Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Oneiric 3 wrote:
    Synoptic analysis for this day in 1987. C/O UK Met.

I remember that,the snow was very heavy in Dublin....
    Huge flakes,we were visiting my grandfather in hospital.

It was so consistent,I remember also the year after 1987 my Christmas spraoi album had a beautiful photo of a lampost in Dublin and the snow drifting past it.
    Epic proportions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Not the one I remember, but heres one of Ians from that week in jan 87 to give you a flavour
    Before that feature came yes there were a lot of snow showers in the east,so a lot of snow on the ground already

As usual at the time bbc forecasters didnt really mention the Republic and only threw a spare graphic on it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not the one I remember, but heres one of Ians from that week in jan 87 to give you a flavour
    Before that feature came yes there were a lot of snow showers in the east,so a lot of snow on the ground already

As usual at the time bbc forecasters didnt really mention the Republic and only threw a spare graphic on it

https://youtube/LB0IsvJlXVk

Not sure they mention us anymore either and they don't show temperatures for us. they only show rain or cloud/sun as the camera pans from mainland UK to Northern Ireland.

They used to mention and show all types of weather and temperatures for the Republic of Ireland during the last 5 or 6 years of their previous symbol based forecast which I thought was far better than their current forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Town 6:00pm.
    Temp 2.2c
    DP 0.2
    Moderate Rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

According to this we could be in for some snow tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

ECM not so keen on an undercut (although it nearly gets there), but keeps the High pressure over us, prolonging cold and dry weather for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just nipped back into say, that its Raining again in the North East

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Sleety, wet snow shower just passed Cashel, temp was 1.5C, DP of 0.4C.
    Currently 1.7C, DP 1.0C.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Snow pellets is a good description of the current percip in West Clare at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Snow pellets is a good description of the current percip in West Clare at the moment.

Whatever happened to "graupel" - is used to be all the rage here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ECM not so keen on an undercut (although it nearly gets there), but keeps the High pressure over us, prolonging cold and dry weather for the time being.

Yes, ECM is mostly dry until next Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

0.9 degrees in Galway the wet is turning to ice already on some surfaces

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If we got an easterly....currently look at all the convection over the Irish sea heading to Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yes, ECM is mostly dry until next Thursday.

Id rather that than wet slushy snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just started lightly snowing in whitechurch cork.

Edit. Now it's rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Snow in Mitchelstown according to the Cork weather page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I wonder where in the NW will get this snow?
    Where is it coming from?

I happen to hear Chris Hadfield on radio this morn & he said it just started to snow in Toronto & as i'd heard from a neighbour who's family is visiting in Canada & was shocked to find no snow on Christmas Day, whether it's the 1st time that its' happened?

Bizarrely enough Home Alone is on E4 tonight@8pm :rolleyes::):confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Come again Patty??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Nabber wrote: »
    Come again Patty??

I suppose it's better late than never on the snow, but Home Alone on TV now:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Its snowing here, ground white, 0.0C Dp -1.0

(S.E Sligo high ground, for those on their la de da phones!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Freezing hard here now in Cork
    Roads starting to sparkle already

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Heavy hail in Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Freezing hard here now in Cork
    Roads starting to sparkle already

Yeah cars frozen over in carrigtwohill

• Registered Users Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In the NW here, wondering are we really going to have between 2 and 8 cm of snow tonight?

Maybe they mean on high ground?

Doesn't seem any colder tonight than last 3 or 4 nights IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

NIMAN wrote: »
    In the NW here, wondering are we really going to have between 2 and 8 cm of snow tonight?

Maybe they mean on high ground?

Doesn't seem any colder tonight than last 3 or 4 nights IMHO

Tomorrow evening I'd say, rather than tonight.

16011418_1312.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Gonzo wrote: »
    Not sure they mention us anymore either and they don't show temperatures for us. they only show rain or cloud/sun as the camera pans from mainland UK to Northern Ireland.

They used to mention and show all types of weather and temperatures for the Republic of Ireland during the last 5 or 6 years of their previous symbol based forecast which I thought was far better than their current forecasts.

It's a bit silly isn't it.... I mean Ireland's weather forecast mentions the north ...it's a weather forecast over a landmass, so let's be as accurate as we can.
    I thought the British Isle forecast always included the republic in their broadcasts when it was a full on weather front/event etc crossing that couldn't be denied.
    If it was just general everyday slightly stormy we weren't mentioned....
    But I could be wrong cause what the hell would I know, I just dip in occasionally. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Its snowing here, ground white, 0.0C Dp -1.0

(S.E Sligo high ground, for those on their la de da phones!)

😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Tomorrow evening I'd say, rather than tonight.

Seems to be a small trough to the NW which could bear down on the NW tonight maybe? looks a bit on the diffluent side though so doubt it will have much impact away from the NW/W coastal strips it does decide to head this way.

374810.PNG

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

NMB wrote: »
    It's a bit silly isn't it.... I mean Ireland's weather forecast mentions the north ...it's a weather forecast over a landmass, so let's be as accurate as we can.
    I thought the British Isle forecast always included the republic in their broadcasts when it was a full on weather front/event etc crossing that couldn't be denied.
    If it was just general everyday slightly stormy we weren't mentioned....
    But I could be wrong cause what the hell would I know, I just dip in occasionally. :D

If they have to refer to a system/storm/rain crossing from the republic they call us 'the South-west approaches'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Carnacalla wrote: »
    19p.png

Just look at all that beautiful red over Scotland!

Nice colours alright, but where is Scotland? :p

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement