Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPad very slow only when typing in a discussion fora

• 06-01-2016 9:57pm

Would anybody know why, when I type with an iPad2, the letters take so long to appear in discussion boxes like this one on Boards, the same discussion boxes that are used widely across the internet?

When I type letters I invariably have to wait a while at the end of sentences for the words to be produced. This, of course, is frustratingly slow. There is no such problem when I use this same iPad to type on a simple google search page. Needless to say, the problem does not exist when I use a laptop for any of these same fora. I don't know the technical name for this box/discussion forum design to do a relevant search to find out how to speed it up.

Would anybody have any insight into what causes this and how to solve it? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'm guessing it is slow as when your typing in a text area the device is loading the dictionary algorithm which may be slower on older machines. I'll move this to the Apple Devices forum for you where it is better suited.

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You could try erasing your browser history and cache and clearing all the safari settings to see if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I have this problem too occasionally on an iPad Air. My workaround is to type the text in the Notes app and copy and paste. Also saves you having to retype a message in the event of the your browser crashing/stalling.

Zcott wrote: »
    You could try erasing your browser history and cache and clearing all the safari settings to see if that helps.

Unfortunately that didn't result in any improvement.
    I have this problem too occasionally on an iPad Air. My workaround is to type the text in the Notes app and copy and paste. Also saves you having to retype a message in the event of the your browser crashing/stalling.

Good to see I'm not the only one. Similarly, I've started just typing directly into the Google search engine and copying and pasting into these boxes and it's much quicker. However, I was hoping Apple had some sort of fix for this that I was unaware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Have the same issue myself with my Ipad 4,Notice that in chrome on boards,I tap to write on a forum,Sometimes it takes awhile,Don't know if it happens you but While typing a notice it leaves the text box all together which is very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Apple devices have issues with long forms containing multiple input fields. The work around for developers is to replace input fields with text area boxes. Given that boards has a single text area and not a long form containing input fields I wouldn't say this is an iOS issue, more likely a boards issue and as the boards dev team have mentioned previously that they don't have any iOS devices to test their sites I'd say it won't be fixed but I'd log it in the feedback forum anyway.

smash wrote: »
    Given that boards has a single text area and not a long form containing input fields I wouldn't say this is an iOS issue, more likely a boards issue and as the boards dev team have mentioned previously that they don't have any iOS devices to test their sites I'd say it won't be fixed but I'd log it in the feedback forum anyway.

I'm not sure at all the problem rests with Boards, as if you try posting on The Irish Times forum you'll have precisely the same problem as writing in the box here on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm not sure at all the problem rests with Boards, as if you try posting on The Irish Times forum you'll have precisely the same problem as writing in the box here on Boards.
    I can't find anything online regarding ipad issues with text areas. There's loads of chrome and android issues though.

Advertisement