Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Subtle upgrades all day on the snow potential short term.
    From tomorrow afternoon snow should begin to fall readily on high ground on and off.
    Then Thursday should see sleet and snow showers developing widely across the North and West.
    I would expect lying snow by then for the North and West

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Subtle upgrades all day on the snow potential short term.
    From tomorrow afternoon snow should begin to fall readily on high ground on and off.
    Then Thursday should see sleet and snow showers developing widely across the North and West.
    I would expect lying snow by then for the North and West

And not only on high ground either, it seems, another ninja event in more populated areas at times on a bigger scale than Saturday evenings?

And people thought this thread unnecessary ???

Mafra wrote: »
    Thrilling? How so please?

Thrilling because the will it won't it isn't being answered whilst reliable European based models hint at potential for really cold,much more so than now outcomes if you understand?

Of course we could all end up disappointed but we don't know yet whether we will or not
    My own view is shaped on the longer we stay north of the jet,the more likely eventually something really wintry might come down to say how you doin', I'm looking at you Scandinavia, yes you?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Rain Today is suggesting light snow crossing the country over night. Can I presume this is inaccurate as I have not seen it mentioned anywhere here.

Time to roll out this again then,better than any app!

F8zI8LO.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

MissMoc wrote: »
    Rain Today is suggesting light snow crossing the country over night. Can I presume this is inaccurate as I have not seen it mentioned anywhere here.

Well this is tonights forecast from Met Eireann ....

"Later in the night cloud will thicken, bringing outbreaks of rain, sleet and possibly some hill snow to western and northwestern areas. Lowest temperatures of minus 2 to plus 1 degrees."

F8zI8LO.jpeg

Oh lord!! I will be up half the night so! Seems to hit the midlands over the next few hours

MissMoc wrote: »
    Oh lord!! I will be up half the night so! Seems to hit the midlands over the next few hours

Ok, just saw the pic now. Bed for me so :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Some cold rain and sleet passed through North Clare around an hour ago.
    The temperature went down in the car from 3 to 0 in a matter of seconds.
    But no snow yet.

I remember in 2010 walking to the poulnabrone dolmen,and seeing it covered in snow.

It rarely happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hill Snow is Met Eireann's way of communicating borderline snow, and with the added "sometimes at lower levels too" indicates how much a 50/50 it is over the next 36hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Thrilling because the will it won't it isn't being answered whilst reliable European based models hint at potential for really cold,much more so than now outcomes if you understand?

Of course we could all end up disappointed but we don't know yet whether we will or not
    My own view is shaped on the longer we stay north of the jet,the more likely eventually something really wintry might come down to say how you doin', I'm looking at you Scandinavia, yes you?
    Thanks again for the translation! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Danno wrote: »
    Hill Snow is Met Eireann's way of communicating borderline snow, and with the added "sometimes at lower levels too" indicates how much a 50/50 it is over the next 36hrs.

Well with tomorrow night, they give clear signs of snow possible anywhere : "TOMORROW NIGHT: Cold with frost and ice, in light to moderate northwest winds. Long dry spells with clear skies but some scattered showers too. A few of the showers will turn wintry, with the odd snow flurry possible anywhere across the country. Most of the showers will affect west and northwest coastal counties, where there is also the slight risk of thunder. Lowest temperatures of 0 to -2 degree Celsius, coldest across the north and east of the country. "

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

F8zI8LO.jpeg

Haha love it!! Haven't seen that one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

gfs-2-48.png?18

Is that map giving snow in the north coast of Spain?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

About time we get some ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Is that map giving snow in the north coast of Spain?

They get more snow there than we do, it is high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Carnacalla wrote: »

Well that article went up before 9pm and the ME website was updated just before midnight. No warnings or even mention of accumulations...Talk about whoever wrote that not checking their facts!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Padster90s wrote: »
    Well that article went up before 9pm and the ME website was updated just before midnight. No warnings or even mention of accumulations...Talk about whoever wrote that not checking their facts!

Check the date on that article, 2015 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Black ice all over Cork
    Roads are lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

Looks like an ECM upgrade for cold dry weather

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

GFS will be interesting later. The models over the last 24 hours have had the cold period extended. GFS still wants the cold pool hanging back over the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,918 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork on ice, literally, plenty of crashes, the hills are very dangerous. Glanmire in particular is like a sheet of ice in places, footpaths are worse than the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Cork on ice, literally, plenty of crashes, the hills are very dangerous. Glanmire in particular is like a sheet of ice in places, footpaths are worse than the roads.

https://twitter.com/Corks96FM?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

problems all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

GFS is still fundamentally at odds with the UKMO and ECM. The UKMO is now trending very cold potentially. Showing that a potential easterly flow could develop after 144 hours. ECM is more amplified again this morning too. With cold air hanging around for 2 or 3 days more but no easterly but not far off either. However while GFS has improved slightly (for those seeking a deepened cold spell) it's nowhere near as amplified as the other two but has been most consistent in its trend. Puzzling set up very very interesting output and I'm enjoying watching it evolve I have to say. Met Eireann morning forecast doesn't seem to have accounted for the lengthening of cold spell showing on the 0z ECM either. Wouldn't like to call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Sleet in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ARPEGE has downgraded snowfall potential for Ireland. Just high ground in the northwest and a dusting in a couple of spots south of that.

arpegeuk-45-102-0_enw1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ARPEGE has downgraded snowfall potential for Ireland. Just high ground in the northwest and a dusting in a couple of spots south of that.

Scotland/northern england looks like the place to be. Must get a flight there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Alternating between rain and heavy hail showers here in Galway city
    6.2mm since midnight, temp 3.7C, DP 3.1C

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement