Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day / Night meter switching at wrong time?

Options
  • 06-01-2016 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a day night meter where i live but I'm not sure that it changes mode at the right times. The night hours at the moment should be 11pm to 8am but I never hear the loud click from my switch box that happens when the switchover occurs until much later than it should happen and I think it's going back to day metering too soon also.

I have taken this photo in the hope that maybe some of you can tell me if there is something wrong with this and if not, what should I do?

Note that the photo was taken at about 9.20 p.m if that is of any help.

meter.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi, I have a day night meter where i live but I'm not sure that it changes mode at the right times. The night hours at the moment should be 11pm to 8am but I never hear the loud click from my switch box that happens when the switchover occurs until much later than it should happen and I think it's going back to day metering too soon also.

I have taken this photo in the hope that maybe some of you can tell me if there is something wrong with this and if not, what should I do?

Note that the photo was taken at about 9.20 p.m if that is of any help.

meter.jpg

As far as I know it is connected to an outdoor sensor which is automatically updated by the supplier so you have no real control over the times it is on and off for. The knows are just for temperature control. Might be worth getting in touch with your electricity provider to check if they have changed anything or have a look at the outdoor sensor if it accessible to see if it's damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Its a devi reg controller in the photo not a meter . Once it gets supply after the clock changes over to night rate ( after 23.00 depending on if we are winter or summer time) it does a calculation to see how many hours the storage heaters need to charge relative to the outside temperature when the clock changes over , so on a mild night you will not get a full charge on the heaters but instead maybe 5 or 6 hours. If you download a manual on line you will get the full instructions for it . Most are never set up properly as they can only be set up after 23.00 when most electricians are well gone home

• Registered Users Posts: 45,985 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I live in an apartment and recently had this issue, after a power cut.

We were able to check the meter, which is in a common area, and we could see the clock the meters run off was out by 7 hours, so it was switching at 4 and not 11. This effected the 8 apartments on our floor.

We contacted electric Ireland and they came out to investigate, and put a new clock in. Sorted now and our bill for the period will be charged at the night rate only.

Go look for your actual meter and see if there is clock and if it is telling the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I live in an apartment and recently had this issue, after a power cut.

Surely those meters have an internal battery to keep the clock running when there's no external power - as is the case with PCs, mobile phones and most gadgets these days?

In the UK they broadcast a long wave radio signal which switches the night meters to/from night mode so the clock in the meter (if there is one) doesn't have any say in the matter.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 21 emtulsk

If you've had a power outage the clock is most likely out, also the clocks are set to summer time so that explains your hour out either side, log a call with your supplier and ESBN will come out and check, and most likely replace with a digital clock with battery backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Check the time yourself . If you call them out and there is nothing wrong you are charged

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The older mechanical rotary clocks did have a backup system that kept them going for several days if the power failed, but they can and do fail eventually, and become inaccurate. Our meter reader looks at the timeclock when he reads the meter, so in theory, if it's wrong, that will trigger a visit to reset it, but it will depend on the meter reader.

We ended up with a new digital meter a while back as the old mechanical meter was sticking at low current usage, so the meter and clock were swapped out for a new very accurate digital meter, which switches pretty much to the second, the old mechanical clocks tended to be plus or minus as much as 30 minutes.

You need to be able to see your time clock to see what's happening, and if it is accurate or not.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement