Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Not too cold here in West Limerick but the roads are lethal.

Was speaking with my postman whom I met on the rosd this morning. He confirmed that there didn't appear to be any gritting undertaken apart from national primary routes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Any further model updates or how are they developing and transitioning now??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mafra wrote: »

All over the place the changes between 0z and 6z on GFS are laughable, beyond the weekend is anyone's guess up to the weekend, cold with showers mainly over Western and Northern areas which will be mainly sleet at lower levels but Snow on hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Most pensioners I know have far more disposable income than the "well off young ones" you refer to. I take your point on our road chaos but I was encouraged to see 3 gritters on the motorway this morning.

Glad the gritters are out. I was referring to state pensioners not those with private pensions. You will see more of the more affluent ones than those of us who are cowering by our fires or abed to keep warm.

• Advertisement

Intensely cold and hostile. Wind chill adds to the effect. Sideways icy rain and most of the snow atop the mountains intact. If the icy rain turns to snow in these winds there will be terrible drifting. For me, trying to stay warm is the main work now and not an easy one. Came too near to being a hypothermia statistic in early 2010. But there we are! The gales and named storms were not cold like this. Just checked met ie and a snow sign poised above Kerry. 2 hwbs two cats and soup and boiling water atop the range...Life is grand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Graces7 wrote: »
    Glad the gritters are out. I was referring to state pensioners not those with private pensions. You will see more of the more affluent ones than those of us who are cowering by our fires or abed to keep warm.

I'm a pensioner and not affluent but the pension is more than enough to allow us keep warm without any cowering or resorting to the bed.

It's cooler today but hardly a deep freeze or anything near what we had in 2010.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no frost here last night, still nothing to show from this cold spell.

Came across this picture on an garda twitter .. n6ru49.jpg

Villain wrote: »
    All over the place the changes between 0z and 6z on GFS are laughable, beyond the weekend is anyone's guess up to the weekend, cold with showers mainly over Western and Northern areas which will be mainly sleet at lower levels but Snow on hills.

Good summing up of an unsettled situation ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Gonzo wrote: »
    no frost here last night, still nothing to show from this cold spell.

Any frost at all there yet? Car was frozen over in Dunboyne at 7pm on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Came across this picture on an garda twitter ..
    What hope is there if the cops are going to the mountains to do handbrakers...

Macy0161 wrote: »
    What hope is there if the cops are going to the mountains to do handbrakers...

You mean donuts? lol! Love it! Well if you look at that an garda twitter page i think they deserve a break ( no pun intended) and some fun..they do a grand job out there. Looking at that photo those with better eye than mine will maybe see the barriers at the back? red i think....

They love their snow as much as the rest of us..

Photo attached.

+ some others I took in January 2013. I forgot just how much snow we had.

Villain wrote: »

Thanks! Fingers crossed this nice crisp spell sticks around for a while.
    Just took a drive up mount Leinster and its had a really nice covering over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cork was a balmy 8 degrees at lunchtime.

Again just for fun.....

First time I've ever seen that icon beside Wednesday. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Blink and you'll miss it. Renewed risk of flooding on Sunday if the GFS is right.

gfs-2-144.png?12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Blink and you'll miss it. Renewed risk of flooding on Sunday if the GFS is right.
    The changes in one run at that time scale is huge

gfs6z_1.png.fa39dc811099a1f88eac591570c62d78.png
    GFS12z_1.png.8b50c72dd9fcf52237599f3fb6c261dc.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dublin airport TAF forecasting showers of Rain Snow (AKA sleet) tomorrow from 9am-1pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Dublin airport TAF forecasting showers of Rain Snow (AKA sleet) tomorrow from 9am-1pm.

At least a start of something for some parts of Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭John mac

24211175241_c6cb416ebd_c.jpgNephin snow by JOhn Mac, on Flickr
    well defined snowline from yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

You mean donuts?..
    No more like snownuts!

Seeing as no one has a clue what the weather is up to and we got a rip roaring frost last night I stocked up on coal. It can do what it likes now I'll be toasty warm and my kitchen cupboards are like a supply room year round.
    I'm not expecting snow but as no one knows better warm than cold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Any frost at all there yet? Car was frozen over in Dunboyne at 7pm on Saturday.

no daytime frost or snow this winter at all so far, this morning was damp and cloudy. Ive only seen frost once this winter at about 2am about 6 weeks ago and it was melted by 3am. So far this is the latest into the winter season I have ever seen without any snow or even frost on the ground! We've had plenty of bad winters but so far this one is a stand out bad winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭johndeere3350

Met seem to have downgraded the whole thing now anyway.
    Less sharp words in the forecast to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Monday and post Ecm,still not too wise on what things will be like this day week
    Snowmagedden is highly unlikely
    We'll probably have something bland by then as theres no real urgency in the atmosphere to mainline us some proper cold, but opportunities will arise if we can keep that jet south for as long as possible , can we?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

no daytime frost or snow this winter at all so far, this morning was damp and cloudy. Ive only seen frost once this winter at about 2am about 6 weeks ago and it was melted by 3am. So far this is the latest into the winter season I have ever seen without any snow or even frost on the ground! We've had plenty of bad winters but so far this one is a stand out bad winter.

No air frost here (in Dublin 16) either this winter (by winter, I mean from 1st December onwards). Even with the brief snow cover on Saturday evening, min. temp was 0.9c.

By this day last year, I had 8 air frosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

:eek: min was below -3c in Arklow this morning with a severe frost and we are near the sea!
    Only about the third this winter here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Having watched the model runs for the past week it now seems to me that this cold spell will be short lived as we get back into wet and windy weather from the weekend onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Yep they all seem to be pointing in the one direction this evening alright...More Atlantic pis$:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement