Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK Penalty Points-Irish License-Still in UK?

Options
  • 06-01-2016 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I currently live in the Uk and hold an Irish drivers license as I only moved over recently. I recently got caught speeding while driving a company car in UK (40 in 30 zone) and my employers got an email from the rental company saying 100 pound fine and 3 penalty points for me.

That's ok and I'm willing to pay the fine, but I am wondering what the situation will be for the points. I don't have a car currently over here but was thinking of buying one soon. I know if I came home the points wouldn't be on my license as they are non-transferable (correct me if I'm wrong). But I'm planning on staying here a while so what is the story if I buy a car here and look for insurance? Do I need to say I have 3 penalty points, or are they not applicable to my license?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I currently live in the Uk and hold an Irish drivers license as I only moved over recently. I recently got caught speeding while driving a company car in UK (40 in 30 zone) and my employers got an email from the rental company saying 100 pound fine and 3 penalty points for me.

That's ok and I'm willing to pay the fine, but I am wondering what the situation will be for the points. I don't have a car currently over here but was thinking of buying one soon. I know if I came home the points wouldn't be on my license as they are non-transferable (correct me if I'm wrong). But I'm planning on staying here a while so what is the story if I buy a car here and look for insurance? Do I need to say I have 3 penalty points, or are they not applicable to my license?

Points will go onto a UK shadow licence. They activate if you ever get a UK licence. Irish license will not have points applied and you're incident in the UK has no bearing on your Irish licence or insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 drakkardnoir

Thanks for the reply Sully. The thing is I want to buy a car and get insured in the UK. I'm guessing the points will apply then yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Sully wrote: »
    Points will go onto a UK shadow licence. They activate if you ever get a UK licence. Irish license will not have points applied and you're incident in the UK has no bearing on your Irish licence or insurance.
    AFAIK points apply straight away rather than rely on a licence exchange, just like they now do here.
    Thanks for the reply Sully. The thing is I want to buy a car and get insured in the UK. I'm guessing the points will apply then yes?
    I would say so. Points are a sanction against you (not just your licence) so must be declared once they've been issued.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

slimjimmc wrote: »
    AFAIK points apply straight away rather than rely on a licence exchange, just like they now do here.

There on the shadow licence immediately but I don't know if they only become active when a licence is issued or whether the time frame starts immediately.

I would say so. Points are a sanction against you (not just your licence) so must be declared once they've been issued.

But if you're getting insurance on an Irish license than surely there the only points that apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

You should be able to do the speed awareness course instead of getting the 3 points, think it's slightly more expensive so maybe take the points if its not an issue

http://www.theaa.com/aadrivetech/driver-awareness/speed-awareness-course.html

• Advertisement

td2008 wrote: »
    You should be able to do the speed awareness course instead of getting the 3 points, think it's slightly more expensive so maybe take the points if its not an issue

http://www.theaa.com/aadrivetech/driver-awareness/speed-awareness-course.html

From what I understand, it needs a UK Licence to do the course. I had this conversation with someone that had an international licence and was rejected, even in court, to do the drivers course because he needed a UK Licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Sully wrote: »
    From what I understand, it needs a UK Licence to do the course. I had this conversation with someone that had an international licence and was rejected, even in court, to do the drivers course because he needed a UK Licence.

I did the course myself in NI with an Irish licence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 drakkardnoir

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still not really any clearer on whether this will affect my insurance or not but I will see how I get on.

td2008 wrote: »
    I did the course myself in NI with an Irish licence :)

Wonder does it depend on the country? The story I was told was with a paper licence from Holland. Or it could have been just a story with no real substance!
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm still not really any clearer on whether this will affect my insurance or not but I will see how I get on.

One would presume, when asked if you have any points on your licence (which is your Irish Licence) than you would say no. There not asking about a licence you don't have, even if it's a shadow licence. It's why a lot of English or Polish in Ireland don't go for local licences, because they don't get points. But apparently having an International licence is more costly with insurance.

Advertisement