Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Nice colours alright, but where is Scotland? :p

After several edits, I can't seem to figure out where it disappears to!:D:confused::eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Moderate snow shower for about 10 minutes here. Slight covering too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Carnacalla wrote: »
    After several edits, I can't seem to figure out where it disappears to!:D:confused::eek::mad:

You're linking to the overlay, the map is a separate image underneath. You'd have to take a screenshot and crop it or use windows snipping tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's probably a transparent PNG file, which was overlaid on a background image landmass. So you're only saving the overlay image. Try using Snipping Tool in Windows, or the screenshot shortcut in OSX, to grab a snap of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Town. Now at 1.4c. DP-0.4. Although radar is showing precipitation there isn't anything at all. Yet. Calm also. Hardly a breeze.

• Advertisement

ogkqyq.png

Now look at all that beautiful snow over Scotland! Alot appearing over the inland south west now too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Found it hiding behind south coast of France. It's a awful fecker, turn your back for one minute and its up to mischief.

374812.PNG

New Moon

Found it hiding behind south coast of France. It's a awful fecker, turn your back for one minute and its up to mischief.

:D:D Wouldn't of thought they'd have that type of weather down there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

They finally had the balls to get their Independence! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

374812.PNG

:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

The road between corofin and ennistymon is getting white from heavy sleet...it's high enough here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nice frost here now, lovely design on the roof of the car. Showers are all dying out before they get here. Same old story with the showers from the Nw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The road between corofin and ennistymon is getting white from heavy sleet...it's high enough here

That's a lonely old road at the best of times. Wouldn't like to be out tonight there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Well the BBC have confirmed this is our coldest spell since March 2013 - I was correct

http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/35308198

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

NIMAN wrote: »
    In the NW here, wondering are we really going to have between 2 and 8 cm of snow tonight?

Maybe they mean on high ground?

Doesn't seem any colder tonight than last 3 or 4 nights IMHO

I know - "Doesn't seem any colder" .... so there has o be some other sensibility :D

Ah feck it still waiting for "thundrSneww" Na na na Na Na Naaaaa....

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well the BBC have confirmed this is our coldest spell since March 2013 - I was correct

http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/35308198

There can be differences in weather between the UK and Ireland you know :):).

Last year we got some snow here in West Clare, none here this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

There can be differences in weather between the UK and Ireland you know :):).

Indeed!

168-778UK_jya8.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looks likely some places at least will get some snow tonight.

A cold blast coming down after midnight.

Temp in Sligo in the 1c bracket.

Possibility of really severe frost by the weekend

Over snow fields below minus 5 possible

I knew once I said in the forecast contest thread that -3.8c would be the min that id be kicked in the nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Sleety mix verging on wet snow here in Cork. :P Didn't think we'd get anything tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Villain wrote: »

any idea how they know what type of precipitation is falling for apps like that? is it definable via radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Nice frost here now, lovely design on the roof of the car. Showers are all dying out before they get here. Same old story with the showers from the Nw.

Ditto here Red, ice patterns on the cars. Still squeezing the last few drops of rain from those showers here so they ain't worth missing out on. All they are doing is turning roads into a dangerous ice track.

New Moon

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    any idea how they know what type of precipitation is falling for apps like that? is it definable via radar?

Nope, defined by reported and estimated Temps.

Cork airport reports only light showers rain at 23:00, not sleet or snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Ditto here Red, ice patterns on the cars. Still squeezing the last few drops of rain from those showers here so they ain't worth missing out on. All they are doing is turning roads into a dangerous ice track.

I'll be on the road at 05:30, that should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

In recent years remember the difference between the NE and the rest of the country

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-22170773

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2259 update from Met Eireann

Cold tonight with a widespread frost and icy patches and minimum temperatures of zero to -2 degrees.
    Heavy wintry showers will occur also with some snow accumulations but it will continue mainly dry in the east.

Tomorrow

Thursday:
    Another cold day with icy patches in the morning and top afternoon temperatures of only 2 to 6 degrees with frost lingering in sheltered areas.
    There will be further hail, sleet and snow showers in the northwest; sunny spells elsewhere with just passing wintry showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I knew the Cork snow shield would fight back :D

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/687414542905831430

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2300 reports, 13 stations reporting 1 degree, certainly going to be slippy in places in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

No lamp post watching for me tonight in Dublin. Hope some of country wake up to snow in the morning !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Light snow in Cashel again, just a dusting on the roads. A few more showers tonight and we might have the first morning snow cover of the winter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement