Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no frost again last night, damp and wet this morning and today has been sunny but that wind makes it feel like -10C!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Superb ukmo
    Looks bitter

Big big differences between GFS and UKMO at 144hrs

GFS

gfsnh-0-144.png?12

UKMO

UN144-21.GIF?12-17

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Very cold today with a few hail showers whacking off the windows at intervals. Overnight was so windy and haily it woke me up!

Clouds look snowy now - (if that's possible!)

Sligo 70m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Keeping an eye on the percip due early tomorrow. Anyone have the estimated time of arrival and temps on arrival?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Keeping an eye on the percip due early tomorrow. Anyone have the estimated time of arrival and temps on arrival?
    Euro4 has it as rain other than on high ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

An interesting take on things from Met Eireann for tomorrow!

"omorrow, Wednesday, will be mostly cloudy and cold, with showery outbreaks of rain and sleet, turning heavier and increasingly wintry in the afternoon and evening with a risk of thunder. It will be cold with highest temperatures of just 2 to 6 degrees in moderate to fresh southwest breezes."

The best is tomorrow night "with the odd snow flurry possible anywhere across the country. "

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

pad199207 wrote: »
    An interesting take on things from Met Eireann for tomorrow!

"omorrow, Wednesday, will be mostly cloudy and cold, with showery outbreaks of rain and sleet, turning heavier and increasingly wintry in the afternoon and evening with a risk of thunder. It will be cold with highest temperatures of just 2 to 6 degrees in moderate to fresh southwest breezes."

ThunderSneeew ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Is there anywhere else you can view the ukmo bar meteociel ...By that I mean in it's entirety like it used to be on that site..

One of the most frustrating charts that exists for Irish Snow Lovers

image.jpg

When the precip falls as rain over ireland and falls as snow over the uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Yeah we really need that cold air to move more west. Heart breaking to miss out by 100 ish miles

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Should be a fair amount of snow up around killikee, military road, the sally gap towards laragh. So don,t go up there in cars and vans......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

image.jpg

Yeah it's always the UK!!!! I remember back on the 18 January 2013, it was flooding rain here at Grange with more than 15mm in less than an hour whilst the UK had blizzards of snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

I have a funny feeling we may get a few surprises over the next few days :)

kittyn wrote: »
    I have a funny feeling we may get a few surprises over the next few days :)

Keep dreaming

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Keep dreaming

We shall see ....

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Keep dreaming
    The fountain of knowledge has spoken...

Well this cold spell sure hasn't been remarkable but Grange's mean temperature has dropped significantly. Now I'm only at 3.4c, -0.6c below the LTA.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

image.jpg

ive seen that situation crop up at least 20/30 times since the early 80s, sometimes it happens several times in one winter. They dont realise how good they have it when it comes to half decent winters and several heatwaves every summer.

Now they're saying the cold spell is expected to last until later next week? When will they next change this I wonder...

• Advertisement

UKMO is stubbornly wonderful again this evening, but the goodies always seems to be around +144. As much as I like the colder outlook from it , I'm a tad suspicious its pulling all our legs.

However small steps towards the UKMO from the GFS and I've a feeling the ECM will add to the continued model drama/chaos by siding with UKMO. We shall see, rolling out as we speak.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

UKMO is stubbornly wonderful again this evening, but the goodies always seems to be around +144. As much as I like the colder outlook from it , I'm a tad suspicious its pulling all our legs.

However small steps towards the UKMO from the GFS and I've a feeling the ECM will add to the continued model drama/chaos by siding with UKMO. We shall see, rolling out as we speak.....

ECM at 144 hrs closer to UKMO's view.

Recm1441.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Lol lol lol

:D:D:D:D:D

Will we be changing the title of this thread again?

(note to readers,don't put away your warm coats yet ok)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Now they're saying the cold spell is expected to last until later next week? When will they next change this I wonder...

Who is?

The funny dress show *cough* I mean, the six one news weather is on in a minute, let's see what this fancily dressed meteorologist has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

patneve2 wrote: »
    ECM at 144 hrs closer to UKMO's view.

Recm1441.gif

I'm totally confused at this stage!! What does this chart mean? Atlantic coming up against a cold block?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I'm totally confused at this stage!! What does this chart mean? Atlantic coming up against a cold block?

Its a sliding low going into France or the channel, meaning continuing the cold and increasing the chances of snowfall again at some point by hinting at a continuance of us being north of the jetstream streamif you get me?
    Of course further frames need to bring in cold air following that,I presume they don't, I haven't looked but at that stage they are very FI
    Forecasters aren't being helped here at all so lets see where we actually go from here though

A very solid backing of the UKMO from the ECM on the 12z this evening. Pretty thrilling stuff to be honest. Looking forward to the pub runs for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ah jesus the models are all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

A very solid backing of the UKMO from the ECM on the 12z this evening. Pretty thrilling stuff to be honest. Looking forward to the pub runs for once!
    Thrilling? How so please?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement