Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing a two year old thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

rather than open a new thread I stuck my question onto an existing thread which was closed then by the Mod.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98318071&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notification#post98318071

Is there a site wide policy on this?
    Thanks

General policy/decorum is not to ressurect old threads, so the mod was well within their remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

BuffyBot wrote: »
    General policy/decorum is not to ressurect old threads, so the mod was well within their remit.

Grand, any time frame for guidance?
    Keep well.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There is no general rule, it depends upon the forum in question and it's level of traffic. But two years is definitely far too old.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It really does depend on the forum and underlying topic. I've seen threads resurrected to update what was perhaps originally a news story. Equally sometimes the advice being sought originally is equally relevant now. On the other hand sometimes the discussion is clearly out of date, or indeed mods may think a new thread more appropriate. It's generally down to the local mods to exercise discretion on whether a zombie thread should be resurrected.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I don't think there is any such general rule in relation to the age of a thread. I've never seen it written anywhere and it has become a bit of a bugbear of mine that there is an assumption that old threads should never be resurrected.

In Legal Discussion, it is encouraged not to start a new thread on something that has already been discussed. We encourage use of the search function. Granted, the law might have changed since the last post in the old thread, but rather than re-hashing the entire discussion, it is far preferable to just addend the changes, which are rarely if ever wholesale.

I can understand that in some forums, posting to a thread that is a few years old can be problematic, but I would say that there's an argument that's the exception to the general rule that you shouldn't start a new thread on a topic that's already been covered for the vast majority of the forums on the site.

In fact, we have a specific rule in the LD charter that mentions this issue: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87523054&postcount=13

(Mods: I noticed last-minute that this is HD and not Feedback. I wonder if you might still just take the contents on board, though? Thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement