Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you put the main lights on at home when its Dark?

Options
  • 06-01-2016 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

forget SAD lights for the winter , Who makes sure their home is adequately lit? when they are at home ?

I should imagine when youv'e had a sh!te day at work, you've got soaked by the rain and your freezing and feeling depressed , just getting home and going into your house and putting no light on or a small table light, or a room with a dim light bulb or not enough bright light bulb to light the room not only would it put a strain on your eyes whilst your watching TV or computer in a dimly lit room it most probably makes you feel even more depressed even if you dont realise it, even though 'cosy' it may be!

Same when you wake up on these cold dark mornings, forget spending out on these expensive SAD lights from chemists (most of them are just a simple box with a daylight tube in it - you can get an ordinary daylight cfl bulb from hardware store for about 4euro but SAD lights from chemists can cost around 80euro or more!) all you need to do is turn on a main bright light in your rooms at home in the mornings and the evenings when its dark outside.

Try it, I bet it works - when its morning put your lights on in the house (good bright lights) I bet you will start to feel better! and less depressed!

I am no doctor or experienced but its a well known fact that your body system gets tired and sleepy in the dark , its getting ready for sleep mode, and your body wakes up when its light, it indicates to you that you need to wake up - so if you get up on a dark pitch black winters morning and all you do is put on a dim bedside lamp and you cannot seem to properly feel awake in the mornings try putting on your bright main room lights as you are waking up - see if that makes you wake up quicker and feel better.

Its the same for businesses without big enough windows or insufficient lighting if for some reasons your bosses turn of the lights to save electricity or whatever reason and the staff feel tired all the time it could be because there is not enough daylight , time for the tiredness and depression to kick in, this might indicate why some people are depressed in some jobs than others and by just brightening up the office or wherever your working and turning on sufficient lighting it might just lighten up the mood of the workers and a happier workforce will be more efficient and maybe less time off work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

No,

I text the house when I'm ten minutes away and they come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've them on a timer so the lights and heating are on when I come home and it's cosy af.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I can sleep well in daylight or stay up very late at night, so it doesn't bother me. I certainly put on the lights though when I come home from work if it was dark as I wouldn't be able to see otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I have the telly, the laptop and the roaring fire light. That's enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No, I have night vision goggles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I use my finger to turn the light-switch on.

I have lamps plugged into remote control sockets, along with my tv. When I come in the door I drop my keys on the shelf and hit the button and the place lights up and the tv comes on the news channel. I have a light sensitive sensor blind on my main living room window, so it goes up with the dawn and down with the dusk automatically. My heating is on a timer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You are sadly mistaken if you think an ordinary bulb will give the same benefit as a SAD light, for those who need them. Ordinary lights are white light. Sunlight is not white and neither are SAD lights, as they are made up of the full spectrum.

Personally, unless I'm reading, I prefer dimmed lights.

Personally, unless I'm reading, I prefer dimmed lights.

I much prefer the low light of lamps to the glare of an overhead, especially in winter.

You're right about SAD lights, wake up light alarms are the same, it's not the same as a lamp on a timer or an overhead CFL.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Wtf is this? Turn on the lights when it's dark... D'uhhhhh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I only have the room that I'm in lit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The staff have the lights on and fires lit in whichever of my homes I am staying in.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In the evenings, does anyone ever find themselves straining their eyes to read a book, because they're too lazy to walk across the room and switch a light on?

If you don't, then bully for you.

RayM wrote: »
    In the evenings, does anyone ever find themselves straining their eyes to read a book, because they're too lazy to walk across the room and switch a light on?

If you don't, then bully for you.

No. Kindle paperwhite. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Wtf is this? Turn on the lights when it's dark... D'uhhhhh!

Or when the TV license inspector has gone from the door :D

Candie wrote: »
    No. Kindle paperwhite. :)

When I eventually buy one of them, I'll never need to switch a light on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

RayM wrote: »
    When I eventually buy one of them, I'll never need to switch a light on again.

The books on it will light the lamp of your soul, true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Certainly not.
    Ouch
    OW
    FCUK
    Damn
    Christ who left that there
    Eeeeeeee Sweet JEEEEESUSSS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

a lot are reading into it wrong - i am saying that if you get grumpy or tired or depressed in the winter it could be because you dont turn the lights on or dont have the room bright enough what your sitting in when you are awake -

• Advertisement

a lot are reading into it wrong - i am saying that if you get grumpy or tired or depressed in the winter it could be because you dont turn the lights on or dont have the room bright enough what your sitting in when you are awake -

I'd get just as grumpy, tired and depressed if I had to get up and walk across the room to switch the light on. It's a real Catch 22 situation.

We are not getting anything wrong. You are getting it wrong.

Normal white light will not help tiredness or depression in Winter. Read above ☀

• Site Banned Posts: 137 ✭✭MaryAntoinette

I opens the fridge door by night for light.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It reaches for the light switch. I slap it's hand away.

Only turn on a light as I enter a room and off again when I leave, don't leave hall lights or anything on its a waste of electricity. I would often watch tv in the dark or with a very dim lamp as I prefer it this way.

Not a fan of putting on heating either only the minimum amount, really really annoys me when housemates set the heat to come on in the morning, I usually sneakily reduce the time it's on for when they go to bed. It's pure waste, you get up, get dressed and leave why waste gas heating the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Have to agree that BRIGHT LIGHTS do cheer me up no end when I get in from the dark.

But later I dim them for using the electronics, and chilling out.

We are not getting anything wrong. You are getting it wrong.

Normal white light will not help tiredness or depression in Winter. Read above ☀

yeah it will - it may not be the colour rendering (daylight) as the tubes in a SAD box, but it still works on the same principle - your brain see's light and it tells your brain that is daytime and to keep awake

bright lights ... and vitamin D , you will feel a lot better

yeah it will - it may not be the colour rendering (daylight) as the tubes in a SAD box, but it still works on the same principle - your brain see's light and it tells your brain that is daytime and to keep awake

bright lights ... and vitamin D , you will feel a lot better

That is nonsense. YOU may feel better but light keeping you awake and light removing fatigue and depression are completely different.

Please don't start practicing medicine for goodness sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I only have the room I'm in lit and then with a floor lamp with a dimmer switch.. it's on about 50% as I sit here watching TV and on the laptop

(also, f.lux is great for stopping that harsh blue light from the screen)

• Advertisement

That is nonsense. YOU may feel better but light keeping you awake and light removing fatigue and depression are completely different.

Please don't start practicing medicine for goodness sake.

Well, whats in one of these expensive SAD Light boxes you get from Chemist to help deal with depression in the winter? - its just a Light! - it is clinically proved they work

Advertisement