Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Networks Re-connection > 2 years off

Options
  • 06-01-2016 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

If power has been disconnected from an existing dwelling (11 years old) for approx 3 years, is it always treated as a new connection by ESBN?

I know an updated wiring cert will be needed, but it seems excessive to pay the guts of 2K for them to pop the main fuse back in. Is there some leeway on costs?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Hi All,

If power has been disconnected from an existing dwelling (11 years old) for approx 3 years, is it always treated as a new connection by ESBN?

I know an updated wiring cert will be needed, but it seems excessive to pay the guts of 2K for them to pop the main fuse back in. Is there some leeway on costs?

Thanks

certified a house that was unoccupied for 4 years and initially esbn wanted to issue a new mprn number(and charge accordingly)but after the householder contacted them a few times i was allowed to use existing mprn and i believe a charge of €180 was applied.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 21 emtulsk

Given that it's 11 years off the entire hardware will probably be replaced to bring it up to current standards. Put in your application and an eo will look at the existing connection, if it's of a suitable standard then you only have to pay a set fee for the new mprn and to re-energise (around €100). If not then your applying out of the new essentially, and any hardware (poles, cable etc) that need to be replaced will be, it may be the case that the entire connection is replaced but this depends on the location and situation on site

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

emtulsk wrote: »
    Given that it's 11 years off the entire hardware will probably be replaced to bring it up to current standards. Put in your application and an eo will look at the existing connection, if it's of a suitable standard then you only have to pay a set fee for the new mprn and to re-energise (around €100). If not then your applying out of the new essentially, and any hardware (poles, cable etc) that need to be replaced will be, it may be the case that the entire connection is replaced but this depends on the location and situation on site

The house is in a very large estate with other houses, supplied underground from the mini pilar along with all the neighbours. What would of changed externally in the last 10 years which would need upgrading?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 21 emtulsk

Your in multi-unit residential, different prices altogether. Your probably looking at between €100 and €500 to get power on, that's going from a standard new mprn and re-energise, right up to a UG service replacement up to 50 meters. This is from the statement of charges though and is indicative of what I've read here only.

The house is in a very large estate with other houses, supplied underground from the mini pilar along with all the neighbours. What would of changed externally in the last 10 years which would need upgrading?

The problem is not what's changed, its whether what's already there is up to the current standards which have gone up in recent years.

As above probably little to no work required, get your application in and the site visit done and they'll quote you. I'd be surprised if it costed over €500 but then again it's hard to judge from posts on a forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

+1 - I wouldnt worry too much.
    I did this for my own house I bought a couple of yrs ago.
    Elec was off for number of years and => is treated as new connection.
    I also feared the 2k price.
    Reality is once you submit your cert, all esb have to do is send a guy out to do something in the box.

Cant remember exactly how much i paid it was definitely less than 200 euro.

Edit: My house was 30+ yrs old and had not been re-wired or up-graded in that time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement