Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer repair/ upgrading system... what course??

Options
  • 06-01-2016 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I need to do a computer repair course, I thought it might help with my search in trying to get into a sector that involves an element of working with computers. Plus, I'd like to do it for my own computer problems too, if required.

I've heard and read lots about the COMPTIA A+ course. Is this really outdated? I read one of the MCQ's was something about floppy disks! Is it really worth doing it?

Could anyone recommend a course I could do? I already have my ECDL, since like 10 years ago (also probably outdated now). I like the idea of just self studying and just taking the exam. Or evening course work as I work part-time during the day.

I could do a one/two week intensive course full time in Dublin providing if the dates suited. But ideally, self-study and subsequently taking the exam and getting another certificate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

The A+ sounds right up your alley. Bear in mind the idea is to give you a well-rounded understanding of desktop computing, including historical background information - you might think of floppy disks as ancient technology, but you may not get to pick and choose what kind of equipment you get to repair, assuming your eventual goal is to do this professionally. Also, the exams get updated from time to time (according to some of the posters here there seems to be an imminent update on the way).

Probably not worth paying for a formal course - just get a book and trawl youtube for tutorial videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

The COMPTIA A+ course will cover computer repair and all hardware as well as networking. If you want all of the video tutorials, Professor Messer's COMPTIA A+ has them all on the link below free. Scroll down on that page.

http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/free-a-plus/

The are also mock tests on the link below...

http://www.examcompass.com/comptia-a-plus-practice-test-1-exam-220-801

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

CompTIA A+ is always good to start with, it basically says to an employer you have the required knowledge to cover computer repair.

Network+ will help you on towards the routers/hubs/switches route which is also very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭foxylaydee

Super! Thanks for the recommendation of the course and all your extra bits of information. I'm really excited about doing it now!

Does anybody know what test centre holds the exams?

I'd really love to get started on studying, but as mocmocmoc says I may as well wait till the updated version of it comes out.

Thanks again everyone, really helpful posts. Hopefully it will all eventually help with the job hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

foxylaydee wrote: »

I'd really love to get started on studying, but as mocmocmoc says I may as well wait till the updated version of it comes out.

The updated 900 version is out. Started in December. They run both side by side. 800 and 900 series for a few months. 800 expires in June.
    See Here

Mike Meyers book has been released, Professor Messer has done lots of videos and Pluralsight are already on the Torrents.

So you can start studying the 900 series now. Your only problem is the exam. Test centres might delay in introducing the 900 exam. I'd ring them and see when there going to start it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all of your replies.

I was having a look at test centres and test availability near me. There is one test on every month, which are during work hours. I'm going to ring them to see if they will be putting any more on.

Plus, what's the difference between 220-901 and 220-902?
    How long would it take me to study for it?

My comptia 9th edition book is on the way! Can't wait.

How long roughly would it take to study for this course? I'd like to book my exam as soon as possible.

My comptia 9th edition book is on the way! Can't wait.

How long roughly would it take to study for this course? I'd like to book my exam as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

It depends on how much effort you put into it - a friend of mine studied every night practically and theory for around 3-4 weeks straight and passed very highly! You should be fine if you put the effort into it, best of luck!

That's class! I know I'm kinda thinking far ahead (seeing as I haven't even got the book yet) but what courses could I do after? Or should I.. would that be enough?

I would be interested in just repairing computer/laptop for people at work.

Website design would be good... could offer to update work website.

Maybe coding...

Like, I wouldn't mind getting into computers as a career... seeing as the one I qualified in is difficult to get a job in. I don't know what area in computers I'd be interested in. :-S

• Advertisement

That's class! I know I'm kinda thinking far ahead (seeing as I haven't even got the book yet) but what courses could I do after? Or should I.. would that be enough?

I would be interested in just repairing computer/laptop for people at work.

Website design would be good... could offer to update work website.

Maybe coding...

Like, I wouldn't mind getting into computers as a career... seeing as the one I qualified in is difficult to get a job in. I don't know what area in computers I'd be interested in. :-S

Advertisement