Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Carnacalla wrote: »
    There can be differences in weather between the UK and Ireland you know :):).

There definitely is a difference between UK and Ireland climate,esp the south east of the UK
    UK have hotter drier Summers and colder drier winters than Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just not seeing the potential for the amount of snow Met E are predicting in the NW. Some accumulations on high ground does not warrant an Orange warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Its not really a cold spell in fairness. Can still run in shorts outside without freezing.

I would say its even warm for Jan

Where are you? I can barely breathe outside for the cold and my hands are turning purple.... shivers...only warm place is bed with 2 hwbs and a few cats. But then nearing 80 yrs old makes a difference. Sun is out here and a glory of snow atop the mountains. pretty day. May be back later, depends on a few things! stay safe and warm ...

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Just not seeing the potential for the amount of snow Met E are predicting in the NW. Some accumulations on high ground does not warrant an Orange warning.

Maybe a boardsie exile with stars in his eyes.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Graces7 wrote: »
    Where are you? I can barely breathe outside for the cold and my hands are turning purple.... shivers...only warm place is bed with 2 hwbs and a few cats. But then nearing 80 yrs old makes a difference. Sun is out here and a glory of snow atop the mountains. pretty day. May be back later, depends on a few things! stay safe and warm ...

Dublin.

But in fairness your on a mountain and what your experiencing now is normal for most Jan and not exceptional?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

West Galway. Icy roads this morning but a nice bright calm winter's morning all the same. The car was saying 1C.
    It felt way more snowy and chilly yesterday. I am not confident of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Evelyn's forecast this morning, usually based on that 00z says the outlook is very uncertain
    I presume theres not enough ensemble support for any option in her opinion to be saying that?
    Her words were,stay tuned for updates

Meanwhile, I'd expect showers to be more and more of snow as the day goes on across north Connacht, Ulster and north Leinster, not ruling out some reaching Dublin
    Dryer towards Munster but not completely

I find this a good website for predicting rainfall. not sure what model it uses. not expecting too much in munster unless some showers merge

http://www.dmi.dk/vejr/til-lands/vejrkort/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its a lovely morning up here in the NW, got up bit earlier this morning as I was sure the car would need deiced, it didn't, perfectly clear. Roads aroind me were frost free too, although I am sure there were some frosty patches somewhere in donegal

Predicting snow for later this afternoon, will see what happens then. It doesn't appear any colder out this morning than it has for the rest of the week.

Orange warning my ass! I think they are getting too free and easy with these warnings, covering themselves perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Frostiest morning of the winter so far in Galway and also alot of ice...

Any reports on those showers coming in from the west are they falling as snow yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Just now... Hope it gets topped up later today! 😜

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

seamus wrote: »
    Nothing really at all this morning in South Dublin. Relatively cold, but I've experienced much colder during most winters. Roads a little damp, but no ice or frost anywhere.

Very disappointing :(

North West Dublin has a decent bit of ice. Cars and roads in the shade are stil frozen over at the moment. And this morning my car doors were frozen shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

NIMAN wrote: »
    Orange warning my ass! I think they are getting too free and easy with these warnings, covering themselves perhaps?

Hmmm. I'd take their warnings seriously. But on the other hand snow is really difficult to accurately forecast. Time will tell I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Stunning morning with clear blue skies in south Carlow. Bit of frost and ice but not a hard one.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Lovely morning in South Dublin. No frost but lovely icy feel during walk with the dogs. Sunshine now in sandyford and blue skies but the wind chill (more like breeze chill) making it feel colder than the 3 degrees it is. Hopefully the lower temps will stamp out some of these bugs and colds doing the rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Frostiest morning of the winter so far in Galway and also alot of ice...

Any reports on those showers coming in from the west are they falling as snow yet

Some roads around my area were not gritted, very slippy around parts of Galway city too, saw a couple of people spin.
    Check the radar on Netweather and select weather type, that should give a good idea of what's falling if not completely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dun Laoghaire, Temp 3.5C, wind chill -0.5C, DP -1.2. The sky is clear but some showers would be welcome with those numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

6pm on the latest EURO4

16011418_2_1406.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Steve F wrote: »
    Carnacalla wrote: »
    There can be differences in weather between the UK and Ireland you know :):).

There definitely is a difference between UK and Ireland climate,esp the south east of the UK
    UK have hotter drier Summers and colder drier winters than Ireland

The South of England gets much milder winters than Ireland especially the Northern part...you are mistaken there. The Summers in the South of the UK especially the south east are warmer than here but only in the south east.

Southern England has generally very mild winters....as for London it gets practically zero snow and certainly less than Dublin or Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

6pm on the latest EURO4

Why is there a patch of blue in the moddle of the pink over my house :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

6pm on the latest EURO4

That looks exciting, thanks For sharing Maquiladora

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: When quoting posts, with charts or pictures, there is no need to include the chart/picture...it just clogs the forum/thread up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Mod Note: When quoting posts, with charts or pictures, there is no need to include the chart/picture...it just clogs the forum/thread up!

The blue patch just angered me so much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LillyO

We had a bright, crisp morning here in east Donegal. There was some black ice but yesterday morning was a lot colder.
    Sky is now very dark and...we shall see!

Dublin.

But in fairness your on a mountain and what your experiencing now is normal for most Jan and not exceptional?

This is my 4th winter here and it has been exceptionally cold this week, far more so than I have ever known even up here. So yes exceptional. Windchill is a great factor. Also we have had so little sun and that makes a difference, Also a bad night as my new feral rescue cat is in season and battered at the door to get out all night, bless her! Cannot catch her to get her spayed.... she has the meanest left hook ever... so spring must be on the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes.

I drove on N17 from Sligo to Galway from 6-8am today - no snow at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Showers just seem to die just before they reach Galway as usual.... if they were rain showers they would feckin be getting bigger as they reached here:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LillyO

We had a bright, crisp morning here in east Donegal. There was some black ice but yesterday morning was a lot colder.
    Sky is now very dark and...we shall see!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Showers just seem to die just before they reach Galway as usual.... if they were rain showers they would feckin be getting bigger as they reached here:pac:

need some wind to blow them further inland but of course that only happens with the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It's brutal. Few over turned cars this morning. Absolutely hazardous out around the city.

Im with leahyl on this. Red fm make it sound like the day after tomorrow in Cork City. As a result on gritted dual carriageways you have people doing 20kph top speed. Its fair enough to be careful where roads arent gritted but thats ridiculous.

As an aside I live in an elevated suburb in a cul de sac at the bottom of a small steep hill all of which is north facing. Usually any frost makes it v hard to get out in your car. Alas I have had no problems the last two mornings whilst areas at lower elevations which are south facing seem disproportionately hit by black ice. Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Great big lump of rain, sleet and snow is moving south west into the north midlands from Donegal Bay. It's holding itself very well so far and the leading edge has passed Carrick On Shannon.

It's current track would bring it to Dublin but whether it gets that far is a different matter however it does tie in with the UK Met Office short range forecast.

Hmmmmm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement