Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Divelment

jimbis wrote: »
    Not sure if it's the same pic but it's the same place :)

Yup same place & same pic I saw on Facebook...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

No snow in Sligo but perhaps Monday at some stage or Thursday

We need it this week.

I reckon the next weeks milder but could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sleet when I closed down around 4 pm last evening so will see what has come in the heavy showers during the night.. South Kerry 4oo asl and butterly or even bitterly cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Forecasting nightmare
    The U.S weather service is relying on the ecmwf ensemble mean plus human input and the met Eireann forecast at 755am this morning on radio one only went to tuesday which is very unusual, such is the complex pattern this week to
    Confidence stateside in models is below average and given some of our coldest options depend on what happens in the western Atlantic, then while its all to play for,we just don't know

Today's week ahead tv forecasts might be very generalised, the theme for the week now contains features like last nights with probably similar results and wintry showers up north and west,its after that,or the end of the week thats very uncertain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

My location is listed.

Yes, but it doesn't seem to exist. Google only brings up your board posts and Google maps can't find it. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Wow 33 pages about a non event this has to be a record
    Just normal January weather

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

The 'non event' was never predicted to start before mid week.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Read back nothing was mentioned for the past few days was aimed at next week:rolleyes:

I didn't realise people needed your permission to use this thread and others to report ninja snow whilst keeping you personally informed of whats up in a thread you haven't read
    Sorry about that,will try harder,will a twice daily pm suffice with a summary of threads its obvious you haven't read,we can probably get mt to phone you daily,but you had better ask him that yourself
    Are there any other forums you'd like that done on?
    Maybe simpler to read the threads lad without posting what you did

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just back from Cruagh Wood tobogganing, great fun!
    Kiddies got to make their first snowman too :)

374307.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Fascinating up here.South Kerry mountains 400 asl. A well defined snow line on the lower mountains at the back and behind them and to the west, higher peaks with thicker layers. My coal bags ( outside) were half frosted and whatever come now will be snow that sticks. Was looking back at photo from previous winters and very rare for snow to come much nearer. Riveted! Photos following; this next week will be a challenge for many of us with such low temperatures. furwk7.jpg Will be interesting in the days ahead to see what develops up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

image.jpeg

Snow on Dublin mountains:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Here's hoping for a continuation of the normal event until springtime...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

There will not be a significant snowfall in Ireland for about another 10 years the NZ weather man says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

When was the last time a foot of snow was on the ground in ireland? January '82 was the biggest in my memory

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Car99 wrote: »
    There will not be a significant snowfall in Ireland for about another 10 years the NZ weather man says.

He actually said something negative?

Anyway I'd give him about as much belief as if he issued a positive snow forecast. NONE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ah here, back to the period from like 1992 - 2007 when there was rarely any particular snowfall activity? Please don't be like this....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭mulbot

When was the last time a foot of snow was on the ground in ireland?

January 2010, december 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Well it's been 15 years since we had one here. Another 10 year stretch should be a doddle.

• Advertisement

mulbot wrote: »
    January 2010, december 2010

You beat me to it... those dates are engraved in ice on my heart..

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I'd rather take a forecast from the postman than him...just check back his past few ramblings over the years been very accurate eh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I didn't realise people needed your permission to use this thread and others to report ninja snow whilst keeping you personally informed of whats up in a thread you haven't read
    Sorry about that,will try harder,will a twice daily pm suffice with a summary of threads its obvious you haven't read,we can probably get mt to phone you daily,but you had better ask him that yourself
    Are there any other forums you'd like that done on?
    Maybe simpler to read the threads lad without posting what you did

Ouch touched a nerve
    You have assumed I haven't read the thread which is entirely untrue have followed it from start to now
    People were putting up charts which belonged in FI thread probably due to desperation to see some winter weather
    The fact we have 35 pages would would confirm that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I'm buying a snow plough.

Right,properly embedded in the post this time, I hope,(not sure about the radio music at the time :p) here's a video,from Aughavanagh in South Wicklow today
    Seriously nice snow \0/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Ouch touched a nerve
    You have assumed I haven't read the thread which is entirely untrue have followed it from start to now
    People were putting up charts which belonged in FI thread probably due to desperation to see some winter weather
    The fact we have 35 pages would would confirm that

If you've read the thread then you know that the cold spell was (and still is) due to start next week. Don't understand the non-event statement really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Ah here, back to the period from like 1992 - 2007 when there was rarely any particular snowfall activity? Please don't be like this....

so far its making a good go of it around here, I havent seen proper snow on the ground since Dec 25th 2010. Dustings and March snow that melts before noon just does not count! As for this winter so far still haven't seen a flake of snow or any sort of ground frost during daylight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Where are we in terms of charts today? The indicated snow storm conditions didn't remain on the chart runs but can I ask the experts where we are now in terms of ECM/GFS? I know it seems very non standard for a run into a weather system so more difficult to predict. I'm just wondering are we creeping towards actual stratospheric conditions that would lead to sea level snow in Ireland?

I had a great chat with my 86 year old grandfather today who told me all about 1947. It seems unimaginable!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sunsetbeachfan

How do I post photos? I took some nice snow photos today . Was up in three rock mountain from 12.20 until 2pm ish
    It is beautiful though I was not the only one with that great idea place was mobbed probably still is. Some virgin snow up there that I walked/jumped around it, snow balls were thrown and a snow man was made though he was small. I hope it stays and I'll continue going up the mountains in the next few days.
    4 degrees at 2pm according to car thermometer, wind chill factor, wrap up very warm if you want to chase snow like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The significant cold spell that we were expecting has now downgraded to about 24 hours of -6 uppers on the 12Z GFS before milder air pushes in from the west.

Those type of conditions are just normal January cold blips and far removed from the type of charts that caused this thread to be created.

Charts showing something interesting beyond that is just FI once again I'm afraid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement