Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

highdef wrote: »

It's current track would bring it to Dublin but whether it gets that far is a different matter however it does tie in with the UK Met Office short range forecast.

Hmmmmm

Lets hope. Its bright and mostly clear in Dublin 2 at the moment. I'd love to see some snow falling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Town. 12noon
    0.1c
    DP-1.6
    Very light drizzle

😔

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Great big lump of rain, sleet and snow is moving south west into the north midlands from Donegal Bay. It's holding itself very well so far and the leading edge has passed Carrick On Shannon.

That may be a false return, or, ppn not reaching the ground?

There are no reports on here of ppn...or...no reports of ppn from Finner or Sligo AP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

irish1967 wrote: »
    Donegal Town. 12noon
    0.1c
    DP-1.6
    Very light drizzle

😔

Wow, it's amazing that you are still experiencing liquid precipitation with temp and DP you have. I'd imagine temperature and DP is higher slightly higher up, as you are adjacent to the warm Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

DOCARCH wrote: »

There are no reports on here of ppn...or...no reports of ppn from Finner or Sligo AP?

I'm a few miles north of Finner on the coast, heavy sleet here for the last half hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lameusername

In the space of two hours the weather doo-dah has gone from snow all afternoon to tedious light rain till April.
    Bleedin lie-phones.

Also, the main part of the lump of precip passed just to the south of Finner. Would have expected some precip reports from Sligo AP though.
    For Knock, the majority of the precip passed just a few km to the north and only now is precip falling....according to the radar anyway.

Been tracking the radar and it does not appear to be false returns. Precip not reaching the ground is a possibility however there is decent enough cloud height as well so I think it's the real deal.

Leading edge is just arriving in Longford and the backend has just passed the north coast of Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 anluainnru

Just turned from rain into snow here in Carrick-on-Shannon in the last 10 mins. Too wet to stick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Snowing heavily now in South Sligo - in the twenty odd minutes it took to drive from Ballymote the roads are white and quite slippy -

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Precip has arrived in West roscommon as rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gone very dark here and can hear something on the window...South Kerry 400 asl (ft) These were taken today thinking probably the last snow images from here... but reading the list we may get more yet? 2rwnk87.jpg2yua9uu.jpg The first is to the north, the second to the west. All have now vanished behind a white veil..

pic_one.jpg

Not the best photo - seems to have brightened up a little now - but more snow on the ground than when this was taken over an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Pretzill wrote: »
    Snowing heavily now in South Sligo - in the twenty odd minutes it took to drive from Ballymote the roads are white and quite slippy -

Same here in NW Donegal, skies have gotten grey very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo town is just getting rain mixed with freezing rain

Maybe a bit will come before midnight.

Coast and nw blowing in off sea kills it while inland places like tubber collooney ballymote n geevagh are far more favoured

Not bad at all considering that the Ballymote to Sligo road is a little under 100m.....I am presuming that was your route though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I had my fingers crossed for lots of snow here in Dublin, but nope nothing but cold :(

Seeing all the snowy pics is making me wish harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowing wet snow here now in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LillyO

Passing rain showers in east Doneagl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

It's gotten dark and the heavens have opened in Longford Town, white fluffy snow coming down heavy now

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

LillyO wrote: »
    Passing rain showers in east Doneagl

Just starting to turn to snow now, coming from West direction

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Its been snowing here since about 11.45 am, still falling, good "blobs" on radar! about an inch and a half ish on the ground. 0.1 C dp -1.6 C

(S.E. Sligo high ground)

Not bad at all considering that the Ballymote to Sligo road is a little under 100m.....I am presuming that was your route though!

No I was going the other way towards the bricklieves - I'm at about 70m - But it was heavy in Ballymote too -

IMG_20160114_135022.jpg

looks like only about a cm overall though.
    pic_2.jpg
    Still nice to see though

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Snowing rather heavily in north west Cork, near the Kerry border, and has been for quite a while

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another average January day here, second frost of the winter last night, again this was melted by 10am.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looking at the trajectory of the first 'blob', it looks like it could pass just to the south of Dublin...if it even makes it this far east?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Just outside ballymote Sligo, about 110m ASL

IMG_20160114_141233.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Has the met e mobile radar changed its colours?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Steve F wrote: »

Southern England has generally very mild winters....as for London it gets practically zero snow and certainly less than Dublin or Belfast.

i am all to aware of that:( reading about the heavy snow at home now, meanwhile just a cold breeze with spots of rain here. we need an easterly or north easterly to get snow here. enjoy the snow ye feckers:p:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Looking at the trajectory of the first 'blob', it looks like it could pass just to the south of Dublin...if it even makes it this far east?

Damnit, c'mon snow Dublin is (n)ice - no really

:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement