exclusively, its also telling shortwaves and lows that the Gfs wants to use to restore mild,to go get stuffed,
    I'm on my phone so cant post charts but if the Ecm has got it right,would you believe, the path we'd be on would be firmly on track for lots of wintry potential including the East

On your phone, copy location of the chart image and insert between [*img]*link here*[/*Img] on your boards reply. Remove all the '*'

You are all set to post images on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sleet falling here in carlow.

Nabber wrote: »
    On your phone, copy location of the chart image and insert between [*img]*link here*[/*Img] on your boards reply. Remove all the '*'

You are all set to post images on mobile.

Ah I know how to do it,but its just awkward with big fingers,working gloves on and a wet screen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Moderate rain-sleet mix here in south Laois. Currently 3.7c.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement