Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Thinks Boards went down again. Some flurries reaching Offaly but they are week. Not sure they will make it much further East. Yahoo weather on my phone appears to be much more accurate than Rain Toady App

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Any snow near Sligo atm??

Still laying snow in South Sligo topped up with hail pellets and ice!

Edit to add: is boards gone all weird keep seeing the last page in this thread twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its actually 4.2c in Sligo at the minture.

Was 2.2c at 6pm

Its 5c in some met stations in the West.

That rain on the satellite is getting closer.

I think the "Frawst" that Siobhan was on about on 9 weather might be moderated in
    seriousness by tomorrow evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Roads and footpaths are absolutely lethal here. Practically had to crawl to the shop. Parked cars look more like igloos with a glaze of ice over them. Yet the air temp is still hoovering just above 0c. Is it possible to even get a decent frost in January anymore? :mad:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

We have icy roads and paths here in Loughrea, car door was frozen shut, temp is 0 and clear skies. No wind so it doesn't feel that cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Snowing on and off the last few hours here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

pauldry wrote: »
    Its actually 4.2c in Sligo at the minture.

Was 2.2c at 6pm

Its 5c in some met stations in the West.

That rain on the satellite is getting closer.

I think the "Frawst" that Siobhan was on about on 9 weather might be moderated in
    seriousness by tomorrow evening

-2 still on my barometer in the yard - albeit in a sheltered spot - but then I'm more inland - are you nearer the sea there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Im surprised at how icy it is even though its not that cold yet

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Having odd showers of graupel, 0.6 C dp -3.3 C

(S.E. Sligo)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Most of Cork is like an ice rink again tonight, at least tomorrow is Friday as early morning driving is an nightmare and walking seems to be even more dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

5 to 6cm just over 2inches of lying snow here. If these showers keep coming in the North will have a fair covering in places before morning. I was talking to my brother earlier who lives on the Monaghan, Armagh border and he has yet to see a flake. Pretty mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    5 to 6cm just over 2inches of lying snow here. If these showers keep coming in the North will have a fair covering in places before morning. I was talking to my brother earlier who lives on the Monaghan, Armagh border and he has yet to see a flake. Pretty mad.

Enjoy 😔

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Just sparkling roads here in Clare.
    Looks nice while you're driving at 30kph through the Burren....
    Reminds me of 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just got pretty windy here in Donegal, dont know where that came from.
    All precipation is grauphel/hail, roads white and quite slippy. Im just too close to the coast for any of the proper stuff I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Its on the ME website that next week is uncertain and that the cold may continue. Going by forecasts we should be seeing yellow and orange low temp warnings from tomorrow to Sunday morning. Is that a first? Can't remember any low temp warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks like Friday night may have a Yellow low temp warning, possibly orange in places. Besides that I can't see where.

Edit: Nevermind. Down to -4c on Friday night, -6 on Sat night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Meath coast...

Beautiful ice formations after this evenings rain! Driveway is lethal!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Behind the Darkness

First snow of the winter falling here in ardee
    Light at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

After last nights freeze, a light layer of snow is covering everything to give that "icing sugar" look to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Icing sugar on top of a hard freeze in sallins

Pretty to look at anyway !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The met ie site is a picture this morning.. not seen what has or not been up here. South Kerry 400 asl but bitterly cold. Clear skies and icy stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Good to see you back Grace :)

Hope all is well and the view in the current weather conditions at your location is amazing.

The cold weather is making for skies that demand viewing these recent nights.

hotwhiskey wrote: »

Your username keeps giving me ideas ;)

Tactical wrote: »
    Good to see you back Grace :)

Hope all is well and the view in the current weather conditions at your location is amazing.

The cold weather is making for skies that demand viewing these recent nights.

Thanks Tactical ...Coming and going; the cold makes me very tired and the situation with the cat just now...I have yet to greet the mountains. Was planning a great escape tomorrow but it will need to wait until the roads are less lethal. How is it where you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

A dusting of snow in Galway city.
    Temp 1.3C, DP 0.4C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Teensy dusting of snow here in Naas

-1c

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

blue sky in swords, bitter cold out...is that the end of the snow folks?got a few wet splutters here last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

lolokeogh wrote: »
    blue sky in swords, bitter cold out...is that the end of the snow folks?got a few wet splutters here last night...

That's the end of the snow for the foreseeable future, yes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

That's the end of the snow for the foreseeable future, yes.

Typical that the UK look likely to covered with it , the models are still an absolute mess mind you , I live in hope .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Quick noob question regarding ice and frost :)

When there's cloud cover, this prevents ice/frost from forming as the cloud acts as a blanket and keeps the warm air from the earths surface trapped.

What happens when there's clear skies to start the night, the ground freezes and then a layer of cloud cover roles in several hours later ? Does it trap in the cold air thus continuing the freeze, or does the subsequent cloud cover allow the ice/frost to thaw/disappear ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement