Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Comparison for Oculus

Options
  • 06-01-2016 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

I figured you fellas would be best positioned to help me with this. So the Oculus Rift has a mini-app that checks if your system meets the requirements. They recommend the i5-4590 whereas mine is the older but high tier i7-3770k.

Benchmarking puts mine well ahead of the i5 in question.
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2&cmp[]=2234

Yet the app gives me a fail for the CPU. I cannot see any reason that my i7 wouldn't be up to scratch where the i5 is - can you see anything I am missing?

I can overclock the i7 if needs be, I just haven't seen any reason to as of yet. But if there is some fundamental technology I am missing (which I seriously doubt) it would be very useful to know that!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The i7 will be enough, its far faster than the i5. If a line is drawn for these types of app, it'll cut off anything supposedly below it, meaning older CPUs.

I've failed tests like these despite weaker AMD CPUs passing, I've an i5, you need to look realistically as opposed to running off the bare numbers like its doing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I suppose once we moved away from single core processors it became much harder to directly assess total performance of any given CPU.

I wonder what it is actually checking though. Does it have a list of approved CPUs? Does it check a manufacture date?

Thank you for confirming my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Recommended:
    Video Card NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or greater
    CPU Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
    Memory 8GB+ RAM
    Video Output Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
    USB Ports 3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port
    OS Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer

and
    For the Oculus Rift to perform at an optimal level with your computer, we recommend an Intel i5-4590 CPU or greater.*

* Please note that we focus on single-core performance CPUs, therefore not every i5 and i7 card will meet Rift's recommended system specifications.

This may be where you've fallen down:
    Single-Core Performance
    Individual core benchmark performance
    Core i7 3770K
    Core i5 4590
    Core i5 4460
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4590

But hey, its a K processor, OC the hell out of that baby and you'll be miles ahead of a 4590 at stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Even on single core performance, there's virtually no difference between a 3770 and a Skylake i5, let alone a Haswell.

You're absolutely concrete on the CPU, worry about the graphics card...that will make or break the Oculus experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Even on single core performance, there's virtually no difference between a 3770 and a Skylake i5, let alone a Haswell.

You're absolutely concrete on the CPU, worry about the graphics card...that will make or break the Oculus experience.

That is being upgraded to whatever is necessary. I'm really, really hoping we get an appropriate Pascal offering in time, but otherwise it'll probably be a 980. 970 maybe depending on how the wallet is looking...

• Advertisement
Advertisement