Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

That's a lonely old road at the best of times. Wouldn't like to be out tonight there.

It's that one via Rath Church,still icy and freezing on the way home to Corofin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Found it hiding behind south coast of France. It's a awful fecker, turn your back for one minute and its up to mischief.

374812.PNG

And I wonder how many people would be only too delighted if the same sort of move could be done with the Isle of Man, given the howls of anguish we hear every time it gets in the way of some sensible snow for the East Coast. Looking at that change, it would be interesting to see what would happen here if Scotland was in the Med, especially with a north east wind. All the way from Scandinavia with nothing getting in the way till it hit here. That would get a few people's attention for sure.

Back to reality, if such a thing exists at the moment, I've just come in, and it seems as if the temperature on the east coast is higher now than it was a few hours ago, but that may be due to the wind having dropped from what it was earlier. It came close to sleet in the late afternoon, but it's clearer now, but so far, no frost to be seen.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cork airport reporting Sleet at 23:30. The snow barrier is just holding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Town 11:30. 1.1c. DP -0.5. Light drizzle. Calm. 124ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dublin airport reporting 1c and light showers rain snow at 1:30am, any reports of snow from the Dublin region?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Dublin airport reporting 1c and light showers rain snow at 1:30am, any reports of snow from the Dublin region?

Nothing here in D6, I've been checking out the window every 5 minutes since Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Temp slowly rising here in the north west :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Temp slowly rising here in the north west :(

If there is no chance of snow, it's no harm. The roads looked lethal a while ago with ice everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Was snowing at Dublin Airport while ago. Saw a video of it on fb

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Carnacalla wrote: »

Nothing to report here, S Dublin 260m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Looking at raintoday it looks like there's are big working its way down from the north?..... Any reports? Rain, snow, thundersnowpocalyps? :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very dry looking radar this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

From the silence of this thread I assume it's a green morning most places.
    Donegal Town 7:30am
    -0.2c. DP -1.5
    Light breeze
    Car frozen solid.
    No precipitation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ECM and GFS now both kill off the cold spell on Sunday/Monday with milder air and rain returning.

Snowfall potential exists for about the next 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Looks like a bad combination for roads in Kerry / west cork for Saturday morning.

ozE51eE.jpg?1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

N/A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Again barely any frost today in Naas. Just the light layer where last night's rain froze. Pretty meh cold snap for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

2 degrees this morning at 7.45 when leaving for work, footpaths were very icy outside my house yesterday but definitely not as bad this morning. Listening to our local radio you would swear the area of Cork City where I live was lethal with ice - which just isn't true. I live on a hill and it was fine, not a bother - most of the roads are main roads and have been gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    2 degrees this morning at 7.45 when leaving for work, footpaths were very icy outside my house yesterday but definitely not as bad this morning. Listening to our local radio you would swear the area of Cork City where I live was lethal with ice - which just isn't true. I live on a hill and it was fine, not a bother - most of the roads are main roads and have been gritted.

Worse where I am this morning that yesterday! a lot of accidents as well around the place. not saying its worse than yesterday but caution is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Worse where I am this morning that yesterday! a lot of accidents as well around the place. not saying its worse than yesterday but caution is needed.

Oh, I'd believe where you are is pretty bad alright munsterlegend but you are in north cork county; most places in the city are not bad at all, except for maybe Glanmire....but is that even seen as city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh, I'd believe where you are is pretty bad alright munsterlegend but you are in north cork county; most places in the city are not bad at all, except for maybe Glanmire....but is that even seen as city?

seems a lot of reports on the southside? douglas/rochestown?glanmire is always bad anyway - hills, housing estates etc. should thaw pretty quickly anyway as temps well above freezing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Was freezing hard when I went to bed last night so I got up half an hour earlier to go to work and not a bit of frost or ice to be seen.

Carlow area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

seems a lot of reports on the southside? douglas/rochestown?glanmire is always bad anyway - hills, housing estates etc. should thaw pretty quickly anyway as temps well above freezing now.

It's brutal. Few over turned cars this morning. Absolutely hazardous out around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

First proper frost of this winter in Galway City this morning. Most of the roads were gritted thankfully, but it was quite slippy in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Worse than yesterday here in Louth,Back roads like glass.N roads not too bad but I still wouldn't fly down any road.Hate slippery roads

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Snow showers should kick off in the west/northwest in the early afternoon, peaking later this evening/tonight. Heaviest in the north & on high ground. The extent to which the showers will survive before fizzling is hard to know and you'd be better off watching the radar than looking at the models at that point.

nmm_uk1-45-32-4.png?14-06

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nothing really at all this morning in South Dublin. Relatively cold, but I've experienced much colder during most winters. Roads a little damp, but no ice or frost anywhere.

Very disappointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Its not really a cold spell in fairness. Can still run in shorts outside without freezing.

I would say its even warm for Jan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Car needed to be de-iced this morning @ coastal Meath. Similar enough to yesterday. Grass soaked though and not frozen. Funny one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

ECM and GFS now both kill off the cold spell on Sunday/Monday with milder air and rain returning.

Evelyn's forecast this morning, usually based on that 00z says the outlook is very uncertain
    I presume theres not enough ensemble support for any option in her opinion to be saying that?
    Her words were,stay tuned for updates

Meanwhile, I'd expect showers to be more and more of snow as the day goes on across north Connacht, Ulster and north Leinster, not ruling out some reaching Dublin
    Dryer towards Munster but not completely

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement