Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crown- Netflix (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 trailer.

Olivia Colman will take over the role of playing the Queen for season 3.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017-10-26/the-crown-olivia-colman-replace-claire-foy-as-queen-elizabeth-ii/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I hadn't given any thought how they'd age the the cast but I had assumed that Foy, Smith, etc. would be in the series until the end with make up and light prosthetics.

Olivia Coleman is a fantastic choice though - she is just great in everything.

Pity the current cast has to be replaced but if the new actors are half as talented as Coleman it will still be a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

So Helena Bonham Carter will play Margaret. It is interesting because I think she looks much more like an older Claire Foy than an older Vanessa Kirby.

Now that I think of it, Olivia Coleman could more easily pass for an older Vanessa Kirby than an older Claire Foy.

Can't wait to see how this turns out. Sad to see the current cast leave though. The reason I was so invested in the show was due to their great performances.

And surely by the time we get to seasons 5 and 6, Bill Nighy is a certainty for Phillip. Can't think of anyone better for that role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,503 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bumping this......excellent show. Very interesting, educational and informative...

Looking at it it really shows how there was so much more style and class back then. Manners, etiquette and clarity.

I have just finished season one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

walshb wrote: »
    Bumping this......excellent show. Very interesting, educational and informative...

Be careful with your view of the series as being 'educational', they took an awful lot of liberty with historical facts and that is freely admitted by the script writer.

The involvement of the Duke of Windsor (formerly Edward VIII) in various scenes (post-abdication) is complete fiction, he had absolutely nothing to do with day to day matters of state or concerning the royal family after he went into exile. They're still fascinated by Mrs. Simpson in the US so my view is that the script writers hung on to the Duke and her for as long as they could in the storyline but anything involving him after 1936 is complete fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,503 ✭✭✭✭walshb

coylemj wrote: »
    Be careful with your view of the series as being 'educational', they took an awful lot of liberty with historical facts and that is freely admitted by the script writer.

The involvement of the Duke of Windsor (formerly Edward VIII) in various scenes (post-abdication) is complete fiction, he had absolutely nothing to do with day to day matters of state or concerning the royal family after he went into exile. They're still fascinated by Mrs. Simpson in the US so my view is that the script writers hung on to the Duke and her for as long as they could in the storyline but anything involving him after 1936 is complete fiction.

I am well aware that everything in it is not accurate......drama shows do embellish and do invent.

My points stands. It is quite educational.

I love the way they spoke years ago. So stylishly and articulately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mod - Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KeiraDave

Is the Crown worth watching? Any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mod - Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tobias Menzies to play Prince Philip and Olivia Colman for Queen Lizzy in new season

Ben Daniels to play Lord Snowdon and Helena Bonham Carter Princess Margaret

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Have you got sources for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

As an English Republican (a Brit opposed to the institution of monarchy), I thought I'd really dislike this show. On the contrary, however, I loved every minute and binged watched the whole thing. Beautifully shot, beautifully scripted and brilliantly acted. Every actor in it just nailed their role. Vanessa Kirby was a standout, as was Lithgow as Churchill and Jared Harris as King George. Claire Foy was fantastic and I thought she brought out a very vulnerable side to Elizabeth. But the actress playing Mary of Teck - brief but unforgettable. It was wonderful how they had her representing the last dying gasp of the old order. That small scene, where she knelt to Elizabeth, was fantastic and not a word of dialogue was spoken. It was all expression and body language.

Philip felt glossed over, like they erased his notorious gaffs etc. But that was a minor quibble. And I love that they showed him having a fractious relationship with Charles. Speaking of which, the glimpses into his childhood certainly pave the way for the disfunctional, screwed up adult we know he becomes. Whether it's a reflection on reality, I'm less certain. But for purposes of drama, it was very good.

Anyway, roll on season three. I'm sad to see the old cast go but very much looking forward to seeing what the new guys do. Olivia Colman is brilliant and I love Helena Bonham Carter.

Gillian Anderson to play Thatcher in the 4th season.

Gillian Anderson to play Thatcher in the 4th season.

She couldn't really talk about it for a while, officially. Confirmed now.

https://twitter.com/TheCrownNetflix/status/1170309649167523845

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

That surely has to be Louis Mountbatten‘s funeral during the trailer?

ShagNastii wrote: »
    That surely has to be Louis Mountbatten‘s funeral during the trailer?

Churchill's probably, I think they're only going up to the mid-70s?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I love this series but I will miss Claire Foy and Vanessa Kirby. Two fantastic actresses who were really the shining lights of the cast for me. Im looking forward to seeing Princess Diana being introduced too. I think Gillian Anderson will be well suited to the role of Margaret Thatcher too. Roll on November!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,819 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I love this series but I will miss Claire Foy and Vanessa Kirby. Two fantastic actresses who were really the shining lights of the cast for me. Im looking forward to seeing Princess Diana being introduced too. I think Gillian Anderson will be well suited to the role of Margaret Thatcher too. Roll on November!

I think Gillian Anderson will be very good as Margaret thatcher. She has the ability to change her accent(it's a thing) and so while I think of her as a American actor she'll won't sound like an American doing a possibly bad British accent.

Churchill's probably, I think they're only going up to the mid-70s?

The third season is going from 1964- 1977 so it could be the former king Edward VIII as I think he died in 1972.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think Thatcher is next year.
    It's weird seeing Bonham Carter as Maggie when you consider she played the Queen Mother in The King's Speech.

flazio wrote: »
    I think Thatcher is next year.
    It's weird seeing Bonham Carter as Maggie when you consider she played the Queen Mother in The King's Speech.

Yeah I mean to go from Vanessa Kirby to bonham carter considering the series is picking up from where it left off is weird. I mean it was hardly outside the realm of possibility to age the actors as they went along ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The third season is going from 1964- 1977 so it could be the former king Edward VIII as I think he died in 1972.

Although Churchill got the full state funeral treatment too, Edward VIII does make a lot more sense. Especially given his affect on the Queen et al in the previous seasons. If it is Edward's funeral, I hope they show Wallis Simpson there too and she and the Queen have some sort of interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah I mean to go from Vanessa Kirby to bonham carter considering the series is picking up from where it left off is weird. I mean it was hardly outside the realm of possibility to age the actors as they went along ?

I think it'll be a bit strange in that Elizabeth was the elder sister by 4 years in real life but Bonham Carter is something like 8 years older than Colman?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Although Churchill got the full state funeral treatment too, Edward VIII does make a lot more sense. Especially given his affect on the Queen et al in the previous seasons. If it is Edward's funeral, I hope they show Wallis Simpson there too and she and the Queen have some sort of interaction.

Did they have any interaction during the funeral in real life though ? I've some footage of that funeral online and while the royal family don't come across as rude towards Walis Simpson I don't see any talking that I remember.

Edit: there was interaction between the two.

The Queen mother really didn't like walis simpson it's fair to say.

Advertisement