Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Moderate to heavy snow now falling Donegal Town at sea level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Very lucky to be abroad at the moment (Northern Denmark). A nice slow moving band of heavy snow showers dumped +10cm of snow last night. Powdery snow. Now -2 degrees. Funny how they don't even give out weather warnings here for these type of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

patneve2 wrote: »
    Very lucky to be abroad at the moment (Northern Denmark). A nice slow moving band of heavy snow showers dumped +10cm of snow last night. Powdery snow. Now -2 degrees. Funny how they don't even give out weather warnings here for these type of events.

Well they wouldnt as this is the norm. here it is rare. They can deal with it and are as used to it as we are to rain. Would be rare if they did not get snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Fairly heavy here in mullingar.. Sticking too

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

marno21 wrote: »
    Snowing rather heavily in north west Cork, near the Kerry border, and has been for quite a while

😨 so much for the cork snow shield. Ground here in sandyford Dublin 18 is perfect for snow ............. c'mon snow!!

• Advertisement

Great to hear about all those who have some of the white stuff (lucky beggars!). We know it mightn't get as far as Dublin (it will, it will ðŸ˜) but at least it fuels the excitement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Well a snow shower has reached Galway and its ((irish snow) more sleet than anything else:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Great to hear about all those who have some of the white stuff (lucky beggars!). We know it mightn't get as far as Dublin (it will, it will ðŸ˜) but at least it fuels the excitement!!

We all know that if its going to snow in Dublin it will wait until 16:30 in order to cause maximum disruption

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

odyboody wrote: »
    We all know that if its going to snow in Dublin it will wait until 16:30 in order to cause maximum disruption

that is a very valid point... but I still want it to snow!! Its cold enough!

odyboody wrote: »

Yessss!! I'm visualising the snow clouds rolling in over 3 rock already!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Yessss!! I'm visualising the snow clouds rolling in over 3 rock already!!

Oh I love that image!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Well a snow shower has reached Galway and its ((irish snow) more sleet than anything else:pac:

I was out in it and that was more water than anything else. It's 4C here now.
    It doesn't look good for us. It feels even milder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was out in it and that was more water than anything else. It's 4C here now.
    It doesn't look good for us. It feels even milder.

today doesnt feel as cold as past few days as there is little or no wind. Just a normal cloudy January day here with a damp ground and the odd glimse of sunshine. Not expecting any snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Pangea wrote: »

Absolutely nothing in Derry City though. A brief light shower around 2 and dry since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Geuze wrote: »
    I drove on N17 from Sligo to Galway from 6-8am today - no snow at all.

Let me guess, just stone walls and green grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Up here, South Kerry 400 asl, the mountains are white veiled while we have icy rain. I imagine that that means snow up there... As for me, need sleep so everyone bar me is fed. Bitterly cold still.... enjoy the snow! I am sure you will... will catch up in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looking at the trajectory of the first 'blob', it looks like it could pass just to the south of Dublin...if it even makes it this far east?

Agreed, it's passing just to the south of Dublin city. not very much left of it anyway however it's helping to bring the temperatures down. The next "blob" is making a definite bee line for Dublin city though and is looking much more wintry, going by net weather radar.....all snow or sleet (rain/snow) showing.

It's trajectory from the Atlantic gives it just about the shortest land track from the north west to Dublin so if it does not make it, we have very little hope of anything else getting to us unless a trough feature decides to grace us.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

sky looks ominus in north kildare. mix of rain sleet and wet snow as i type. wintry feel alright !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Snowing heavily in Monaghan now and sticking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Raining in Shannon Co Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Raintoday.co.uk shows lots of sleet but very little snow.

Would it be usual for it to stay like that as it goes across the country or it it likely to change to more of a snowy composition due to the colder midland temps?

Shane

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

light shower of rain past 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Conditions in Dublin have disimproved for snow potential, 4-5C and DP -0.5

Gonzo wrote: »
    light shower of rain past 10 minutes.

Gonzo, I'd be fairly confident to say that I think you'll be having more wintry precipitation within the next hour and not rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Moderate Snow on the High part of the N7 Naas Rd

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

WHITE GOLD Falling Newbridge , I repeat WHITE GOLD Falling in Newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ya big child :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

Sleety rain here in Limerick now, doesn't feel as cold as earlier.

• Advertisement

The next "blob" is now moving into county Meath and is still holding itself together pretty well although I expect it to begin to lose strength fairly soon although I truly do hope I am wrong.

Currently looking like Meath, Louth, north Kildare and Dublin are in the firing line. Even if snow does not stick in Dublin city (or anywhere really), I would expect very dangerous icy conditions to become widespread overnight. Tomorrow morning is very likely to be quite a nightmare. I may well look into working from home as the local roads at home were horrendous this morning, without much in the way of precip.

Having said all this, I bet I will come back within the hour and say that it looks like it's breaking up/dying out as it nears Dublin :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement