Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Route advice for Dublin to Waterford, or is it Kilkenny ?

• 06-01-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Well lads, I'm heading down to a hotel down in Waterford this weekend and was hoping to get a bit of advice on the route Im taking. The plan at the moment is to take the N81 down to Poulaphouca, cut across the Wicklow mountains on the R756 before heading over towards Arklow town. From there I'm thinking of continuing south along the R772 and onto the N11, N30 and then N25 into Waterford town.

I've never been down this way before and have only been up in the wicklow mountains twice (Sallys and Wicklow Gap) so am not really sure what roads are worth hitting and what roads are worth missing. Is there any you would recommend? Id love to get some views of the coast (R742 seem ideal for it).

I know its forecast to rain early Saturday which isnt ideal but what are you gonna do besides wrap up.

http://imgur.com/a/s5bFV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Definitely go the Wicklow - Gorey - Waterford route.

Don't bother going through Kilkenny, not a whole lot to see there really scenery wise (sorry to any Kilkenny heads that may be here!)

Once your down here, off out to Tramore with yourself and hit the Coast Road all the ways to Dungarvan. Absolutely cracker of a road and great scenery to boot!

Hope you get the weather for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If the weather is bad and you need to get there the fastest route then Kilkenny is the way to go, but as has been said its pretty boring ~ but its fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Look if you want to go fast then go the M9 its the fastest route, If you dont want to be bored, N81 down to Ballon then on to Borris and Graiguenamanagh (its really nice part of the country with the Mount Leinster etc. )

But bearing in mind with the floods etc alot of these areas may have impassible roads. i thing Graiguenamanagh was affected and some parts of carlow.

If you make it to Kilkenny Town then your too far west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Cheers lads! Gonna wait to see what the weather is like for the weekend before I decide on a route. If its raining on the way south Ill more than likely just take the M9 down and try to hit the scenic route on the way back (which is never as fun)!
    Once your down here, off out to Tramore with yourself and hit the Coast Road all the ways to Dungarvan. Absolutely cracker of a road and great scenery to boot!!

Would the coast road be the R675?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Once your down here, off out to Tramore with yourself and hit the Coast Road all the ways to Dungarvan. Absolutely cracker of a road and great scenery to boot!

Did that road the week before xmas in the car. Half of me was kicking meself I wasn't on the bike, the other half bricking it in the car. Some road alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

listermint wrote: »
    Look if you want to go fast then go the M9 its the fastest route, If you dont want to be bored, N81 down to Ballon then on to Borris and Graiguenamanagh (its really nice part of the country with the Mount Leinster etc. )

This really.

There's nothing of interest on the M9, nothing.

Advertisement