Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Keep an eye out for Wednesday or Thursday. Possibility of snowfall just about anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

All looking very sloppy now. As maq said nothing unusual for January going by the current outputs. Still I'd be very happy to see some white gold during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

UKMO still looking decent, nice northerly airflow. GFS brings an end to the cold spell relatively quickly though (although it could be another mild outlier, let's see).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The significant cold spell that we were expecting has now downgraded to about 24 hours of -6 uppers on the 12Z GFS before milder air pushes in from the west.

Those type of conditions are just normal January cold blips and far removed from the type of charts that caused this thread to be created.

Charts showing something interesting beyond that is just FI once again I'm afraid.

The UKMO is sticking to cold but the GFS has given up. Huge differences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Keep an eye out for Wednesday or Thursday. Possibility of snowfall just about anywhere.

The one effing week Im abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

The madness has already started and there wasn't even snow or ice.
    A broke down Polo blocking one lane on the way up ticknock, a transit has got stuck in the one way system blocking all access onto ticknock hill and in the mayhen some mondeo's clutch has burnt out. The smell of it. Smells like... victory! Oh wait, failure.

PS what is GFS?

GFS has raging southwesterlies by the start of next week. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How do I post photos? .

You need at least 50 posts first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

PS what is GFS?

Global Forecast System

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

The significant cold spell that we were expecting has now downgraded to about 24 hours of -6 uppers on the 12Z GFS before milder air pushes in from the west.

Those type of conditions are just normal January cold blips and far removed from the type of charts that caused this thread to be created.

Charts showing something interesting beyond that is just FI once again I'm afraid.

The charts that started this thread in the first post which were looking at this Tuesday's weather look as though they'll verify almost exactly as was expected with -5C uppers and wintry showers beginning to affect the West and North. Through the rest of the week this risk extends across the country a bit more with the risk of a shallow low pressure crossing near us, however, a country-wide low level event does look quite unlikely and the inland and higher elevation locations will be much more favoured. After that the models are chopping and changing so much, who knows at this stage. That is not to say I am optimistic of further more pronounced cold developing but I think it is too early to call what will happen with ECM/UKMO extending the cold into the weekend and GFS shutting it down earlier.

Granted the one FI chart posted in the first post will almost definitely not come off as posted but I think any regular here knows that charts at T+240 are pure speculation and just for fun really. I have followed this thread since the beginning and I don't feel like it has been misleading to me. Maybe just from past experiences I expected changes to happen and pretty much ignored any longer range charts, but I feel like this is a lesson that everyone learns/has to learn by getting excited by these long range charts and then realising they are very rarely correct.

Sorry I ended up writing a bit more than I thought I would. I'm not having a go at you at all by the way these are just my personal thoughts on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Some muppet thought it would be a good idea to drive a van up to the Military Road in today's snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Aye as I said this morning, Wednesday night is another potential ninja snow possibility as a feature crossing the country
    Whatever about what may or may not happen after next weekend, this coming week we are north of the jetstream, we have polar air in the Atlantic and the feature will be crossing the country in the midst of a hard frost AT Night
    Now we saw what happened last night in less favourable conditions, what do you think might happen Wednesday night I ask you?

Also bear in mind that feature was not being talked about in the start of this thread which only goes to further underline how uncertain things are at the moment, so why would we be putting much sted in the options available for the following week?

Personally my take on whats going on has 2 conflicting gut feelings
    The first is,we are in a colder phase now,if we stay in it even a third as long as the flooding rut we've just came out of ,we will see more rain events with hill snow at times but the likelihood of a proper snow event increases simply because we're never too far from a feed of cold model speaking if ye get me?

The second is high pressure, you'll either love it or hate it but if you're into snow you won't like it if it hangs around near us whilst allowing events in the west Atlantic to get it together some where and that jet to buckle up too far north near us again
    That gfs cannot be ignored you see,but at some point the divergence between it and the rest will narrow sharply like the flick of a switch
    Hope it's the right switch
    None of us know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Rain and sleet mix in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dazzo

HighLine wrote: »
    Some muppet thought it would be a good idea to drive a van up to the Military Road in today's snow.

That is just beautiful! Thought i was in the Arctic there for a bit. thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

HighLine wrote: »

I saw a lot of idiots in rear wheel drives / no winter tyres , four wheel drives stuck as they were not running on winter tyres etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Around Military Road back of kippure today

IMAG0812.jpg

IMAG0814.jpg

IMAG0816.jpg

IMAG0818.jpg

IMAG0819.jpg

IMAG0821.jpg

IMAG0827.jpg

image hoster

ECM starts off well but has the high collapsing in over us after a few days. Still, would mean we could see some dry, chilly days and cold, frosty nights. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

ECM starts off well but has the high collapsing in over us after a few days. Still, would mean we could see some dry, chilly days and cold, frosty nights. :)

thatll do pig
    that will do
    :)

Quite a hard frost now in Arklow
    Currently 0.7c
    Back roads must be slippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

What happened since this thread was opened has made me question weather as an interest / hobby.
    The charts collapsed and what we now get is all a bit 'meh'

It happens every year where we get our hopes up only for it to be destroyed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Quite a hard frost now in Arklow
    Currently 0.7c
    Back roads must be slippy

Priory Road in Greystones is in a treacherous condition with Black Ice according to several reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

What happened since this thread was opened has made me question weather as an interest / hobby.

I feel a bit the same. It's annoying to spend time learning about how these charts work when over time you realise how fictional they are. In the lifetime of the weather forum, has there ever been a snow event that saw most people across the country see snow that showed up in FI?

I wonder did the 2010 snow show up far in advance?

I wonder did the 2010 snow show up far in advance?

All the threads for nov dec 2010 are still in the forum just go back a few hundred of the forums front-pages until you get to the threads from the period
    But yes loads of uncertainty then
    Remember we are analysing charts and 7 times out of 10 we are going to get stuff in them consistent with our normal climate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

All the threads for nov dec 2010 are still in the forum just go back a few hundred of the forums front-pages until you get to the threads from the period
    But yes loads of uncertainty then
    Remember we are analysing charts and 7 times out of 10 we are going to get stuff in them consistent with our normal climate

If I recall correctly the run up to the 2010 spell was the only time that a cold spell was modeled consistently from far in FI up until +0 hrs. I think GFS spotted it at +300 hours and showed in on (nearly) every run up until the start of the event. What we are going through now is very messy in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

patneve2 wrote: »
    If I recall correctly the run up to the 2010 spell was the only time that a cold spell was modeled consistently from far in FI up until +0 hrs. I think GFS spotted it at +300 hours and showed in on (nearly) every run up until the start of the event. What we are going through now is very messy in comparison.
    If I remember 2010 was well modeled even MT was bigging it up a few weeks before.

If I remember 2010 was well modeled even MT was bigging it up a few weeks before.

Mt,called it on his analogues
    First part in nov 2010 I think was appearing in various guises for a while but not for 3 weeks beforehand!
    2nd phase in dec would have flipped and flopped en route in models

The Nov bit I thought would never happen actually

It really does drain your energy and enthusiasm for the whole thing. They're all imperfect computer models, obviously, and are subject to plenty of errors, especially far out. But it seems almost cruel that synoptics like these continually show up, followed by cross model drama and then quiet disappearance/fading into normal weather (maybe a day or two of wintry showers if we're lucky).

It's almost like a mirage; luring snow lovers after months of mild dross, appearing tantalising and wonderful, but never getting any closer, and then just slowly fading away into nothingness. :mad:

It's been like this for many winters now, but at least after many experiences you learn to be cautious, prudent and patient. Above all don't get too emotionally caught up with what's happening. Just watch it unfold. It's what's great and interesting about Irish weather. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Such a great sight today to see snow capped mountains flying in to Dublin. Hope that's not the extent of it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It really does drain your energy and enthusiasm for the whole thing. They're all imperfect computer models, obviously, and are subject to plenty of errors, especially far out. But it seems almost cruel that synoptics like these continually show up, followed by cross model drama and then quiet disappearance/fading into normal weather (maybe a day or two of wintry showers if we're lucky).

It's almost like a mirage; luring snow lovers after months of mild dross, appearing tantalising and wonderful, but never getting any closer, and then just slowly fading away into nothingness. :mad:

It's been like this for many winters now, but at least after many experiences you learn to be cautious, prudent and patient. Above all don't get too emotionally caught up with what's happening. Just watch it unfold. It's what's great and interesting about Irish weather. :P

A very sensible and thought out post. A sentiment I fully endorse but have found difficulty in expressing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement