Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

highdef wrote: »
    The next "blob" is now moving into county Meath and is still holding itself together pretty well although I expect it to begin to lose strength fairly soon although I truly do hope I am wrong.

Currently looking like Meath, Louth, north Kildare and Dublin are in the firing line. Even if snow does not stick in Dublin city (or anywhere really), I would expect very dangerous icy conditions to become widespread overnight. Tomorrow morning is very likely to be quite a nightmare. I may well look into working from home as the local roads at home were horrendous this morning, without much in the way of precip.

Having said all this, I bet I will come back within the hour and say that it looks like it's breaking up/dying out as it nears Dublin :p

That big blob has rain on its leading edge. Well that's what happened here. But after 10mins or so it turns to sleet then snow. Really heavy snow here everywhere is a whiteout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Enjoy the snow tonight. Washout weather to resume on Sunday, looking more and more likely. :mad::rolleyes:

gfs-2-78.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes looks like rain is the story shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Enjoy the snow tonight. Washout weather to resume on Sunday, looking more and more likely. :mad::rolleyes:

gfs-2-78.png?12

Let it snow, let it snow, yes let it snow!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Cavan☃☃☃☃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Ooh very light snow (or is that snizzle?) has started her Dublin 16 at 260m
    Temp 1.7 dew point -1.0

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dublin airport is giving a tempo of snow showers from 4pm anyway.

Knock also seems to have gotten a lot of snow showers, reporting snow showers at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I'll wait for the ECM. the GFS doesn't seem to be too accurate from what I am reading on here. Is that front stalling over us on the GFS?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LillyO

Wet snow in east Donegal, children disgusted!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I'll wait for the ECM. the GFS doesn't seem to be too accurate from what I am reading on here. Is that front stalling over us on the GFS?

Nope, no stalling on this run, Atlantic is just charging back into life. It's a little bit suspect because it's more rapid than the 06Z but even the 0Z ECM had rain returning from Sunday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

anyway no white gold here. just the usual rain or cold rain i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Starting to snow lightly here. Sticking though! (Dungiven, County Derry).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Snowing again now in South Sligo had a little thaw for about an hour and then some haily, drizzly, snow - snaizle?
    Now light snow.

Pretzill wrote: »
    Snowing again now in South Sligo had a little thaw for about an hour and then some haily, drizzly, snow - snaizle?
    Now light snow.

Snizzle!:D

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Snizzle!:D

Ha! I was trying to put hail in there somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Meath and Dublin (and north and north east Kildare) are looking fairly certain for an evening rush hour of wintry messiness.

The "blob" is just beginning to lose some intensity but as it's not too far from Dublin at this stage, I would be amazed if it died off before getting to the east coast. It's just hitting Kells and Kinnegad now and Navan/Trim will be hit shortly. Will be interesting to get some reports from these locations to get an idea as to what we may expect further east an hour or less after.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like that blob heading into meath is starting to die on its southern side, wonder will it make it this far south-east.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

GFS is very poor this afternoon, poor as in it hasn't got a clue what's going on. Bringing in that front in as quick as Sunday seems a bit premature!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

This reminds me of the movie THE FOG.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

A few pics from this afternoon, Sir Humphrey the cat is not happy, winter wonderland up here!

( S.E Sligo high ground, aka snow capital of Ireland!)

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like that blob heading into meath is starting to die on its southern side, wonder will it make it this far south-east.

I think it has enough oomph to deliver for many eastern areas and I still think you should see some moderate precip, hopefully moderate snow! Your slight elevation should help too.

It really has kept it's momentum as it has crossed the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

A few pics from this afternoon, Sir Humphrey the cat is not happy, winter wonderland up here!

Very much proper snow. Gorgeous.

That's proper snow you have up there!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Some difference between the GFS and UKMO at + 96 , remarkable actually

c9ZhxQ.png

f6sdHo.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tomorrow is the final day of the cold spell according to the GFS over Ireland with mild atlantic conditons inbound from Saturday afternoon and mild stretching into much of Europe by next Wedesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Gonzo wrote: »
    tomorrow is the final day of the cold spell according to the GFS over Ireland with mild atlantic conditons inbound from Saturday afternoon and mild stretching into much of Europe by next Wedesday.

GFS is all over the place Gozo. I wouldn't be taking that for gospel. Major differences between the GFS and the UKMO 12Z run . Interesting ECM 12z run coming up.

Dublin airport temp is 2c at 16:30. Wonder will that percip hold up? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Dublin airport temp is 2c at 16:30. Wonder will that percip hold up? I doubt it.
    I'm sure we'll see something falling from it, but not confident enough to make the place white.

I'm sure we'll see something falling from it, but not confident enough to make the place white.

its breaking up fast now, doesnt look like we'll see much from it

• Advertisement

It doesn't take much at all to make rush hour crazy....even light to moderate snow falling and not sticking leads to mental traffic in Dublin city. I don't think there will be much and agree that it won't be a whiteout but even if the precip is not all that bad, it is likely to freeze over fairly quickly so that tomorrow mornings commute may well be the real problem on roads that the gritters do not travel on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement