Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell January 9th to 16th 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

nagdefy wrote: »
    []We live on the same series of hills, the Castlecomer plateau. Last big hill snow event was that blizzard at the end of March 2010 as you mention, and that 1991 event was great got off school early in Comer, bus got us so far and my father had to come on the tractor to get us the rest of the way.
    2010 March blizzard was epic, it would smother you.

We're neighbours alright Robert! I'd be at the top of the Gortahuile Windfarm end. Are you Castlewarren?

Myself and my brother had to be rescued by tractor in Jan 1991 too. We were the last 2 to get out of boarding school. A lot of lads from the Wicklow mountains around Hollywood etc got home before us. Great pics from 31st March 2010. That was one raw night to be out (30th March).

Muckalee/Ballyfoyle area, in between the two places, I can see the windfarm over the top of hill that is between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Models are a real mess this evening even just a few days out.

At 96 hours GFS has the Atlantic back in
    gfs-0-96_tlf7.png

ARPEGE has cold slack north-easterlies
    arpegeeur-0-96_zms3.png

ECM, UKMO and GEM are somewhat in between scenarios but all fairly different as well
    UW96-21_cfu8.GIF

ECM1-96_ugm3.GIF

gem-0-96_ped3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

RobertKK wrote: »
    We live on the same series of hills, the Castlecomer plateau. Last big hill snow event was that blizzard at the end of March 2010 as you mention, and that 1991 event was great got off school early in Comer, bus got us so far and my father had to come on the tractor to get us the rest of the way.
    2010 March blizzard was epic, it would smother you.
    The snow as seen in the following tweet was over 3 feet deep.

Drooling here..

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Bit of a rushed forecast this evening (really glam and nice dress though)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Sorry to the experienced weather people here who must find the differential between these charts irritating but I hope it gives us something completely unexpected - cold-wise 😉
    Trogdor wrote: »
    Models are a real mess this evening even just a few days out.

At 96 hours GFS has the Atlantic back in
    gfs-0-96_tlf7.png

ARPEGE has cold slack north-easterlies
    arpegeeur-0-96_zms3.png

ECM, UKMO and GEM are somewhat in between scenarios but all fairly different as well
    UW96-21_cfu8.GIF

ECM1-96_ugm3.GIF

gem-0-96_ped3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

At 8pm, only one met eireann station is below freezing! (Athenry at -1c). Valentia Island by comparison is recording a very mild 8c! Nice temp diff of 8c across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-0.8c at my station in Tullow but Carlow Town is 3.4c!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

If you ask me the cold has already departed our shores. Temps very high across the west and I have my doubts we will see -5 as projected by met eireann.
    Nice while it lasted but all in all little snow.
    More am ice fest really which I have to say was quite disruptive around cork.....
    The next spell is at least 8-10 days away and by that stage we are almost at the end of Jan

So it's February to redeem the Winter.
    Will it do so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

If you ask me the cold has already departed our shores. Temps very high across the west and I have my doubts
    Will it do so?

Indeed.

I'm nearly as far East as you can get without a boat but the temperature is still 2.5C (albeit with a grass frost) but the breeze is way too strong to produce anything like the temperatures currently forecast by ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Apparently there is no official warnings on the Met Eireann for low temperatures tonight. They are forecasting lows of down to -5c. The criterion for a yellow warning is min -2 to -4c and states max 0 to +2c. Maybe because the temperatures maxed out in most areas of 4c or better today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A half decent frost here at last with current temp on Davis reading -1.8c, with an exposed La Cross sensor out on the windowsill reading -2.2c. Doesn't feel half as cold outside though as it did the last few nights.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    A half decent frost here at last with current temp on Davis reading -1.8c, with an exposed La Cross sensor out on the windowsill reading -2.2c. Doesn't feel half as cold outside though as it did the last few nights.

Where are you located? :confused:

Where are you located? :confused:

Outer space.

New Moon

Outer space.

Frankly, that really isn't very helpful.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

-2.2c in Naas now with a hard frost!

Frankly, that really isn't very helpful.....:(

My location is obvious, it is in my sig directly below.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Indeed.

There is hardly anything more pointless than posting weather info from an undeclared location!

It's -20.4 C and snowing here right now. Oops! - Did I forget to mention I'm in Moscow?

I've added some info to my own location lest anyone confuse Kilternan Dublin with the place in Galway!

I think our one is spelt Kiltiernan anyway!

Cmon now try to keep it civil/on topic. Bit of an argument over nothing here. There's no rules about having a location but even if there was his is location is clearly in his sig. I'm sure the full version of the site can be viewed on mobile as well, if not perhaps this issue should be directed towards the website developers not Oneiric 3.
    EDIT: To clarify, obviously if some people cannot see locations/signatures for whatever reason then the best solution is for users to post locations with each post. However, that is at the users discretion and it can seem a bit redundant at times (to PC users at least I guess, however I confess I have never used the mobile site) to post locations again when they are in the location/sig already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Ha lads don't read the weather thread in the farming forum then as NOBODY posts their location mainly because everyone remembers :D

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I think our one is spelt Kiltiernan anyway!

Ours was spelt that way too until relatively recently!

2.8C now, clear and breezy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Trogdor, in all fairness the lads are only asking for a location. down in the park is plain silly, unless your a Gary Numan fan ;)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1EUxGZQoDU

Trogdor, in all fairness the lads are only asking for a location. down in the park is plain silly, unless your a Gary Numan fan ;)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1EUxGZQoDU
    It would appear that some people are not seeing user's sigs for some reason (where Oneiric has specified his location as Galway), I would suggest hovering over your username -> then control panel -> then edit options (in the bar on the lefthand side) and then look for "Show Signatures" which should have a tick next to it. Beyond that I am not sure what the problem is.

But Trogdor we have agreed here among eachother to post it as alot of users are on Mobile. It's not like its such a painful task for people to do that. Refusal to do so is just being plain difficult and awkward.

Anyway, I no longer care for Onerics location, we can move on I'd say.

You really have little to gripe about to be honest. As I said, my location is in my sig. I put it there so people would know where my reports are coming from. Simple.

Dear Oneiric...I wish to offer my unreserved apologies....I didn't have signatures or avatars enabled :o

Belfast International Airport reporting -3c at 23:50

Carnacalla wrote: »
    But Trogdor we have agreed here among eachother to post it as alot of users are on Mobile. It's not like its such a painful task for people to do that. Refusal to do so is just being plain difficult and awkward.

Anyway, I no longer care for Onerics location, we can move on I'd say.

As I said in the edit to my post above, the easiest and best solution is obviously for everyone include their locations in their posts. However it's not a rule and it seems a bit harsh to have a go at someone who is actually already displaying their location (whether you can see it or not).

Hopefully we can get back on topic now (not that this cold spell seems to be going anywhere). I'm going to remove some of the argument but will leave the note about how to turn on signatures as it seems some people were not aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Is it just me or is it warm in Cork tonight? Or is it the wine:pac:

Anyway, back on topic, -2.7c here now. Not extraordinary in the great scheme of things, but the lowest temp here so far this year.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Did you ever walk into a room while an argument was going on and feel a bit awkward cod u haven't a clue what's going on!?!

Anyway, nice night. Supposedly -1 (Carlow kilkenny for fellow mobile users ;-) ) but my temp sensor outside appears to be on the brink so I don't know.. I'll be angry in the am if I can't retrieve lowest temp readings....

• Advertisement

Anyway, back on topic, -2.7c here now. Not extraordinary in the great scheme of things, but the lowest temp here so far this year.

Just down the road in west Clare its an ever so mild 4c (Slowly dropping), warm front must be near here.

Shannon airport also reporting 1c.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement